Flying out of Anchorage-Princess Cruisetour #7N

midwestsolo

I am looking at Sapphire Princess 7NB cruisetour for starting May 17,2008, with my son. Time restraints due to work will not allow me to do an independent tour after landing in Whittier. My question regards the last two days on the cruisetour. By my calculation we should arrive back in Anchorage sometime on May 26, 2008(Memorial Day) and the cruise tour itinerary shows the tour ending the following morning(May 27,2008). Would we be able to get flights to Chicago, St Louis, or Minneapolis on the evening of May 26 or wil we arrive too late in Anchorage that day? When looking at returning flights, it seems to me that a lot of them are later in the day. I would like to get some rest before going back to work at the latest on May 28, knowing whatever time or airport we come back to from Anchorage, we are looking at least a five hour drive home. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help

I am looking at Sapphire Princess 7NB cruisetour for starting May 17,2008, with my son. Time restraints due to work will not allow me to do an independent tour after landing in Whittier. My question regards the last two days on the cruisetour. By my calculation we should arrive back in Anchorage sometime on May 26, 2008(Memorial Day) and the cruise tour itinerary shows the tour ending the following morning(May 27,2008). Would we be able to get flights to Chicago, St Louis, or Minneapolis on the evening of May 26 or wil we arrive too late in Anchorage that day? When looking at returning flights, it seems to me that a lot of them are later in the day. I would like to get some rest before going back to work at the latest on May 28, knowing whatever time or airport we come back to from Anchorage, we are looking at least a five hour drive home. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help

8 Whittier/Denali

Disembark in Whittier and board the Denali Express rail directly to Denali National Park. Enjoy the evening at leisure at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge.

9 Denali/Mt. McKinley

This morning, take an educational tour into Denali National Park. Then, travel by motorcoach to the south side of Denali for a night at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge.

10 Mt. McKinley/Anchorage

The morning is free to either relax at the lodge or choose one of the many optional excursions. Continue by motorcoach to Anchorage for the night.

11 Anchorage

Your tour ends this morning in Anchorage.

Yes, you can take an overnight flight home night of 5-26-08, but you would be wasting your hotel fee, since I highly doubt they are going to refund it??

I know you don't ask, but this is a very poor tour choice. It includes NEITHER "tour" into Denali Park, you essentially are going to go to the visitor center for a little presentation and thats it. (verify this, but in the past was as such, NO Natural History tour even) They "claim" you are 2 nights in "Denali Park", problem is, it's the STATE Park one night and no opportunity for the national park from the McKinley lodge- which has VERY little to do there.

Not sure in your case. But you certainly could manage to consider Denali park on your own, for a way superior experience, taking the shuttle to Toklat. This would require a rental car. , although a long day, you could drive yourself to Denali Park your first day. The train just about parallels the Park Highway on this entire portion, so the train is no advantage and takes at least 2 hours longer.

Next day can do the Toklat Shuttle into the park, farthest you can go in your timeframe. Overnight, then drive back to Anchorage, the next day, with the ADDED, multi interesting stops you can make. Overnight flight home.

Pretty simple and easy to arrange if you desire and way superior to the cruisetour. Probably significant savings as well. Just something to consider.

Thanks for your quick reply. I do not want to drive this time(for personal reasons) aware it may be the best way to go. What I am looking at now is just doing the cruise portion, transferring to Anchorage, spending the day there and then either purchasing round trip train tickets to Denali or purchasing the Denali Star tour through the Alaskan Railroad with 2 nights @ McKinley Chalet is around $1100.00 leaving on May 25. Would this be an option for me? Would it allow us to get into the park on the shuttle each day?

Thanks for your quick reply. I do not want to drive this time(for personal reasons) aware it may be the best way to go. What I am looking at now is just doing the cruise portion, transferring to Anchorage, spending the day there and then either purchasing round trip train tickets to Denali or purchasing the Denali Star tour through the Alaskan Railroad with 2 nights @ McKinley Chalet is around $1100.00 leaving on May 25. Would this be an option for me? Would it allow us to get into the park on the shuttle each day?

I suggest you purchase one of the coupon books available since they have railroad and lodge discounts. http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

Yes the Toklat Shuttle will be available and the farthest you can go in your time frame- mile 53, the buses should be clear for most if not all of that distance, and the ONLY recommendation I give for Denali park.

Archived