Pregnancy question

coombs2

We have a cruise coming up. We may or may not be pregnant at the time. My wife found this article and we wanted to gauge people's response to it who cruised while pregnant. It says that the safest time to cruise is the second trimester. Is it still safe to go in the first trimester? Other than being seasick, can the cruise line accomodate in the event that something happens? Also, we have read that you should stick to bottled water and away from "local foods" on some islands. Are you allowed to bring a case of water onboard? What else can you drink if you avoid the water as well as sodas?

First she should check with her ob-gyn first. Most women find the second trisemester the easiest to travel during as most miscarriages and morning sickness happen during the first few months. Traveling during the last one is discouraged and many cruiselines will bar you from going on the cruise past a specific time (26 weeks or so).

I went on a cruise during my fifth month and had no problem. I actually lucked out and didn't have morning sickness or any other problems during the pregnancy (except leg cramps and heartburn). The only days I took off from work was early on due to a cold and the day following my amino (went in the day after that).

Basically, unless you're having a problem pregnancy, I couldn't imagine your ob-gyn advising you to stay home and not take a vacation. Just follow the instructions you'll get (stay away from soft cheeses, certain fish, drink plenty of water -- bottled water if you're getting off the ship in any ports, avoid caffeine, do your exercises, etc.).

Princess will let you bring on bottled water and soda (they carry Coke products, but not caffeine free coke).

There were several other pregnant women on board too.

As far as care onboard, frankly, if you are in the first trisemester and start miscarrying, there's really nothing that can stop that (unfortunately, I know from experience). In that case, you'll have to stop by your doctor's office when you get back and have a beta test. (if that's what they're still called)

First she should check with her ob-gyn first. Most women find the second trisemester the easiest to travel during as most miscarriages and morning sickness happen during the first few months. Traveling during the last one is discouraged and many cruiselines will bar you from going on the cruise past a specific time (26 weeks or so).

Only because the OP posted this on the Princess board, I'll respond with the policy specific to Princess. They do not permit anyone who will enter the 24th week by the end of the cruise.

The second trimester is the ideal time to travel, she will feel great and nausea should be gone. We will be on the Crown in November and I would of been 20 weeks along which would of been a perfect time to travel. I ended up miscarrying at 8 weeks and I have to say that is not something I would of wanted to go through while I was on a cruise ship. I am not trying to be negative just giving my experience.

I cruised last year while in my 2nd trimester. I was at the deadline, which is actually the 28th week, and it was perfect! You can do everything on a ship that you can do at home, and that includes drinking the water. I wouldn't drink local water on a shore excursion, but the ship water is fine.

First trimester can be fine as long as she isn't sick. If she's already sick, the moving boat will only make it worse.

In terms of an accident, the ship is limited in what they can offer, which is why they require permission from your OB before you board.

I was just barely pregnant when we went on our first cruise... Confirmed it just prior to boarding.

Now I'm not one who usually has much motion sickness, and I had a little bit of a rough time with some nausea (whether it was sea sickness or just normal morning sickness is hard to say-- it was certainly more pronounced on board than after we came home or with my first pregnancy)

But I certainly don't think that you would run into any major issues with being pregnant on board. I certainly saw other more obviously pregnant women on my ship. The best thing is just to follow the standard rules for being pregnant that others have mentioned and check in with your own personal ob-gyn before taking the trip!

If you decide to go and you are pregnant check out your personal medical insurance coverage to see if you are covered. Remember you are outside the US the moment the ship leaves the dock since it is foreign registered and you will be visiting foreign ports. Especially check on coverage for medical evacuation. Medical evacuation costs of $50,000 or more are typical. Also medical treatment on the ship is not free.

It your personal insurance will not cover you and you purchased travel insurance check out if you are covered. You will need to understand the pre-existing condition clause and the time requirements contained in it and if the policy has any mention of pregnancy. If you have not purchased insurance and decide to go and you have not made final payment, there are a few insurance companies that will provide a policy with a pre-existing condition waiver if purchased by final payment. Go to www.insuremytrip.com and look find the ones that have that waiver for your state.

Keep one thing in mind. The doctors onboard ships are not OB/GYN's they are just GP's that will take care of normal/minor accidents and ailments. Anything that worrys them or they feel the ship can't handle, is then removed from the ship, one way or another, to the nearest medical facility that can handle it.

So, unless she is cleared by her MD to travel, and has absolutely no complications, I would not even consider cruising when pregnant.

Her and her Dr. should have the final word.

The hardest part when traveling very early on would be that the baby forms in the most vital ways during the first trimester. If you don't know if you are pregnant or not you have to be very careful of your nutrition and remembering to take your per-natel vitamins. And no vacation cocktails. And if there might be any exposior to chemicals like some cleaning products or such on a ship you wouldn't be able to get away from them. I would have had a hard time not being able to see my Dr. just to have test when I thought I was having a miscarriage and it wouldn't have been fun when I was having bad morning sickness.

In you're second things are easier your baby is at a safer stage and things are less nerve racking. In my second trimester Ii still had morning sickness but it was manageable and I knew more tricks that worked for me.

No mater when you go bring bottled water or drink Sprite or other non-caffeinated bottled or caned pop when on shore. And bring protein bars or granola bars or other snack to satisfy your hunger throughout your whole excursion. Acceptable food may not always be available when you are hungry. And for me that made be so sick. Over all I loved cruising while pregnant and even went snorkeling.

Try searching on BabyCenter.com they have tons of info on this kind of stuff.

If Princess notices that she's pregnant and she doesn't have a doctor's note allowing her to travel and she is past the 24th week, she may be denied boarding. They don't want to take a risk and be held liable.

If you, or anyone else, does decide to cruise while pregnant, please do get a doctor's note and make sure you're well under that 24 week cut-off. :)

If your personal insurance will not cover you and you purchased travel insurance check out if you are covered.
A very important item to check; for example Princess puts this clause in their insurance policy:

"THIS CRUISE/CRUISETOUR VACATION PROTECTION PLAN DOES NOT COVER, NOR REIMBURSE FOR:...normal pregnancy except if hospitalized;"

Archived