Valpraiso - Santiago Airport transfer

ROLF-VA

I know this question has probably been answered before; however my search of the first several pages did come up with anything.

We will be arriving Valpraiso cruise port on 11/25 and want to transfer directly to the Santiago International Airport (SCL) to catch a 1pm flight.

Can anyone suggest a company who provides this service or are there taxis at the port? There will be 2 of us with carry-on size luggage only.

thanks for your help.

I know this question has probably been answered before; however my search of the first several pages did come up with anything.

We will be arriving Valpraiso cruise port on 11/25 and want to transfer directly to the Santiago International Airport (SCL) to catch a 1pm flight.

Can anyone suggest a company who provides this service or are there taxis at the port? There will be 2 of us with carry-on size luggage only.

thanks for your help.

Carryon size luggage only-you could catch the local bus-$5.00. Every 30 minutes to Santiago, taxi from the pier to the bus should be less than $10.00. Tur Bus or Centropuerto leave from the Valparaiso main bus station to the University of Santiago station. You will have to either take the airport bus, taxi or shuttle van to get to the airport from University station. Allow at least 2.5 hours with transfers. And you will need 2+ hours for check in at the airport. You are really cutting it close with a 1:00PM flight.

There are taxi's, van's and other types of private transport from Valparaiso. Best arranged in advance. About $60-75.00pp for private transport.

I would also see what the cost of a transfer would be from your cruise line. Even if it is more than say a private transfer, I would go with the cruise line. It is a fairly long drive (about 90 minutes depending on traffic) and if it was me I would be more interested in reliability. With the cruise line you know the bus will be there and that it is all coordinated through the same operator that they use for their shore excursions, etc.

I have done this before and thought this was the best way to go given the long distance involved.

Keith

I would also see what the cost of a transfer would be from your cruise line. Even if it is more than say a private transfer, I would go with the cruise line. It is a fairly long drive (about 90 minutes depending on traffic) and if it was me I would be more interested in reliability. With the cruise line you know the bus will be there and that it is all coordinated through the same operator that they use for their shore excursions, etc.

I have done this before and thought this was the best way to go given the long distance involved.

Keith

Just curious-do the cruise ship buses get to the airport by 10:30AM???? Check in for South American flights REQUIRES a bare minimum of 2 hours check in.

The 1:00PM flight may necessitate taking private transport (best arranged well in advance) or the local bus. Finding a private taxi to go to Santiago at the pier would be prohibitively difficult, unless you speak the language fluently.

There is the LAN bus which goes directly to the airport from Valparaiso, but the first bus is about 8:30AM, so don't know whether the OP can be off the ship in time for that bus. The next LAN bus is about 11:00AM, so no help there. The LAN buses are supposed to be for LAN passengers, but I have taken the bus a couple of times without any problems (of course, I flew in on AA, so that may have helped).

To the OP-

If you are on the COPA flight at 12:58PM, you are REALLY cutting it close. You will have to be at the airport NO LATER than 10:30AM, or you may not get checked in. Lines generally are VERY VERY long and South American airlines are VERY picky about check in times.

Private transport is the ONLY way I can see you will make it. It is a 2 hour drive at that hour of the morning. You will have to be OFF the ship and through customs NO LATER than 8:30AM. Hopefully, the ship gets cleared early and customs is ready for early departures. Good luck!!!!

Greatam. . .

This is "off subject", but it's good to see you again - you had given me some suggestions for guides in S.E.Asia - which I used - and was very happy with the results! So, a belated "thank you".

Fran

Just curious-do the cruise ship buses get to the airport by 10:30AM???? Check in for South American flights REQUIRES a bare minimum of 2 hours check in.

The 1:00PM flight may necessitate taking private transport (best arranged well in advance) or the local bus. Finding a private taxi to go to Santiago at the pier would be prohibitively difficult, unless you speak the language fluently.

There is the LAN bus which goes directly to the airport from Valparaiso, but the first bus is about 8:30AM, so don't know whether the OP can be off the ship in time for that bus. The next LAN bus is about 11:00AM, so no help there. The LAN buses are supposed to be for LAN passengers, but I have taken the bus a couple of times without any problems (of course, I flew in on AA, so that may have helped).

If one wants to make a 1:00 PM flight the cruise line buses will work. You will be off the ship early and in plenty of time to get to the airport. I would go with the bus from the cruise line because of the reliability. This isn't the time to go on a local bus between all of the luggage one has on a cruise, and not necessarily speaking the local language and never having done that route before (I'm talking about the typical tourist).

When we have long distances to travel for a transfer I will almost always go with the local cruise transfers or with a private transfer, but usually with the cruise line. If it's a short distance, we'll normally do that on our own.

Keith

hi ron and lynne-really sorry to hear of your quandry-i suppose its not possible to re-arrange your flight?i hate that kind of gamble.i doubt it would make any difference but the clocks go back november 4th.or in your case forward in santiago.sorry grasping at straws now!!good luck and keep us informed.bill

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the Infinti cruise BA to Valparsio in Feb. Our flight on March 1 is very late so we need a tour ending at the airport. I know Celebrity has a tour, but I was told that there might be better choices. Can anyone recommend a company they used? Did anyone have a bad experience with any company? All help appreciated! I know several of you have done this cruise in the past and your suggestions have been helpful in our planning.

NJ Gal-Evelyn

We will be on the Infinti cruise BA to Valparsio in Feb. Our flight on March 1 is very late so we need a tour ending at the airport. I know Celebrity has a tour, but I was told that there might be better choices. Can anyone recommend a company they used? Did anyone have a bad experience with any company? All help appreciated! I know several of you have done this cruise in the past and your suggestions have been helpful in our planning.

NJ Gal-Evelyn

We will be in Valariso next month and had an agency recommended to us. You can look them up on the net or email them at:

www.turismonuevomundo.com

We have not booked wiith them yet, but they have emailed us several times with information and they come highly recommended. I have not yet had time to compare their rates with those from the ship, however.

Archived