Norovirus on Dawn

defreeze

Just got back from 2 night cruise to nowhere on the Dawn. When we arrived to board, we were given a piece of paper alerting us to the fact that on the previous cruise, 5% of the passengers got sick with Norovirus. We were given the opportunity to cancel and get a future cruise credit equal to the amount we paid. (I didn't see anyone leaving).

We were delayed boarding for a few hours as they cleaned the ship.

Onboard, they had staff at all of the hand sanitizers as you entered the dining rooms and the Garden Cafe telling you to sanitiize your hands. The same again, at the beginning of the buffet lines. They had staff serving all the food in the buffet (you couldn't get your own). This made the buffet lines go VERY slow. You couldn't even get your own water - the staff would hand it to you. Everyone was wearing rubber gloves.

On our cruise, I heard of a number of people getting sick, but didn't hear lots of such stories. (Although it could take 24 -48 hours to show symptoms).

NCL tries as hard as they can to keep the ship sanitized, but there are certain passengers who still complain about using the hand sanitizers or treat it like a joke. If everyone kept their hands clean, the norovirus wouldn't spread as easily.

Call us germaphobic, but as soon as we get into our cabin we wipe all surfaces that we will be touching with Lysol sanitizing wipes -- TV remote, door handles, fridge door pull, phone, everything in the bathroom, etc. We probably don't kill all the germs, but we try.

We press the elevator buttons with a knuckle, not fingertip. We sanitize our hands when we enter the cafeteria and again just before eating. Yes, you sanitize your hands at the start of the buffet line, but then you touch all the serving utensils and maybe the chair to pull it out to sit down. I know this sounds extreme, but it's not that hard to do and becomes second nature after a while.

Prevention is the key!

The cruise lines do an outstanding job of handling these outbreaks. The very same thing happened on our last cruise - a small number of passengers got ill and there was a delay in boarding as the ship was sanitized. During the voyage, there were staff in front of every dining venue dispensing alcohol wipes, and constantly cleaning all the surfaces you could touch with a bleach solution. It left a milky residue on otherwise shiny surfaces, but we did not mind.

The best approach is to thoroughly sanitize your hands before eating and after using the restroom. If you have any bad habits like biting nails or picking nose, that can easily infect you, so avoid those. I think it is a waste to try and sanitize the cabin because I am in there so little, compared to everywhere else. You are bound to pick up a bug on your hands no matter how careful you are, but washing the hands before putting then in your mouth will take care of that.

NCL tries as hard as they can to keep the ship sanitized, but there are certain passengers who still complain about using the hand sanitizers or treat it like a joke. If everyone kept their hands clean, the norovirus wouldn't spread as easily.

Call us germaphobic, but as soon as we get into our cabin we wipe all surfaces that we will be touching with Lysol sanitizing wipes -- TV remote, door handles, fridge door pull, phone, everything in the bathroom, etc. We probably don't kill all the germs, but we try.

We press the elevator buttons with a knuckle, not fingertip. We sanitize our hands when we enter the cafeteria and again just before eating. Yes, you sanitize your hands at the start of the buffet line, but then you touch all the serving utensils and maybe the chair to pull it out to sit down. I know this sounds extreme, but it's not that hard to do and becomes second nature after a while.

Prevention is the key!

We agree, that is exactly what we do. We don't want to chance ruining our cruise (or anyone elses). We ordered some travel size Lysol spray bottles to take with us. We use Lysol wipes also. They worked great. And it is also very important to try to keep your hands away from your face.

I was on the same cruise and did the same thing. We wiped down our room with the Lysol wipes and we did see some people refusing to sanitize their hands before entering the food areas (there's always a few).

Had a great time and went to Quest for the first time- can I say WOW!!!

First time in the AB Penthouse - amazing. We didn't hit it off with our Butler, though. Don't really know why, we only asked him for a few things (a cot, a dinner menu from Cagney's and advice)

Still had a blast.

We returned home yesterday from the Canada/New England cruise on the Dawn where the outbreak occured. We heard at one time 20% of the passengers were quarentined. We were not able to verify that number but when I asked an employee he did confirm the numbers of cases were increasing instead of decreasing.

The first few days folks were allowed to serve themselves in the Garden Cafe. I think it was around day 5-6 that the hammer came down and no one was allowed to touch anything. The salt & pepper shakers were removed from the tables. You had to ask for everything; sugar packet, tea spoon, etc... Employees were manned at the drink stations to pour drinks, serve ice, etc... Hand sanitizers were put up everywhere and it was manadatory that you sanitize before entering the restaurant. The CD, Jimmy, made announcements during the day that everyone must use the hand sanitizers. What surprized DH and I: why did they not make the same announcement in French, Spanish, Italian, German, etc... We met many pax who were not fluent in english.

