I'm Wondering How it evolved????

sail7seas

Oh Vicar - you are truly killing me :D

Sounds like we are irritating some others though, sorry - we don't intend to. I said I was going OT, didn't mean to drag this one - but it is pretty funny!

I guess we'll have to wait til 3:00am on Saturday again... :D I'll be here.

WE do need to remember that serving sizes in the ship's dining room are generally smaller than those in most American restaurants. That's not a plus for the restaurants, but simply a way to justify higher prices.

I also don't think we can compare shipboard fare to that offered by "the Hungry Heifer" or other "quantity is better than quality" all-you-can-eat buffets.

I do find that the portions on board HAL ships are adequate, but geared towards eating 4-5 courses. Sometimes I will skip the soup, or the salad, or the appetizer (because nothing strikes my fancy) and order something different (a cheese plate plus a dessert, two appetizers, etc.). There's also the opportunity to order something additional which you've never tried before (escargot, bami goreng, etc.) without the worry that - if you don't like it - you'll need to spend a bunch more on something you will like.

One method for eating at a large table is to treat the menu as tapas, "small plates" or dim sum - order a number of dishes but share among everyone. Rarely will there be a one-to-one relationship between diners and courses.

I do remember on our very first cruise (1995 on the Carnival Exasperation :rolleyes: ) when we returned to the ship after a full day in port to discover it was formal night (back when those things were enforced) and we just didn't feel like dressing. The buffet wasn't open for dinner. Room service offered "tea and toast" (for those under the weather) - so we headed off ship to a close-by KFC. Things have changed, and not always for the worse!

[quote name='bepsf']I actually think 'This will be perfect for sandwiches and stir-fry this week' - then I remember that I am at sea and have another week of vacation before I would be setting foot in my kitchen again.[/QUOTE]
You could have brought it back to the cabin, slipped the steward a couple of bucks and asked that there always be ice around the package!

:rolleyes:

On the subjects of men/boys and food/eating, my wife forwarded this to me just a few hours ago:

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]A man asked his wife what she'd like for her birthday. "I'd really love to [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]be ten again" she replied wistfully. [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]On the morning of her birthday, he arose early, got up, made her a nice big [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]bowl of Frosties and then took her off to their local theme park. What a [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]day! He put her on every ride in the park: the Death Slide, the Wall of [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Fear, the Screaming Monster Roller Coaster, everything there was. [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Five hours later she staggered out of the theme park. Her head was reeling [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]and her stomach felt upside down. Right away, they journeyed to a McDonald's [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]where her loving husband ordered her a Happy Meal with extra fries and a [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]refreshing chocolate shake. [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Then it was off to the cinema to see the latest blockbuster, complete with a [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]hot-dog, popcorn, a big fizzy drink, and a huge bag of M&M's, her favourite [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]sweets. [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]What a time she had! [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Finally she wobbled home with her husband and collapsed into bed exhausted. [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]He leaned over his precious wife with a big smile and lovingly asked, "Well, [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Darling, what was it like being ten again?" [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Her eyes slowly opened and her expression suddenly changed. "You ***!!!!@# [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3]idiot", she replied. "I meant my dress size..." [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]********[/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]-dave :) [/size][/font]

I am so laughing my head off. Thanks for the chuckles.

Vicar........Your daughter seems to have her Dad's fun sense of humor. That is a wonderful gift you passed along to her. :) Come, Sit, Speak, Stay......:D I LOVE IT!!!

I left here for a few hours this afternoon and Look What I Came Back To!!! :)

You boys have been busy!!!

Who 'wouldathunk' what I was starting with a 'pig out' question..... !!!! :)

A historical comment.

I think the notion of oversupplying guests with food started in the Catskill Mountain resorts in New York State. In the 40's, 50's up to the late 80's familys came during the summer months for the entertainment and the food, maybe a dip in the pool but heaven forbid the hairdo got wet!

Food was a marketing tool and it evolved into the "all-you-can-eat buffets", multi appetizers and entrees on cruises and so forth.

I don't see many people overeating but the idea that they can if they want is what the cruise lines are promoting. It is relatively cheap and it helps draw us to the ships.

lipoppop,

I lived through many summer vacations in the Poconos and Catskills with my entire family. grandparents, parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins YIKES!!!!

But the food was always terrific and more than plenty of it. The best times were when all the kids went to the pool or the game rooms at night while the parents went to see the shows.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Holy Moly - didn't check in with this thread for a few hours.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Sure glad I cooked dinner before I read this afternoon's posts - it would have been burned I got to laughing so much.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]Eight meals a day? Nah - all you can eat in 24 hours![/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='Vicar']lipoppop,

I lived through many summer vacations in the Poconos and Catskills with my entire family. grandparents, parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins YIKES!!!!

