Coffee Card Alert

Murphey

Hi...we are currently on the Dawn Princess and I purchased the obigatory coffee card in order to enjoy fresh brewed coffee in the mornings. Alas, when DH went to fetch it for me this morning, he was told that it was only good for the specialty coffees and you still had to purchase the brewed coffee. This is a change we did not know about. :( No it's not going to ruin our cruise, but it is a disappointment....thought the rest of you would want to know...

Hi...we are currently on the Dawn Princess and I purchased the obigatory coffee card in order to enjoy fresh brewed coffee in the mornings. Alas, when DH went to fetch it for me this morning, he was told that it was only good for the specialty coffees and you still had to purchase the brewed coffee. This is a change we did not know about. :( No it's not going to ruin our cruise, but it is a disappointment....thought the rest of you would want to know...
I didn't realize that the coffee card is "obligatory." When did this change? I've never gotten a coffee card because on every cruise (except for the Golden last February), the FREE coffee was just fine.

From what I have read previously, even before this, some ships would allow you unlimited brewed coffee when buying the coffee card and some would not. So, it sounds like maybe they are all going to fall in the 'no' category catgory soon. If that happens, I am sure passengers are going to be very very unhappy. Especially those that can not tolerate the ships regular coffee served in the HC and other places onboard.

No it's not going to ruin our cruise, but it is a disappointment....thought the rest of you would want to know...

Hi Murphy,

Thanks for the update. we'll be on the CB in 5 weeks so will check it out and let you know. Looks like my plan to take the French Press along next month just got moved up a few spots on the to-do list!

Hi Murphy,

Thanks for the update. we'll be on the CB in 5 weeks so will check it out and let you know. Looks like my plan to take the French Press along next month just got moved up a few spots on the to-do list!

YEP! Looks like it is time to look at plan B a little closer. I am sure this new policy (if it is fleet wide) will get several people upset.

Can you tell me more about this coffee card? Is it relatively new? I didn't think it'd been *that* long since our last cruise...

Thanks!

Not new. It is a card that allows you (for a fee) 15 specialty coffees and, at least in the past, unlimited freshly brewed coffee instead of having to drink the regular concentrated coffee.

Unlike the soda sticker, one can share this card as it is based on a set number of specialty coffees and they punch out your card for each specialty coffee you order.

We just got off Dawn yesterday and the free coffee tasted fine. I like specialty coffees, but didnt' have a single one on this trip. Unlike the soda cards which we were approached for many times, I totally forgot about the coffee cards existence since no one ever mentioned them.

The card was only "obligatory" for those who appreciate quality coffee. I, personally, would rather they raise the price of the coffee card $5.00 to $30.00 and still have it cover unlimited brewed coffee.

"Quality coffee"? What I drank tasted like coffee I've had many places before, even expensive upscale restaurants. I think this discussion has come up before and what I remember is the argument over whether the "brewed" coffee is the same all over the ship, which I understood from that discussion, is the same.

I called Princess on this one. I have had many coffee cards and always got unlimited brewed coffee with it. Princess says the policy remains the same. I asked on the Emerald roll call to see what the experience has been on that ship and wait for a reply. We leave next Tuesday and I want my coffee. I never heard of the brewed coffee NOT being included. It used to be free at the Plaza Bar.

I love the faith some have in Princess Customer Service or whomever you called. Most of what is posted on these boards are based on actual experiences -- a whole lot more reliable than what Princess will tell you on the phone! /Sultan

I called Princess on this one. I have had many coffee cards and always got unlimited brewed coffee with it. Princess says the policy remains the same.

The card was only "obligatory" for those who appreciate quality coffee. I, personally, would rather they raise the price of the coffee card $5.00 to $30.00 and still have it cover unlimited brewed coffee.

Personally I wouldn't be willing to pay $30 more for a coffee card, if that's what you meant. :)

I was unable to use my coffee card in July on the Sun Princess to get brewed coffee at the bars--any of them. No biggie to me--I just always ordered a latte at the coffee bar and in the dining room. I was a little disappointed that it was not the way I had read, but I survived. And the lattes were good!

We were on the Island Princess just two weeks ago and were able to get fresh brewed at the Patisserie every morning just showing the card. Ron

I sure hope this is the case when we board the Crown next month. I am really looking forward to it!

I'm looking at an interesting Princess cruise itinerary so thought I should find out something about Princess. As a newbie to cruising, I'm discovering that each cruise line has it's own personality and different ways of doing things.

I'm interested by this thread discussing coffee. Does one pay for coffee all over the ship or just in specialty coffee bars? I see there is reference to "free coffee", is that instant? There is also a discussion of refills of brewed coffee. How much does a cup of brewed coffee usually cost? Do I need a coffee card for that? I realize that some of this is changing and that you are all trying to learn the new rules but I'd be happy with your recent experiences.

What about for breakfast and dinner in regular dining room situations? Do they serve brewed coffee (included with the meal) for breakfast and dinner?

Thanks for your input.

Caroline,

No, this is not one of these issues. I want to know if the coffee card includes fresh brewed coffee. I leave next Tuesday and I have never had an issue with my coffee card. I had so many speciality coffees and unlimited fresh brewed coffee every day. Why is it that some ships offer only the speciality coffees? The coffee card should offer the same benefits fleet wide.

I know that we experienced cruisers know more than the Princess reps, but don't flame me for calling and asking about an issue.

Archived