Our DS threw up three times on the second to last night on the cruise. Needless to say we went into panic mode. It was late at night (11:30pm) and when I called 00 I was put on hold for 20-minutes. DH found a very nice waiter picking up room service dishes in the hallway. He explained our situation. The waiter came back in minutes with an armload of table napkins and he said he would find someone to help sanitize the bathroom. Lucky for us our son got sick in the bathroom and not anywhere else in our room. At midnight someone from housekeeping came to sanitize the bathroom. He stayed in the bathroom at least 45-minutes cleaning and spraying.

As it turned out we think our son was spared the virus because he did not threw up after that night. We think he may have drank sour milk from a carton before he went to bed. Just to be certain, we kept him in the room the last sea day and fed him a bland diet of saltines and jello.

When we disembarked we happened to see the employee who checked us in at the beginning of our cruise. She said the first two pax were taken off of the ship by stretcher and were taken away by ambulance. She apologized for the outbreak.

We read on another post that many folks didn't like the idea of having the trays removed from the buffet line. I think NCL should consider having a "hands off" policy in the buffet line. No pax touching the food, serving utensils, etc...

Once the outbreak occured and we were not allowed to serve ourselves it wasn't that bad. You took a plate and a napkin roll and walked down the buffet line. You told the employee what you wanted and how much. It was very simple and easy. The same at the drink station. You told the employee what you wanted and they served it for you. That included a cup of coffee, with a little milk, two packets of sweetner and an extra tea spoon. Easy enough. Of course this means employees must be stationed there during all hours of operation. But this may be the best way to avoid an outbreak.

We were one of the fortunate ones who did not personally experience the virus so this did not put a damper on our cruise by any means. I'm sure if you were to ask the pax who did experience the virus you may get a differnet response.

We plan to write a full review of the cruise as soon as we can find the floor under all of the laundry!!

Bethany24

We returned home yesterday from the Canada/New England cruise on the Dawn where the outbreak occured. We heard at one time 20% of the passengers were quarentined. We were not able to verify that number but when I asked an employee he did confirm the numbers of cases were increasing instead of decreasing.

The first few days folks were allowed to serve themselves in the Garden Cafe. I think it was around day 5-6 that the hammer came down and no one was allowed to touch anything. The salt & pepper shakers were removed from the tables. You had to ask for everything; sugar packet, tea spoon, etc... Employees were manned at the drink stations to pour drinks, serve ice, etc... Hand sanitizers were put up everywhere and it was manadatory that you sanitize before entering the restaurant. The CD, Jimmy, made announcements during the day that everyone must use the hand sanitizers. What surprized DH and I: why did they not make the same announcement in French, Spanish, Italian, German, etc... We met many pax who were not fluent in english.

Our DS threw up three times on the second to last night on the cruise. Needless to say we went into panic mode. It was late at night (11:30pm) and when I called 00 I was put on hold for 20-minutes. DH found a very nice waiter picking up room service dishes in the hallway. He explained our situation. The waiter came back in minutes with an armload of table napkins and he said he would find someone to help sanitize the bathroom. Lucky for us our son got sick in the bathroom and not anywhere else in our room. At midnight someone from housekeeping came to sanitize the bathroom. He stayed in the bathroom at least 45-minutes cleaning and spraying.

As it turned out we think our son was spared the virus because he did not threw up after that night. We think he may have drank sour milk from a carton before he went to bed. Just to be certain, we kept him in the room the last sea day and fed him a bland diet of saltines and jello.

When we disembarked we happened to see the employee who checked us in at the beginning of our cruise. She said the first two pax were taken off of the ship by stretcher and were taken away by ambulance. She apologized for the outbreak.

We read on another post that many folks didn't like the idea of having the trays removed from the buffet line. I think NCL should consider having a "hands off" policy in the buffet line. No pax touching the food, serving utensils, etc...

Once the outbreak occured and we were not allowed to serve ourselves it wasn't that bad. You took a plate and a napkin roll and walked down the buffet line. You told the employee what you wanted and how much. It was very simple and easy. The same at the drink station. You told the employee what you wanted and they served it for you. That included a cup of coffee, with a little milk, two packets of sweetner and an extra tea spoon. Easy enough. Of course this means employees must be stationed there during all hours of operation. But this may be the best way to avoid an outbreak.

We were one of the fortunate ones who did not personally experience the virus so this did not put a damper on our cruise by any means. I'm sure if you were to ask the pax who did experience the virus you may get a differnet response.

