Travel Insurance

fhmoore

I am in awe of how quickly we received our refund from AIG-Travel Guard. We had to leave the Connie Transatlantic September cruise the morning of our Newfoundland stop due to the death of my DH's father.

We had to pay an outrageous amount to fly home from St John's......almost $1400 per person! Air Canada was the only airline with a flight out after our docking time and they do not give bereavement fares. Ricardo, the concierge, had the On Line computer center opened for us so we could book on Orbitz. He found that fare on his computer after allowing us to use the Constellation's phone to call Air Canada. The customer service person at AC had quoted $1900 pp!!!

We mailed in our claim to Travel Guard after waiting for the death certificate on October 5th. We received our refund last Friday! It included the airfare and an extra $300 pp for missing 4 cruise days.

If anyone says you don't need travel insurance...tell 'em our story. Quite a good return on our $120 per person investment!

Frances

We've only cruised twice but also went to Hawaii for a land vacation for 2 weeks over Christmas. All three times we used Travel Guard. Never had to use them but never regretted it either. I sleep SO much better knowing I have it.

Hi Frances,

I'm so sorry you and Billy had to use the insurance under those circumstances. However, they certainly did their part to not make the situation worse.

We used to use Travel Guard, but switched to CSA. We usually move bookings around and therefore, have pre-existing conditions to cover. You can get CSA at final payment and pre-existing conditions are not excluded.

Have you and Billy booked another cruise?

Hootsie,

The "regular" Travel Guard..I forget the actual name but it wasn't the "premium". We did buy it at booking so pre-existing conditions would be covered. In our situation it didn't matter since his father died of a heart attack and not from the mini-strokes he was in the midst of rehabilitation.

CaroleSP

Good to hear from you. Hi to Al. I will look into CSA. We've booked the Norwegian Jewel for next Sept transatlantic. I'm not an NCL fan but we wanted to "re-do" our TA and the itinerary had a good alternation of sea and port days. It also stops in Reykjavik (Billy's always wanted to go there) and will allow us to pick up St John's that we missed! It was "cheap" too!

We are contemplating the Millenium April 2009 Hawaii Repo to Vancouver or the Royal Caribbean Rhapsody with the same approximate date and itinerary. We booked the Rhapsody during the "Big Sale" last week to get the on board credits. But, may switch to the Millennium.

Hootsie,

The "regular" Travel Guard..I forget the actual name but it wasn't the "premium". We did buy it at booking so pre-existing conditions would be covered. In our situation it didn't matter since his father died of a heart attack and not from the mini-strokes he was in the midst of rehabilitation.

Good to know, it sounds like the one we bought (ProtectAssist-Gold). It wasn't the most expensive but the next one in line.

What an awful thing to have to experience during your cruise. Again, I'm so sorry.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It really makes me feel more comfortable. We recently purchased the same TravelGuard policy. My mother has terminal cancer and the doctors have not give her long to live.

We agonized all last month as to canceling our Dec 2 TA. My mother wanted us to go so we finally bought the TravelGuard policy the same day as final payment was due. This is the first time we have purchase insurance but will probably not be the last.

Archived