Formal nights on Royal Carribean

What are the formal nights like on Royal Carribean? We have cruised before a long time ago, but never on this cruise line and we are not sure what to expect. Our last cruise (Carnival) had a formal night that was only about an hour long. We just met the captain, and had a couple of free drinks. They had a band, but no dance floor. They invited a few couples on to a stage to dance, and that was it. After a few songs it was over and everyone left. It wasn't what I expected. I like to dress up and wouldn't mind if it will be a fun evening with music and ballroom dancing like you see in commercials. But this cruise is only 4 nights of a 10 day trip, and I am trying to limit how much I pack. Please tell me more about the formal nights on royal carribean so I can decide whether or not to pack a gown for me and a suit for hubby.

Thank you for your advice,

Heather

On a 4 night cruise, you will have 1 formal night. It will be formal dinner in the dining room and will last 1.5 to 2 hours. After that, it is up to you. You can change into casual clothes or stay dressed and do some shows, or a lounge. But the majority of the people will change after dinner into more casual clothes.

Formal night is more than just meeting the Captain! There will be photograghers everywhere, and you'll find the majority of passengers will be quite dressed up. Dinner seems a bit more 'elegant' when everyone is in their finery!

Some folks will change after dinner. I don't! I look pretty damn good all dressed to the nines--why ruin it???? So hubby and I stay dressed up until bedtime!

typically on formal nights we will get dressed 30 minutes or so before dinner. Dinner usually takes us a bit over an hour. If we are going to the show that night we will sty n our formal cloths, otherwise we will change. We do take pictures, both with just ourselves and the captain if possible...overall we love formal nights...incredible though how people's definition of formal varies

Formal night is more than just meeting the Captain! There will be photograghers everywhere, and you'll find the majority of passengers will be quite dressed up. Dinner seems a bit more 'elegant' when everyone is in their finery!

Some folks will change after dinner. I don't! I look pretty damn good all dressed to the nines--why ruin it???? So hubby and I stay dressed up until bedtime!

YES!!

typically on formal nights we will get dressed 30 minutes or so before dinner. Dinner usually takes us a bit over an hour. If we are going to the show that night we will sty n our formal cloths, otherwise we will change. We do take pictures, both with just ourselves and the captain if possible...overall we love formal nights...incredible though how people's definition of formal varies

Yes!!

BTW, nice name Bryce.

What are the formal nights like on Royal Carribean? We have cruised before a long time ago, but never on this cruise line and we are not sure what to expect. Our last cruise (Carnival) had a formal night that was only about an hour long. We just met the captain, and had a couple of free drinks. They had a band, but no dance floor. They invited a few couples on to a stage to dance, and that was it. After a few songs it was over and everyone left. It wasn't what I expected. I like to dress up and wouldn't mind if it will be a fun evening with music and ballroom dancing like you see in commercials. But this cruise is only 4 nights of a 10 day trip, and I am trying to limit how much I pack. Please tell me more about the formal nights on royal carribean so I can decide whether or not to pack a gown for me and a suit for hubby.

Thank you for your advice,

Heather

Well I think it is about the same with RC and Carnival as far as how formal night goes.

We have only been on Carnival to and we had pictures and went to the Captains party and then to dinner and then the show after.

From what I have read it is the same on RC.

Formal night on 4 night cruises are not overly formal, at least on the West Coast. If I was packing for a 10 night trip...I would probably skip formal, wear something semi-dressy, or just eat in the Windjammer. Of all cruises the 3/4 night cruises tend to be the least formal. :)

Archived