We plan to write a full review of the cruise as soon as we can find the floor under all of the laundry!!

Bethany24

A hands off policyis going a little too far in my estimation. If indeed there is an outbreak that would be a different story. NCL probably goes further than almost any line in offering things that help to minimize the possibility of the virus occurring, but we have lived our whole lives with it in different places, schools, hopitals, airplanes, hotels, you name it. what used to be referred to as the stomach flu is what we now know is a virus with a name. NCL started the hand sanitizer dispensers about 3 or 4 years ago. Our first 2 sailings on Celebrity they were nowhere to be found, but last year on HAL they had them. Not having trays is one way to help with the problem, but certainly there are other means that, I would think, do more good.

We had an outbreak here in our little town about this time last year. It lasted about 2 weeks and almost everyone we knew had it hit them. I was lucky, I escaped it, but DH didn't.

Nita

I was on the same cruise and did the same thing. We wiped down our room with the Lysol wipes and we did see some people refusing to sanitize their hands before entering the food areas (there's always a few).

Had a great time and went to Quest for the first time- can I say WOW!!!

First time in the AB Penthouse - amazing. We didn't hit it off with our Butler, though. Don't really know why, we only asked him for a few things (a cot, a dinner menu from Cagney's and advice)

Still had a blast.

We just got off the Dawn 2 day as well. We had a great time.

We also had a blast playing Quest. It is amazing what we will do for NCL water bottles:D !

We also were in an AB. This was our second time in the same suite this year. Loved the cabin again but when we met the butler on Friday he wanted us to know that his services were not going to be the same as our cruise in August (in spite of what our welcome letter from the concierge said). He did soften up by the end of our introduction. We only wanted breakfast in the morning and he did bring us a nice breakfast on Saturday morning. We really appreciated this!

It was a great weekend away.

We just got off the Dawn 2 day as well. We had a great time.

We also had a blast playing Quest. It is amazing what we will do for NCL water bottles:D !

We also were in an AB. This was our second time in the same suite this year. Loved the cabin again but when we met the butler on Friday he wanted us to know that his services were not going to be the same as our cruise in August (in spite of what our welcome letter from the concierge said). He did soften up by the end of our introduction. We only wanted breakfast in the morning and he did bring us a nice breakfast on Saturday morning. We really appreciated this!

It was a great weekend away.

Glad to hear you had a good time we love the Dawn :) Who is the Butler for the AB cabins?

Our butler in August was Aries. He was really great to us.

Our butler this weekend was Anshuman. He was nice but very clear that he would not be doing much for us. We really did not expect much with this being a weekend cruise. He first told us that there was no complimentary Champagne on weekend cruises (it did arrive shortly after he told me this) and he was clear that there would be no room service from any restaurants (not what our welcome letter said). This really was not a big deal to us as we had already made our dinner reservations with the help of Michael, the concierge and his assistant, Johnny.

When I told him that we really only wanted breakfast in the cabin, he did warm up and said that he would be happy to provide this for us. However, there was no Suite Room Service Menus in the cabin. He went and got some for us but was specific that we not leave it on the door. He told us to leave it on the table and he would come and get it. He did this Friday night and brought a great breakfast on saturday morning. We left the menu filled out on saturday night for sunday am as he instructed but he did not come and pick it up on Saturday night. By the time we got back to the cabin and noticed this it was 11:00 pm and we just decided that we would eat in Venetian.

It was still a great time.

Prevention is the key!

We must be related! I do the same thing...family and friends used to laugh about it...but they let me do it 'just to keep Mom happy'..and used the wipes I gave them....until we went on a cruise and many people took ill.....but no one in our group got ill...they don't laugh at me anymore and I no longer have to go clean their cabins. or use the wipes...they ask for them now...;).we use the stairs but never touch the railings...and I carry antibacterial and alcohol wipes with me at all times...I also insist that no one drinks out of a can...like a soda can....I always take straws...after having worked in a resort hotel for years...I know that no matter how clean a hotel or a floating hotel tries to be...there will always be guests who don't take sanitary precautions .....I also don't eat at buffets where small children are allowed to serve themselves...even with sneeze guards..some children as small enough that they just don't work...and as I said...no one laughs at 'Mom' anymore..:D

Our butler in August was Aries. He was really great to us.

Our butler this weekend was Anshuman. He was nice but very clear that he would not be doing much for us. We really did not expect much with this being a weekend cruise. He first told us that there was no complimentary Champagne on weekend cruises (it did arrive shortly after he told me this) and he was clear that there would be no room service from any restaurants (not what our welcome letter said). This really was not a big deal to us as we had already made our dinner reservations with the help of Michael, the concierge and his assistant, Johnny.

