How does the tipping work?

Nikobaby

Since I am new to this cruising thing I have alot of questions so here is one more! When you use your S&S card and order a drink...do they add the tip on to every thing you order? I havent the faintest clue how the whole tipping thing works..I thought I heard it was a per day thing. Can anybody give me the low down on this.

BTW....I have 21 more days till I leave so I will probably have at least 21 more questions so please bare with me. :rolleyes:

Thanks AGAIN!!

Since I am new to this cruising thing I have alot of questions so here is one more! When you use your S&S card and order a drink...do they add the tip on to every thing you order? I havent the faintest clue how the whole tipping thing works..I thought I heard it was a per day thing. Can anybody give me the low down on this.

BTW....I have 21 more days till I leave so I will probably have at least 21 more questions so please bare with me. :rolleyes:

Thanks AGAIN!!

When you get drinks from the bar gratituty is added to the bill on our first cruise we didn't realize this and DH was adding a $1 or $2 each time.....had great service that week but a really high bar bill. When you order drinks through room service gratituty is also added but we usually take some $1 bills to tip the server cause sometimes room service can be slow bringing drinks and once word gets out they bring it much faster. :D

This is from Carnival's FAQs:

What is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gifService Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

Please realize that the wait staff at dinner may also work the buffet line or dining room during breakfast or lunch.

The very first thing you will see on your sail and sign bill (on the first day of the cruise) is your automatic tip, which equals $70 per passenger. Many people are suprised that this is added at the beginning of the cruise, so be aware that if you put cash on your account, you should deduct $70 from how much you think you have.

If you want to tip additional $ to say your room steward, you can pay them by cash. If you receive incredibly lousy service, you can go to the purser and have the tips removed, although they will do everything they can to convince you not to remove tips, so be prepared for that.

The 15% gratuity on drinks is included in the overall cost for the drink, so you won't see a breakdown such as "cocktail, $5, tip .75 cents", it will just show up as $5.75 on your account.

Thanks AGAIN!!

When you order a drink the tip is included. They now charge you all tips to service personnel on your sail and sign card. If you think service is good then you are free to give more.

The 15% gratuity on drinks is included in the overall cost for the drink, so you won't see a breakdown such as "cocktail, $5, tip .75 cents", it will just show up as $5.75 on your account.

It isn't broken down on your S&S account, but the price of the drink and the 15% tip are listed separately on the sales slip you sign when you buy the drink.

This is from Carnival's FAQs:

What is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gifService Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

Please realize that the wait staff at dinner may also work the buffet line or dining room during breakfast or lunch.

Question... So if you prepay your gratuties.. is the 15% still auto added to drink orders?

Question... So if you prepay your gratuties.. is the 15% still auto added to drink orders?

yes, that is additional.

It is also customary to tip room service a dollar or two if you use them.

Last Carnival cruise I was on (Elation) the pool attendant brought drinks to the person next to us, who asked about the tip. The attendant said the 15% added automatically was for the bartender, and the "extra" line was for him. I am not sure that is true. However, there are two people involved when a waiter brings you the drink, as opposed to you going to the bar and ordering it yourself, where only the bartender is involved.

Last Carnival cruise I was on (Elation) the pool attendant brought drinks to the person next to us, who asked about the tip. The attendant said the 15% added automatically was for the bartender, and the "extra" line was for him. I am not sure that is true. However, there are two people involved when a waiter brings you the drink, as opposed to you going to the bar and ordering it yourself, where only the bartender is involved.

Very true...the tips are pooled, and they are paid on a "quota" type system based on how many drinks they sell... anything you give them directly they get to keep

Archived