Coffee Card Alert

Murphey

Thanks for the heads up. I have purchased the card on my last 3 cruises but haven't tried to get regular coffee with the card. I do buy the card for it's original intent--to get the specialty coffees at a slight discount. Probably like room service items, it's a ship by ship decision--no consistency.

Princess needs to make up its collective mind......

if its not going to include brewed coffee as part of the fee-paid coffee card, then just provide it no charge as they did in the past!

The labor costs for ringing up hundreds/thousands of single $1 charges (bartender/waiter/cash register/appying to onboard account/listening to complaints about it/etc) have to exceed any profit they might squeeze out of it. Just brew it and leave it out (with cups) at the patisserie and other places on board.

Its appalling that they charge for it anyway. :mad:

Hi...we are currently on the Dawn Princess and I purchased the obigatory coffee card in order to enjoy fresh brewed coffee in the mornings. Alas, when DH went to fetch it for me this morning, he was told that it was only good for the specialty coffees and you still had to purchase the brewed coffee. This is a change we did not know about. :( No it's not going to ruin our cruise, but it is a disappointment....thought the rest of you would want to know...

Looks like it's back to bringing our own coffee maker!! Unless they ban those also :(

I purchased my first coffee card on the Crown last week (it's never promoted onboard; only learned about it thru Cruise Critic, thanks guys!!) -- and when I asked for two cups of brewed coffee, I was asked for the "other card" -- and told that yes, you can get unlimited cups of brewed coffee for free (vs. the $1 fee usually charged) but only one cup at a time per card. (No problem for us, we maximized use by ordering one specialty and one brewed coffee each time we went to the International Cafe.)

I never tried using it in the lounges (where there are drinks menus featuring the specialty coffee drinks) but I would be suprised if the card was not accepted there; it was certainly accepted in the dining room when I ordered specialty coffees after dinner.

Does anyone know whether the dining room coffee is the same as the Horizon Court coffee (i.e. is it syrup or brewed) -- and what kind of coffee is served in the specialty restaurants?

Thanks,

I've been told the coffee in the dining room is the same as in the Horizon Court.

I always buy the coffee card and have used it in other locations - dining room, show lounge, and Horizon Court for my daily or twice daily latte.

At one time there was not an espresso machine everywhere on the ship, but on our last cruise it seems there is an espresso machine in all the bars, or at least the one we went to.

NYLady,

To answer your questions; *MOST* of the coffee on the ship is made from concentrate....really not that bad ;) However there are a few places that do serve fresh brewed. At these places you can BUY a cup for $1, otherwise the regular coffee is free. Regular coffee is always available, for free, in the dining areas and from room service :D

If you like specialty coffees :p , such as Caps, espressos or Lattes, you can buy them individually *OR* you can purchase a Coffee Card entitling you to 15 of them and (in most cases) FREE & Unlimited, brewed coffee.

I hope that answers your questions,

Anne....formally from NY

I'm interested by this thread discussing coffee. Does one pay for coffee all over the ship or just in specialty coffee bars? I see there is reference to "free coffee", is that instant? There is also a discussion of refills of brewed coffee. How much does a cup of brewed coffee usually cost? Do I need a coffee card for that? I realize that some of this is changing and that you are all trying to learn the new rules but I'd be happy with your recent experiences.

What about for breakfast and dinner in regular dining room situations? Do they serve brewed coffee (included with the meal) for breakfast and dinner?

Thanks for your input.

Just off of the CB, free brewed coffee at the lobby bar was included with the coffee card, in fact the waiter we purchased it from made a point of letting us know this.

On another note, I noticed on the bottom of the lobby bar menu it said that tea and brewed coffee were complimentary while sitting in the bar or lounge there....

Does one pay for coffee all over the ship or just in specialty coffee bars? I see there is reference to "free coffee", is that instant? There is also a discussion of refills of brewed coffee. How much does a cup of brewed coffee usually cost? Do I need a coffee card for that? I realize that some of this is changing and that you are all trying to learn the new rules but I'd be happy with your recent experiences.

What about for breakfast and dinner in regular dining room situations? Do they serve brewed coffee (included with the meal) for breakfast and dinner?

There is FREE coffee at breakfast, lunch and dinner. However, it is made from concentrate, somewhat like orange juice. Most of the time, it's just fine for most people. Coffee flavor is very subjective. Some love Starbucks and would never touch Dunkin' Donuts and vice versa. Hence, the coffee debate.

