BEST swimming pools? Which lines or ships

Fogfog

Thanks.

I wondered because it seems that pool depth and size really do vary from line to line and class of ship etc...

I think *most* cruiselines have pools that are at least 5 feet deep. Many seem so small to me. Once you put a few people in they are already crowded.

There are a few who have extras. Carnival has the extra slides (and on certain classes they are adding a new water works, but the ships are older ships)

Disney has water slides but those slides cater to YOUNGER children not teens. They also have a family pool on Disney.

RCCL (like I said above) has the H20 zone and sports pools (and adult solariums) on Freedom Class ships. On Voyager Class ships (not Mariner and Navigator) they have "Adventure Beach" slides. But they seem like they are for younger children too.

Thanks all

My boys are tween/teens--and so the bigger and deeper the better.

My memory has me thinking the adult pool on Disnety was large--but I dont recall...and they wouldn't be in it--we are past Disney cruising anyway

I just recall the aft pool (adults only) on Carnival Miracle was crowded once a few were in it..and it got warm fast in the hot southern carribean sun...

I don't recall what the pool for families was like--it had alot of small kids in it...

I just wondered if some cruise lines are known for better pools than others...

maybe the new-er ships of any line have nicer pools?

Cunard's Queen Mary 2 has a deep pool at the back of the ship and an indoor pool, which I didn't get in because it was too crowded. There is a childrens pool also which is shallower. Nice selection of pools and all freshwater.

I loved the Queen Mary 2

Does "freshwater" imply "chorinated"? And does saltwater mean they are NOT chorinated? Is one considered safer than the other in terms of getting sick?

This is the big debate here at CC. No one knows for sure. Some say the fresh water on QE2 IS chlorinated. I don't remember a particular strong smell of chlorine on RCCL Freedom which is fresh water.

And the debate has always said that's why they keep unpotty trained children out of the pools (except on the special ships) because salt water cannot kill the bacteria.

"Freshwater " is the type of pool most of us know. It's the chlorine-smell, YMCA, etc. that we grew up with. You add chlorine tabs or liquid to keep the pool disinfected. That's how you get the chlorine in. I think they only started calling them "freshwater" to distinguish them from the "saltwater" pools.

"Saltwater" pools are newer and many people haven't actually experienced them unless they live in the Sun Belt or have been on a cruise ship with one. I don't exactly understand how they work, but the "salt" aspect of it involves (remember chemistry?) converting NaCl (salt) into the chlorine component.

So, both do involve chlorine as a cleaner, but they "taste" different. For example, my scuba gear tastes like I got out of the ocean after I get out of a saltwater pool.

Both have pros and cons for the equipment, cost, how hard they are on the pool, your swimsuit, etc. Both are SAFE and disinfected, if the people maintaining them know what they're doing.

I know this doesn't totally answer the question, but it should set your mind at ease about the pools being chlorinated for safety's sake. How well they keep them up is another discussion topic!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

"Freshwater " is the type of pool most of us know. It's the chlorine-smell, YMCA, etc. that we grew up with. You add chlorine tabs or liquid to keep the pool disinfected. That's how you get the chlorine in. I think they only started calling them "freshwater" to distinguish them from the "saltwater" pools.

"Saltwater" pools are newer and many people haven't actually experienced them unless they live in the Sun Belt or have been on a cruise ship with one. I don't exactly understand how they work, but the "salt" aspect of it involves (remember chemistry?) converting NaCl (salt) into the chlorine component.

So, both do involve chlorine as a cleaner, but they "taste" different. For example, my scuba gear tastes like I got out of the ocean after I get out of a saltwater pool.

Both have pros and cons for the equipment, cost, how hard they are on the pool, your swimsuit, etc. Both are SAFE and disinfected, if the people maintaining them know what they're doing.

I know this doesn't totally answer the question, but it should set your mind at ease about the pools being chlorinated for safety's sake. How well they keep them up is another discussion topic!

PHXscuba

Our pool is a typical chlorinated pool--the salt-based pools at homes here in my community --use a salt feeder and there is a chemical balance that then converts the salt --I guess regarding the sodium vs the chloride part

....I am considering changing our pool over the salt system because its easier to manage (in FL) and we hate the tons of chlorine...another option is a bromine pool--using that as the anit-bacterial agent. This is what spas are often stabilized with...

As for ships pools--I thought most used treated seawater....but I guess it varies---

ships have a desalinization system -yes? for your shower and faucet water--right? So I guess some use that system for pools--others use treated sea water.

I just was wondering about how deep and large pools are from ship to ship:rolleyes:

PHXscuba

Um, if you don't mind, I need to correct you with one point you made. Salt water pools have been around for a long time and not just in the Sun Belt. While growing up my parents took us kids to Maine almost every summer. This was back in the early 70's. The resort that we vacationed at along the shore had a true salt water pool. Meaning that ocean water from the Atlantic Ocean was pumped in to the pool. Whether or not additional filtering and/or cleaning was done I'm not sure. Many resorts in Maine do this. It was quite the experience to swim in a true salt water pool and it was not heated.

HAL ships have the Oasis for teens on the top deck. It is a outdoor area decorated as a beach paradise. There is no deep pool but there is a shallow area that has a waterfall coming from overhead.

It made us (two couples in their 50's) wish we were teens again.

Archived