europe with the kids

Erwin Family @ Sea

Most parents find doing a crossing with kids not the best idea for two reasons: not many kids on that kind of cruise and with no ports to break up the cruise, the kids tend to get very antsy. I've now done five crossings and I could count on one hand the number of children on board.

I agree, their a fewer kids on board, our last T/A had only 60, of which about half spoke english( some how kids unlike the rest of us, dont let those little things get in the way of making friends and having fun). One thing to keep in mind is that most lines have a full childrens program and staff for the kids regardless of the number. Less kids = more personal attention. On cruise lines such as RCCL often the ship itself is the destination i.s. voyager and freedom class.

We have just completed 12 day Med cruise with our 10 year old daughter. She was only one of 39 kids on board (aged under 18) which was OK because there were only 3 sea days and she always accompanied us in port.

I would say the crossing would have been way too boring - while it is nice to get personal attention in the kids club the range of activities were extremely limited (lots of playstation and free time and few other activities)

She had a ball but again, we only had 3 sea days and one of those days she hung out by the pool with a girl she met in the club. I would say on any one day there would have been no more than 3 or 4 kids in total in the kids club and they combined activities alot.

So my recommendation would be to do the Med if your children are old enough to visit the ports with you but otherwise.....

We did a QM2 crossing with a 1.5 and a 3.5 year old. It was great, Cunard has a fabulous kids program (starts at age one and changes diapers). The grownups got a little bored but the boys were happy the whole time. There were other kids, most of them British. No transatlantic flight and no jet lag = a very good way to get to Europe.

Interested in doing a crossing with the kids? have you done one before? let us know.

I would like to go on a trans atlantic cruise, but our school schedule does not permit it. We have done several Europe cruises but only during the summer. These cruises have always had a fair number of kids on board, even on the Baltic. Our cruise from Southampton on Navigator must have had a 700+ kids on board although very few from anywhere other than the UK.

I have done two transatlantic crossings- a 14 day (may 2005) on Celebrity Millenium with a four year old and it was FANTASTIC! We never wanted to get off the ship. It was a destination into itself and we both decided we could live on a ship. That feeling has never changed.

This summer (August 2007) we did the six day crossing on Cunard and there were plenty of kids and it was again- wonderful. We were happy to get off after six days simply because we had been away from home for 24 days at this point but I loved both of our crossings.

I think it all depends what type of person you are. If you are a type A- anal- have to have plans and excursions all the time- go, go go type- Then you'll hate a crossing. If you like to decompress, relax and just enjoy lazy days at sea, walking the deck, floating in the heated pools, playing trivia in the pub, going to the planetarium, reading, taking naps, and playing board games with your kids- then a crossing is for you.

I did a T/A crossing with my DD(11) in August. We had a fabulous time. It was 14 nights on the Disney Magic - Barcelona to Port Canaveral. Plenty of kids on board and the kids and family activities were amazing. Unfortunatly, who knows when DCL will go back to Europe.

I did a T/A crossing with my DD(11) in August. We had a fabulous time. It was 14 nights on the Disney Magic - Barcelona to Port Canaveral. Plenty of kids on board and the kids and family activities were amazing. Unfortunatly, who knows when DCL will go back to Europe.

Kudos for disney in terms of catering to their core market with the August return of Magic - families with kids. I am sure that Disney will make it back to Europe especially when their new ships come on line.

This summer (August 2007) we did the six day crossing on Cunard and there were plenty of kids and it was again- wonderful. We were happy to get off after six days simply because we had been away from home for 24 days at this point but I loved both of our crossings.

We are in the early planning stages of a similar trip, though not 24 days (how fantastic that you can take that much time!). Our children will be 13, 11, and 6 when we travel. We will spend two weeks on land in Ireland and England, then hope to do a westbound crossing on Cunard.

If you had to do it over again, would you have done the crossing at the end, or would you chose to do a separate vacation with the crossing as the focus?

We are in the early planning stages of a similar trip, though not 24 days (how fantastic that you can take that much time!). Our children will be 13, 11, and 6 when we travel. We will spend two weeks on land in Ireland and England, then hope to do a westbound crossing on Cunard.

If you had to do it over again, would you have done the crossing at the end, or would you chose to do a separate vacation with the crossing as the focus?

I wouldn't change a thing. Our trip consisted of flying from Philly to Madrid (2 nights) than a train to Barcelona (overnight) then a 12 day cruise (Villefrance, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Athens, Santorini, and Dubrovnik) then two nights in Venice, two nights in London and then 6 nights on the QM2 returning home. It was fantastic!

I think it is so wonderful to sail into NYC. You arrive pre-dawn and it is quite thrilling to sail in, while the sun rises. Your kids will have a wonderful time. As will you. The QM2 is now my favorite ship. With Celebrity Constellation and Millenium a distant second and third.

I wouldn't change a thing. Our trip consisted of flying from Philly to Madrid (2 nights) than a train to Barcelona (overnight) then a 12 day cruise (Villefrance, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Athens, Santorini, and Dubrovnik) then two nights in Venice, two nights in London and then 6 nights on the QM2 returning home. It was fantastic!

I think it is so wonderful to sail into NYC. You arrive pre-dawn and it is quite thrilling to sail in, while the sun rises. Your kids will have a wonderful time. As will you. The QM2 is now my favorite ship. With Celebrity Constellation and Millenium a distant second and third.

rebeccalouise,

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree that it will be fabulous to sail from England to New York City!

Archived