Question about valuables

dukemha

My spouse and I plan to spend at least one day at a beach snorkeling, most likely Trunk Bay. My question is, do we need to be concerned about carrying valuables with us (passports, wallet, etc) to the beach? If we're in the water it will be difficult for us to also keep an eye on valuables left in a bag on the beach. I assume there are no lockers to store valuables - though I could be wrong about that. Is this something we need to be concerned about?

We just returned this past Sunday and also visited Trunk bay. I don't remember seeing any lockers, but there are washrooms and showers. I brought a waterproof wallet with me for cash and ship card but never snorkelled with it. Instead i dug a hole in the sand and placed the waterproof wallet in the hole and covered it up and placed a nut on the spot so i wasn't digging up the whole beach looking for it later!! If you're only swimming then it wouldn't be a problem to keep an eye on your valuables but when snorkelling out on the trail it would be nearly impossible to keep an eye on your things.

Last time we were at Trunk Bay, there were lockers (around the side of the snorkel rental shack). I can't remember how much, but it couldn't have been a huge amount or we wouldn't have used one.

Even so, we wouldn't leave our true valuables in a beach locker. We have two sizes of water safes (the witzprod ones); the smallest (fits a CC, DL, and cash) and the next size up (fits all the above plus rental car key, a couple of individual hand wipes, and a lipblock). My DH wraps the neck straps around the back of my swimsuit and tucks them into my suit at the small of my back. I barely notice them, they're safe, and they're not strangling us with straps around our necks. We also don't bring our passports with us on shore (unless it's required) and definitely wouldn't for any of the USVI because we're US citizens. We bring our DLs, even if we're not renting a car, because they're convenient and fit in our watersafes. I know there are water wallets that you can get which fit around your waist and are large enough for passports, etc. (I'm guessing they're similar to the silk money belts we use for international travel, but made with thicker waterproof materials.)

beachchick

We use this aquapac for a little cash and a credit card. LLBean has free shipping until 12/21. We spent a week on St John last summer and the only thing we left unattended was our towels and beach bag (no valuables in it). We have a camera with an underwater housing so that was always with us.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=49840&sc1=Search&feat=sr

It has been suggested that you always carry your passport when you leave the ship, even if you are a citizen. If you miss the ship and have to fly to the next port, you need your passport. This always presents a problem for us on the beach. We usually don't go in the water together because of this. I will look into these waterproof wallets for my next cruise.

Archived