A bit of a "Peeve" with Norwegian

Angela4cruiser

I recently went on the Norwegian Pearl for a short cruise with a group of friends, and upon receiving my bill I realized I had been charged for using my cabin phone to phone another cabin phone - to the cost of $5.95 per cabin call. Boy, was I shocked. Nowhere in my cabin did I read about these charges beforehand. Is this standard with Norwegian cruises?

It was so short a cruise, that I only looked at the bill as I was disembarking, and once off the ship it was quite difficult to do anything after the fact. I did find the drink prices quite reasonable though even compared to Royal Caribbean. The kids thought the ship was very "cool".

something is really not adding up here. I use the phone to call others all the time on cruisis, never been charged a penny. On our last cruise, just a month ago I probably used the phone 25 times as I was with a group of older people that needed lots of reminders, (no Dianne, I am not talking about you) we were not charged.

Nita

The charge would have been for ship-to-shore calls only. All calls between cabins are free. That assumes, of course, the cabins are on the same ship.

If you are certain that no one called a landline from your room, definitely call and dispute the charges. They should have a record of the shoreside number called, the date and time, and length of the call.

and remember that even a 800 type call is charged for. No free calls even if you are calling Norwegian's 800 line. You can call and ask for credit. The probability is they will just credit you for the amount as its not worth all the checking...

any calls to a cell phone of someone on the ship? just a random thought of what it might be...

I had not thought of that... the OP was calling someone on their cell phone, not on on the ship's phone.

Sorry, the fact that they are on the same ship as you is irrelevant. You CANNOT use a cell phone on a cruise ship unless you are willing to pay the ridiculous per-minute charges.

But, why would someone use a cell phone on a cruise ship to contact another passenger on the same ship. That is stupid. They are only a few steps away, and you can speak in person??

I had not thought of that... the OP was calling someone on their cell phone, not on on the ship's phone.

Sorry, the fact that they are on the same ship as you is irrelevant. You CANNOT use a cell phone on a cruise ship unless you are willing to pay the ridiculous per-minute charges.

But, why would someone use a cell phone on a cruise ship to contact another passenger on the same ship. That is stupid. They are only a few steps away, and you can speak in person??

I have done this in port....when we couldn't find someone...I don't consider it stupid...but I used my cell to call another cell. It was much cheaper than the ships phone. It was .69 cents per minute...not that outrageous...

but a cell phone charge would come from the cell phone bill, not the on-board account?

except if they used a ship phone to call the cell phone...in another room I don't think that is what happened here. Remember there is almost always more than one person in the room and if asked deny deny deny ---like who took the money from the pants :)

something is really not adding up here. I use the phone to call others all the time on cruisis, never been charged a penny. On our last cruise, just a month ago I probably used the phone 25 times as I was with a group of older people that needed lots of reminders, (no Dianne, I am not talking about you) we were not charged.

Nita

Hi Nita

No problem here. I just got my Golden Buckeye Card in the mail last week:eek:

♪♫♪♫Happy Sails To You ♪♫♪♫

♪♫♪♫Until We Meet Again,

Gwynn

Back to the original question:

How many calls were there?

We've never made ship to shore calls. But, isn't it more than $5.95? $8 or $9 per minute seems like the numbers that I've seen when I looked.

It also seems like a call to a cell phone on the ship would incur charges for both the cell phone and the cabin phone. The call would be going from ship to shore and back to the ship, no?

Archived