What is for sale in the papyrus store

kruzin'

After a demostration of how the reeds are made into papyrus, you have the opportunity to show. There is a variety of art work and objects such a ssmall boxes made from papyrus. They include things like Nile River scenes and pictures of the gods.

Papyrus, of course, is the most ancient form of paper ... the word paper even comes from papyrus. It is made from reeds growing along the Nile river. Most Papyrus stores will include a demonstration of the process, and then many different items painted on papyrus.

Check out

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/egyptmain.html

for a picture of a papyrus demonstration. In the background you can see just a small portion of the art available. There are two general topics --

Egyptian art, including many versions of the famous Court of the Dead -- and Islamic verses from the Koran. We got a beautiful verse regarding repentance for sins from the surah known as El Bakkara, which reads very much as if it were from the book of Deuteronomy, and also a beautiful painting of the cat goddess Bast for our daughter.

Prices range from very reasonable for small ones to extremely high for beautiful things like the scene behind the girl in the picture.

Have a GREAT cruise!

:) thanks for your post...it sounds like a purchase from the papyrus store is just what my daughter would go crazy over...was your purchase framed for easy transporting or did you have to make other arrangements to get it home without being damaged? I think I read that some travelers have taken tubes with them (like the ones sold in the P.O.) to assure no damage to the piece but they might have bought larger pieces...I like the size of the ones in your photo on the wall behind the young lady..P.S. I have also enjoyed your many other posts on the threads you both seem to be world travelers..thanks again

Papyrus, of course, is the most ancient form of paper ... the word paper even comes from papyrus. It is made from reeds growing along the Nile river. Most Papyrus stores will include a demonstration of the process, and then many different items painted on papyrus.

Check out

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/egyptmain.html

for a picture of a papyrus demonstration. In the background you can see just a small portion of the art available. There are two general topics --

Egyptian art, including many versions of the famous Court of the Dead -- and Islamic verses from the Koran. We got a beautiful verse regarding repentance for sins from the surah known as El Bakkara, which reads very much as if it were from the book of Deuteronomy, and also a beautiful painting of the cat goddess Bast for our daughter.

Prices range from very reasonable for small ones to extremely high for beautiful things like the scene behind the girl in the picture.

Have a GREAT cruise!

:) thanks for your post...it sounds like a purchase from the papyrus store is just what my daughter would go crazy over...was your purchase framed for easy transporting or did you have to make other arrangements to get it home without being damaged? I think I read that some travelers have taken tubes with them (like the ones sold in the P.O.) to assure no damage to the piece but they might have bought larger pieces...I like the size of the ones in your photo on the wall behind the young lady..P.S. I have also enjoyed your many other posts on the threads you both seem to be world travelers..thanks again

No, a framed one would be very hard to transport. The Koran verse was rolled for transport. The papyrus store is expert in packing them so no real need to take your own tubes. The picture of Bast was smaller so it travelled flat in an envelope.

I covet that big Court of the Dead behind the girl in the pic, but it is expensive. Since my DW plans to shop for a Turkish carpet next month in Ephesus, I am hoping that by the time we get to Cairo I will have a bargaining point with her!;)

If you want cheap souvenirs for your friends, at every antiquity site there are kids selling little bookmarks made from low quality papyrus at a price like 10 for $2 or so.

How much are these papyrus paintings. Are they really that expensive?

It depends on size and quality. All over Egypt are little kids selling papyrus bookmarks for next to nothing. There are vendors with small paintings for just a few bucks. In a nice papyrus store, small paintings or boxes might run $10 to $30. AIRC our nice Koran verse, about 15"x15" was something like $60. The Court of the Dead paintings run from that price to .... well, the one I covet is probably in the hundreds. Most of the high class stores don't negotiate very much but you can always try.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived