Anytime Dinning Reservations

tkq

There are 10 of us sailing next week on the Caribbean Princess. We are scheduled for anytime dinning as we would like to visit each of the dinning rooms. I am concernced since we are a larger group we may have a longer wait time for dinner.

Does anyone know, are you able to make reservations in advance for a particular dinning room and time? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

If you plan on visiting different anytime dining rooms each night (sort of a rotation schedule?), then call the dining reservation number at 8 am and make your reservation for 10. Check the patter or the phone directory for the number to call.

We used to do this until we decided we wanted to just choose one dining room, one table, one waiter for the entire trip. We like to eat at 5:30 so our evening is completely free. So we make our reservation on the day of embarkation by visiting the dining rooms, choosing the table, and setting up a standard reservation for the entire cruise with the maitre d'. Works out great for us.

You cannot make a reservation for between 6:00 - 8:00PM in the Anytime dining room(s) but you can in the Specialty (extra charge) restaurants. Your best bet with that sized group and if you don't want to wait very long is to eat very early in the Anytime, i.e., before 6:30PM, probably earlier. After that, chances increase that you will have a wait.

You cannot make a reservation for between 6:00 - 8:00PM in the Anytime dining room(s) but you can in the Specialty (extra charge) restaurants. Your best bet with that sized group and if you don't want to wait very long is to eat very early in the Anytime, i.e., before 6:30PM, probably earlier. After that, chances increase that you will have a wait.

Sorry, but we were on the Star last year and DID make reservations for 6:00 PM the next day for our table of 8 in anytime dining. We couldn't the 1st night but were able to the rest of the cruise, 1 day at a time for the next day, same table, same waiter/ass't. waiter. It worked GREAT for us. We have cruised 2 X since and have another coming up 11/26 - 12/06, Emerald. We've chosen early fixed seating since we also like to have the rest of our evening free. Also, keep in mind you won't be able to use the fixed seating dining rooms since those tables are assigned, though some abuse that and try to go to anytime if they don't care for the table they've been assigned. With that large a group, if you want to all sit together, you'd better reserve early; - not that many tables to accommodate you all unless you don't mind being split up! WE'RE CRUISING!

There are 10 of us sailing next week on the Caribbean Princess. We are scheduled for anytime dinning as we would like to visit each of the dinning rooms. I am concernced since we are a larger group we may have a longer wait time for dinner.

Does anyone know, are you able to make reservations in advance for a particular dinning room and time? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

You should see the maitre-d the first day you board and let him know your request. There is only a choice of two dining rooms for anytime.

Somebody please enlighten me. What is the purpose of "trying out" the different anytime diningrooms on the CB? Don't they all have the same food?:confused:
Yes they do have the same food. The Palm Dining room is always less crowded.

Sorry, but we were on the Star last year and DID make reservations for 6:00 PM the next day for our table of 8 in anytime dining.
Glad this worked out for you. I probably should have qualified my post by saying AFTER 6:00PM, i.e., that you can't make a reservation for after 6:00PM or before 8:00PM. This is pretty standard on Princess ships although some Maitre D's don't always follow it.

Glad this worked out for you. I probably should have qualified my post by saying AFTER 6:00PM, i.e., that you can't make a reservation for after 6:00PM or before 8:00PM. This is pretty standard on Princess ships although some Maitre D's don't always follow it.

Yes, the latest you could make a reservation on the early side was 6 and you could also make them for 8 and after. I didn't realize this until we were on the Crown last week. They did follow the rules. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but you can also make reservations by phone but you have to do this before 4. We had no problem with Anytime Dining and getting the table we wanted. All of the dining rooms have the same food.

Yes, the latest you could make a reservation on the early side was 6 and you could also make them for 8 and after. I didn't realize this until we were on the Crown last week. They did follow the rules. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but you can also make reservations by phone but you have to do this before 4. We had no problem with Anytime Dining and getting the table we wanted. All of the dining rooms have the same food.
Actually you CAN make reservations after 6:00 or before 8:00 if you offer a generous tip to the

Maitre-D.;)

Thanks for info. We plan on eating on the early side so are evenings are free and able to attend the early shows.

We realize the food is the same in every dinning room, but on past cruises have enjoyed the different decor of the dinnings rooms. Just a personal preference to try and experience it all.

Thanks again.

Since all 10 of you want to sit together and if I remember correctly, there is only 1 ten-person dining table in each dining room. Check the brochure floor plan to see if I'm correct.

We always cruise with the 10 of us (2 grandparents, my family of 4 and my sister's family of 4). We prefer anytime dining because we have small children and once in a while, we need to eat at different times. As soon as the kids get older, this has become less common.

We call the reservation line as soon as we board the ship (or as soon as the line opens at noon) and immediately book the table for 10. Sometimes it's not possible to book the same dining room (i.e. the same 10-person table), so it's not up to you to pick which dining room you would like to eat in. I understand you would like to try different dining rooms even if the food served is the same. My kids like that. It makes them feel that they are going to different restaurants.

BTW, from our previous reservation experience, we were never able to reserve the dining table for the entire duration of the cruise. We usually have to reserve again for 3 more nights some time in the middle of the week.

Also, even though it's anytime dining, if you reserve a table, you can only choose the 6pm (6 to 6:20pm) or the 8pm (8 to 8:20pm) time slot. If you want to eat at 7pm, you will have to walk-in and take your chances. With 10 people, you will never get a table for 10 at 7pm using the walk-in method, no matter how much you tip the maitre d'.

If you want to eat earlier than 6pm, just show up early. If you reserve that table at 6, they are not likely to give this table away at 5pm. But as a courtesy to the service staff, don't show up later than 6:30pm. Otherwise, they can't serve you and get the table ready for the 8pm reservation. So you don't really need to tip extra to the maitre d' for showing up early if you reserve the 6pm table. But if you reserve the 8pm table, you can't really show up early and expect to be seated early, even if you tip the maitre d' because it would really depend on the diners who occupied your table at the 6pm slot. If they started their dinner late, say at 6:30pm, then it wouldn't be possible for you to show up at 7:30pm and expect to be seated at that table.

If you choose anytime dining, this is the only way to do it. If you don't want the hassle of reserving the table every 3 nights, you can get your travel agent to book the 10-person table ahead of time in the traditional dining room.

Don't worry about missing any major shows. All the shows are timed so first seating diners can watch the later shows and the second seating diners can watch the earlier shows. So there is no need to eat early. Showing up promptly at 6pm will allow you plenty of time to eat and relax before seeing the nightly extravaganza shows. But I don't think you'll be able to enjoy your dinner if you want to eat during the first seating and then try for the earlier shows. I don't think that's possible, unless you skip dessert and you eat at 5:30pm.

Archived