Formal nights

Maui Jim

I am just curious as to anytime dining on formal nights. I was reading Cruisediva's Cruisewear recommendations and was a bit confused as to what would be considered appropriate on formal nights in the anytime dining rooms. I know I myself will be wearing a suit on formal nights but, will other men dress country club casual ? and I Quote.

If "formal" just isn't in your vocabulary or your lifestyle, consider booking on one of the cruise lines that have modified it or done away with it altogether. Norwegian Cruise Line and Princess Cruises have introduced "Freestyle Cruising" and "Personal Choice Cruising"offering passengers either the traditional cruise dining experience or a more resort-style open dining schedule.

Formal wear is exactly the same in anytime dining and traditional dining. If you chose not to dine in the dining rooms there is the buffet. By the way this is a very "hot" subject on this board so be prepared.

Marilyn

I am just curious as to anytime dining on formal nights. I was reading Cruisediva's Cruisewear recommendations and was a bit confused as to what would be considered appropriate on formal nights in the anytime dining rooms. I know I myself will be wearing a suit on formal nights but, will other men dress country club casual ? and I Quote.

If "formal" just isn't in your vocabulary or your lifestyle, consider booking on one of the cruise lines that have modified it or done away with it altogether. Norwegian Cruise Line and Princess Cruises have introduced "Freestyle Cruising" and "Personal Choice Cruising"offering passengers either the traditional cruise dining experience or a more resort-style open dining schedule.

I would be confused reading this also if I hadn't been on many Princess cruises.

You will be dressed as suggested but there is no telling from one cruise to another what others will do.

The dress, formal or smart casual, is what is suggested for the evening - not just for the dining rooms. This has been modified by many cruisers to mean just for the Traditional or Anytime dining rooms. In recent years it has also been interpreted by many to mean just in the dining rooms and not for the entire evening or the Horizon Court. On formal nights you will find people who do not dress as suggested and thus do not eat in the dining rooms or they change after going to the dining rooms. Others go to the dining rooms in nice slacks and open collared shirts. The attitude over the years has changed to "this is my cruise and I'm going to dress as I please."

As mentioned above this is a very "hot" topic on these boards.

Just go on the cruise and dress as you feel appropriate and do not worry about what others do. No matter what anyone wears it will not take away from you having a wonderful cruise.

Enjoy.:)

Great response BJS. I always try to dress appropriately and as you say, I also see people that are dressed how some would consider inappropriately. When ever I read a post were someone feels that they should impose what they think is appropriate on others, it makes me think of the following quote.

"People are divided into two groups – the righteous and the unrighteous – and the righteous do the dividing" (Oscar Wilde)

And, a sport jacket and "long pants" is not a suit.

I was in the elevator one non-formal night and a man was wearing a non-formal sport jacket and open collar shirt. An older man who appeared to be the type that hated wearing anything dressy saw the other man in a jacket and sputtered out, "oh no is this another formal night?"

After the older guy left the elevator, the man in the jacket said, "I guess I'm over dressed.":eek:

Cruisediva is very misleading... and basically incorrect. She implies that if you don't want to dress formally, you can do "Personal Choice" dining. But she fails to explain that the part of Personal Choice dining that's casual on formal nights is the buffet, not the Anytime dining rooms or the specialty restaurants which have the same dress code as the Traditional dining room.

You will see some men dress country club casual in the dining rooms on formal nights because: a) they read CruiseDiva's advice; b) they don't have a clue; or, c) they don't care that they could be turned away at the door, depending on how "casual" they're dressed.

You'll be FINE in the suit.

We were on CB for the 10/7 cruise and had Anytime dining. We personally saw the Maitre'D turn away a group of 4 informally dressed adults on the first formal night, and while we were in the Palm saw only formal attire. Btw, there were far more suits than tuxes.

On the second formal night, we had reservations at one of the specialty restaurants at 6. We did observe *one* gentleman in a polo shirt there ( but all the other men in the restaurant were in suits or tuxes) and my DH teased me that he didn't "really" have to wear a suit. :rolleyes:

Have a great cruise! :)

We were in Sabatini's on a formal night. A man in his twenties and an older woman were at a table across from us. He was wearing jeans, a tee-shirt with some band’s logo on it and a baseball cap. I had never seen anyone dress like this in a dinning room at any time, much less on a formal night. They were speaking French and we wondered if it was some cultural thing. The woman wasn't dressed like the man, but she was dressed very casual.

It really didn’t bother us, but we did find it unusual.

If you are on Princess ship-since this is a Princess thread. Look at the Patter(newsletter) each day, it will tell you what the dress "code" is for that particular evening. :) This only applies to the Traditional Dining Room(s), speciality Dining Room(s), and the Anytime Dinning Room(s).

You are free to dress how you want in the buffet ( i think no bathing suits) and room service. I know as previous posters say-THIS IS A HOT TOPIC. I have found on my 2 Princess cruises that most dress as suggested, but definitely not many evening gowns or tuxes.

We have become a very relaxed society.:)

I just saw some baseball footage from the 40's and all the men were in suits and the ladies in dresses. Now, we go to the game in our shorts & T-shirts.

This only applies to the Traditional Dining Room(s), speciality Dining Room(s), and the Anytime Dinning Room(s).

You are free to dress how you want in the buffet ( i think no bathing suits) and room service.

Don't they usually ask that you observe the formal attire throughout the ship in all public areas for the whole evening? This will be my first Princess cruise but I know other lines said that, at least that's what I think I recall. Not in your own room with room service of course. :eek:

Don't they usually ask that you observe the formal attire throughout the ship in all public areas for the whole evening? This will be my first Princess cruise but I know other lines said that, at least that's what I think I recall. Not in your own room with room service of course. :eek:

Casual clothing is fine at the buffet for dinner, even on formal night.

Cruisediva either wrote this very poorly or isn't fully versed in the on-board policies.

In the public areas of the ship on formal night except the dining rooms, you can dress how you want to. So if you want to dine in the dining room on formal night in your formal wear and then go change clothes to go to the show, etc. it is your call. Of course if you don't want to dress in your formal wear on formal night you can eat at the Buffet. So many choices.

Having just returned from The 10/13/07 Golden Princess, I can tell you what our head Waiter said. He asked where of our group was on formal Night we said that he did not want to dress up so he had room service. Our head waiter said that casual was OK as they were instructed not to deny anyone from coming into the dining room. On the next night one gentleman had on a pair of shorts, Levi type with supenders. We had the table all 7 nights and can say it seemed that most were dressed up on formal nights but not all. This was in a anytime dining room.

Cricketdog

Archived