But the food was always terrific and more than plenty of it. The best times were when all the kids went to the pool or the game rooms at night while the parents went to see the shows.[/QUOTE]

:) We had heard so much about the Catskills, in the early eighties we went to The Neville with another couple. We had a fantastic time the once.....but knew we would never go back. Once was enough. Another place there I remember was called The Concord. We never saw it but I heard alot about it.
Eat, food, eat, food, eat, food......

sitting here watching the red sox, and reading this insightful thread...then I started to giggle, and giggle, and giggle..finally had to share some of the great posts with DH, who is now giggling too. Thank you..great thread, fun and light hearted.

good for our digestion....

Peggy Sue

[quote name='lipoppop']A historical comment.

I think the notion of oversupplying guests with food started in the Catskill Mountain resorts in New York State. In the 40's, 50's up to the late 80's familys came during the summer months for the entertainment and the food, maybe a dip in the pool but heaven forbid the hairdo got wet![/QUOTE]I know exactly what you mean. I worked as a lifeguard at one of those hotels in 1977. I always said that my main duty was to make sure that no kids splashed because half the women just got their hair done that week.:rolleyes:

[quote name='lipoppop']Food was a marketing tool and it evolved into the "all-you-can-eat buffets", multi appetizers and entrees on cruises and so forth.[/QUOTE]These hotels included food in the price. The guests would always ask for 'falatahs'. This was extra food that the waiters would wrap up so they could take back to the room 'for later'.:D

[quote name='sail7seas']:) We had heard so much about the Catskills, in the early eighties we went to The Neville with another couple. We had a fantastic time the once.....but knew we would never go back. Once was enough. Another place there I remember was called The Concord. We never saw it but I heard alot about it.
Eat, food, eat, food, eat, food......[/QUOTE]Sail,

Was it the Neville or the Nevelie? Just curious. I worked in one of the hotels, but the big two were the Concord and the Nevelie.

Though it was actually filmed in the NC mountains, [I]Dirty Dancing[/I] is the perfect movie example of a Catskill resort hotel . I remember growing up in that area that the Concord and Grossingers were very famous. Lots of celebrities performed in these hotels- stand-up comedians and singers in particular.

[quote name='peaches from georgia']Though it was actually filmed in the NC mountains, [i]Dirty Dancing[/i] portrayed a Catskill resort hotel .[/QUOTE]I know it was set there, but let me tell you, we never had that much fun. Although looking back, 17 years old working as a lifeguard at a hotel was not bad at all.;) I wish I knew back then just had good I had it.

Sail,

Was it the Neville or the Nevelie? Just curious. I worked in one of the hotels, but the big two were the Concord and the Nevelie.

Yes.....I think you are correct. I'm lucky I even remember the name :) let alone how to spell it. :D We did have a funny time there but once was enough. I know what you mean about the "I just had my hear done ladies". :)

[quote name='sail7seas']Sail,

Yes.....I think you are correct. I'm lucky I even remember the name :) let alone how to spell it. :D We did have a funny time there but once was enough. I know what you mean about the "I just had my hear done ladies". :)[/QUOTE]

It is spelled Nevele. The name has an interesting history. Some young girls at the end of the 19th century were walking in the woods and came upon a waterfall. They named it Nevele which is eleven spelled backwards. Yes, there were eleven girls in the group.

Besides the food the hotels were famous for the comedians who got their start in show business there-Henny Youngman, Jerry Lewis (who was big at Brown's), Alan King etc.

The waiters and busboys were mostly college students who earned relatively good tips to pay their tuition. A lot of college basketball players were hired for an unofficial inter-hotel league, including some that were convicted in 1951 (date might be off by a year) of point shaving.

There were also bungalow colonies where you cookedfor yourselves for those families who couldn't afford the hotel rates.

Some of the hotel names I remember are Grossingers (where Jenny the owner sat on a high stool to greet the guests), the Concord, Nevele, Fallsview (next door to the Nevele), Browns

Lipoppop,

Thanks for the history lesson. By the time I worked in the Catskills the comedians you named were long gone. We also spent a couple of summers at one of the bungalow colonies you mentioned when I was a young kid.

I know it wasn't the Catskills, but one summer I worked at a sleep away camp for underprivileged kids in Northwestern New Jersey (Sussex County). It turned out that Gabe Kaplan (Welcome Back, Kotter) went there as a kid. So he wound up coming up to visit and put on a show for the staff and campers. Real classy guy.

Are you speaking of the Nevele in Ellenville NY? It has to be, because one of their buildings is named Fallsview. It is still in operation. I go to an Irish weekend there. I believe they have two a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I go in the fall. Plus they have other non-irish events throughout the year. I always have a good time there.
Pat.

Yes, Pat. That is the hotel about which we are speaking. I'm glad to hear people are still enjoying themselves there. It has been years since I heard of anyone from our area visiting in the Catskills. Used to be lots of folks from around our area that would vacation there....but no longer.

Archived