Electrical Outlet Location

DougandEric

We are in a BA balcony on Lido deck and I was thinking of putting up a string of Christmas lights on the balcony railing ('twinky lights' as we used to call them - the kind for artificial trees). I found some battery operated lights but they state for indoor use only. So I thought a standard electrical string would work but I don't know where the electrical outlet is in the room. I suspect it's on the desk near the balcony door - is this correct? I can pick up the lights and an extension cord in LA before boarding and not have to pack either. Anyone ever do this?

Thanks,

Doug

Would be very cautious about doing this.

Reason: Christmas Tree light strings are not "Grounded".

Even outdoor ones.

So, if it rains and there is some sort of "fault" in the wire insulation, you could have some problems.

Suggest that you check with the Pursers Desk when you board.

There is an outlet at the vanity desk near the balcony door, but I agree that it is not the safest idea - particularly after the Star fire was said to have started on a balcony (but not by 'twinkly lights').

I didn't notice if you mentioned which ship you were on, but some ships have a small foyer table on the wall between the bedroom and bathroom and it has an electrical outlet under it in balcony cabins.

You could take the lights and not leave them out or on all the time, just if some evenings you wanted to sit on your balcony. That would greatly decrease the risk of fire and damage due to water (not only rain but the automatic window washers that come by some late nights/early mornings).

We just leave a GFCI power strip in our luggage b/c of the outlet situation (that is, ONE) that we run into on ships, hotels, etc. Sounds like a nice idea WHILE YOU'RE USING THE BALCONY, just so you unplug them after use, which I supposed you'd have to do anyway to close and lock the door.

Archived