The coffee card is just for specialty coffee, such as cappucino in the dining rooms or for specially-brewed coffee in the Patisserie. I don't think it can be used for room service coffee.

If this deteriorates into another shouting match, name calling thread over Princess' coffee (which by the way is a dead horse beaten many times over, and it's still being debated whether he will arise).......

it will go poof....

fair warning..:rolleyes:

Bit touchy today, aren't we? And "poof" is very non-PC.

Perhaps the OP was given incorrect information by a staff member who didn't understand the "rules" of the coffee card.

And, since the OP's DH went for the morning coffee, I wonder if maybe he had one card but tried to get two? I wish the OP would come back and elaborate a little more. Maybe when she has a sea day she will expand her circumstances just a bit.

Speaking of purchasing on board.....I was just on the Princess Gift Site and noticed that you can now purchase the Ice Cream card in advance as a gift. I wonder if they will be adding the Coffee Card :rolleyes:

I looked on the Princess website, but couldn't find anything about a coffee card. How much do they cost, and is it something you purchase onboard?

Wow, this thread got alot of hits!!! As the OP, just wanted to come back and say, that yes, we checked again and no, on this ship there is no brewed coffee with the coffee card. About my comment about it being "obigatory", it was just an expression. I think the coffee in the dining rooms is just fine, the buffet and room service coffee is a base from syrup. I appreciate that some find this fine....I wish it were so for me! BTW, we are having sunny skies and a lovely cruise. Internet is slow. I intended to have a LIVE FROM THE DAWN THREAD, but just not possible!!

Hapy cruising to you all!!!

We were on the Dawn on the last Alaska cruise in September (9/18). We had a coffee card, and we tried to use it for a latte for my husband and a brewed coffee for me. It came back with two punches on it. I told the manager that I'd been told the brewed coffee was included, but no punch. He said that as of two cruises before our, they were told to punch for any coffee drink, including brewed.

Apparently the Dawn also now has a small and a large brewed coffee. They said that's why they now punch and you get a large (16 oz vs 12oz I think) with your punch.

We used the card for the specialty coffee drinks, and paid the 1.00 for the brewed. The manager did give us a free specialty drink the next day because of the misunderstanding.

I have no idea if this is going fleetwide.

abby

Something I noticed on the dawn.... The regular tap coffee in the buffet area..... of course

But near the burger station there is a machine that is self contained and makes coffee. Not the regular coffee on tap ; tastes more like fresh brewed.. (&free)...

Has anyone else tried and noticed this difference?

I looked on the Princess website, but couldn't find anything about a coffee card. How much do they cost, and is it something you purchase onboard?

ok, that's my next question...where do I get one (I see someone got one from a waiter)...anyplace else?...and how much do they cost?

Anne (nymue) - Thank you very much for your clear answer...that helps me understand this funny subject better.

...and I'm enjoying the way this conversation has progressed (and not) that I'm beginning to think that I like Princess...you all seem to be my kind of folks (no matter what kind of coffee you like - LOL)!

Just got off Emerald Princess last week and yes, the brewed coffee was free when you showed your card. The poolside bar and the cafe in the atrium area were the only places where brewed was available. We used French Press cups in the morning for coffee on the balconey.

When we were on the CB 2 months ago I tried getting a cup a fresh brewed in the HC (with the card) and was told "sorry, no fresh brewed".

You have to get it from the bar area outside the HC. It was free with the coffee card on the CB.

Does the waiter carry around a paper punch?? or does he sometimes not punch the card? We have noticed that more than half the time the waiter does not charge for corking wine. when this happens we slip him an extra tip.'

Just curious. We just found out abut CC after many princess cruises, not drinking coffee at all. Something about their regular coffee upsets my stomach and I have to hold my entres, appetizers and desserts to 2 each LOL

Does the waiter carry around a paper punch?? or does he sometimes not punch the card?

In my experience on the Sun, it varied in the dining room. Sometimes they would take it and punch it or write an "x" over the spot. Once or twice, they did not punch my card, even though they took it. Bonus! :)

Thanks for the Info. We take the Dawn Dec9 and I considered the card..still might for the lattes etc... but Since "good" coffee is a relatively subjective thing...and I am a bit of a snob...(I think starbucks is the Evil Empire..and their product tastes like...well ...product. ) So. Why fight. Bring the French press or a little 4 cup jobbie and blow off the Princess Brewhaha... Again...Good Heads up.

Archived