When I told him that we really only wanted breakfast in the cabin, he did warm up and said that he would be happy to provide this for us. However, there was no Suite Room Service Menus in the cabin. He went and got some for us but was specific that we not leave it on the door. He told us to leave it on the table and he would come and get it. He did this Friday night and brought a great breakfast on saturday morning. We left the menu filled out on saturday night for sunday am as he instructed but he did not come and pick it up on Saturday night. By the time we got back to the cabin and noticed this it was 11:00 pm and we just decided that we would eat in Venetian.

It was still a great time.

Is the reason that he won't be doing much for you because the staff are working flat out to contain the virus and it's all hands to deck as they would say?

This business of being handed a little slip of paper about how many were sick on the prior cruise can be particularly disheartening if you happen to have just stepped off a ten hour flight to Argentina. Moreso if your return airline trip leaves two weeks later from Chile.

Just got off the Dawn myself. The cruise line did everything they could to make sure people did not get sick. So many people in one area, but they kept the place as clean as possible. I did hear many passengers complaining that they had to sanitzer their hands, even though it was for their own (and mine) benefit. The ship was a beautiful as ever.........and the staff as great as ever.......if with the horrible way some passengers were treating them. It just reminds me how hard they have it in their home land, to want to work so hard on a cruise ship......I know I sound like a NCL fan, and I am, because I've always had a blast on the cruises, and thats what vacations are for.

Food poisoning has more pronounced systems and can lead to many more deaths. Food poisoning is caused by more problems in the food itself or improper handling(not cooked long enough- not kept at the right temperature the food itself being tainted etc). Since most of the cases are confirmed by stool samples that show Novovirus you statements not only aren't true they are down right foolish. There would have to be a conspiracy with the Health Departments and the CDC and so far only a paranoid would say so.

The employees are served by the same people working in the kitchens and if it was food poisoning they would be just as sick as the passengers.

E coli tainted food has specific symptoms(including blood in the stool samples) that would be readily seen and many more people would die.

You do have a choice you can either stop cruising and eat on land(which it is much worse) or bring your own food(or irradiate your food with a polpeil pocket irradiator)

Actually, norovirus can be spread by contaminated food, although that is usually via contaminated water (salads, shellfish in contaminated waters, etc.), and much less likely than person-to-person either via aerosol or via surface contamination. It is estimated that about 7% of the U.S. population gets norovirus each year. The bulk of these are in confined populations: schools, close living accommodations like institutions and old age homes, and cruise ships.

So, I do agree that some of our CCers are most definitely paranoid (or are they being humorous -- with a somewhat warped sense of humor).

Bill

I was on the Dawn NE/Canada cruise right before the cruise to nowhere and I did get the virus. NCL did a fantastic job, trying to control the spread but with passengers acting with total disregard of the sanitizing policy its no wonder it spread. The Dawn had to post security at the sanitizers to make sure people used them..There were notices posted in the Daily warning the passengers about the virus, asking them to report to the ships doctor immediately if they had symptoms and not charging for the visit or the medications. Still people waited , some two and three days, to report it...I reported as soon as I had the symptoms about 6 days into the cruise.

I was confined to my cabin for 24 hours, no big deal ,considering how I felt. To my surprise I received a $200 OBC ...not too shabby.

Hey Maria ...we just missed you..

I was on the Dawn NE/Canada cruise right before the cruise to nowhere and I did get the virus. NCL did a fantastic job, trying to control the spread but with passengers acting with total disregard of the sanitizing policy its no wonder it spread. The Dawn had to post security at the sanitizers to make sure people used them..There were notices posted in the Daily warning the passengers about the virus, asking them to report to the ships doctor immediately if they had symptoms and not charging for the visit or the medications. Still people waited , some two and three days, to report it...I reported as soon as I had the symptoms about 6 days into the cruise.

I was confined to my cabin for 24 hours, no big deal ,considering how I felt. To my surprise I received a $200 OBC ...not too shabby.

wow, $200... I don't think I would ever want to get sick on a cruise ship or anywhere else as a matter of fact, what a way to put a damper on a vacation but $200 OBC makes it a little easier to accept. Hope all is well now.

Nita

RichNY:

$200.00 OBC!! Not too shabby indeed!!

We enjoyed you & Loretta very much; glad we got to spend the day in Sydney. The photos came out great; looking forward to seeing the ones Loretta took. Stephen is great; back at school today.

Had a great time at Toys R Us. We had no problems leaving NYC in the rain; no flight delays.

Bethany24

Archived