Looking for Winspirit St Thomas RT Trip Report?

Finzup1

If I was you and booked a Windstar cruise I would not take that big long letter as anything but someone who did not know how to have a good time with out someone throwing an activity down their throat.

On Windstar Cruises there are two types of guests, the ones you get to know and have a great time with and the ones that GO and standout that everyone remembers. I had the dubious honor of sailing with these two guests who wrote that email on the February 17th sailing on the Wind Spirit. They were not 70 years old as someone thought they may have been; they were not retired to Boca either. They were, if I remember correctly about 35 years old and didn't really mingle with anyone else or GO to dinner with anyone.

There are several reasons that they stick out, as I was told by a crew member (who will remain nameless) they were the first people on the Wind Spirit since the new tipping policy came out to cancel their tips, and they wouldn't stop complaining about it. I understand how some people can disagree with some cruiselines tipping policies, but dont blame the crew for it.

They also kept complaining about not getting more L'Occitane products sent to their cabin because they kept taking it and complaining there was none left; you cant go through 5 jars of hand lotion in 2 days, its not physically possible. They stated in the email that the Management was crappy due to the sale of the company, they announced the sale during our cruise how would this have changed any management? The Officers and crew found out the same time as us. I think they were just bitter because they wouldn't give them 20 more bottles of conditioner. It actually became a joke on the ship listening to them complain about the L'Occitane, it was like they thought it was owed to them and they would try and take as much as possible. We refered to them as the ammenities collectors. We, and everyone I talked to on the cruise had no problems getting anything replenished. Our steward would do it without our even asking.

The Wind Spirit is a magnificent 400' sailing ship, how big did they expect the pool or the gym to be??? They were the only guests to complain about Jost van Dyke, if you dont like Jost there's no helping you. It's one of the only unspoiled islands left in the Caribbean that is not full of jewelry shops and liquor stores.

From reading their email it seems that they wanted everything for free and didn't like having to pay for anything, cruiseline are a business. If they dont make money on the ship they will add it to our booking price. All lines do it, even at Sandals resorts. You dont see the price on the drinks but they dont give them away for free...its in the price of your booking. They kept refering to all inclusive resorts in the email, Windstar has never advertised itself to be all inclusive like most cruiseline you have to pay for the extras. The all inclusive resports are nice but resorts dont move from port to port. If that is the vacation you want then enjoy it. If you want to sail around the Virgin Islands on a ship that carries 140 guests and stops at ports no other line visits then GO on a Windstar cruise.

Dont let the tirade of one couple who was unhappy deter you from having a great time. the ship is lovely and the crew are fantastic.

Oh yeah, the reason I wrote. There is no luggage storage at the airport in St. Thomas but the taxi idea with a few friends is a great way to see the island, keep you luggage safe and not have to sit in the airport all day.

Rental cars are a great way to visit the islands but make sure you have a designated driver :) those rum punches can be wicked.

have fun

Our neighbors just returned from their 4th Windstar. They begged us to go on the trip with them but it didn't work with our schedule.

They were sorely disappointed. No Sports Director, no diving off back platform unless using an outside operator at add'l cost. Many provisions were out including some wines, nail polish in the salon!, etc. Equipment in the gym with "out of service" notices, etc.

They were most dismayed with the response of the crew. With every concern they were told, "Oh that will be fixed on the next cruise, next week!" There will not be another Windstar for these folks.

Our neighbors just returned from their 4th Windstar. They begged us to go on the trip with them but it didn't work with our schedule.

They were sorely disappointed. No Sports Director, no diving off back platform unless using an outside operator at add'l cost. Many provisions were out including some wines, nail polish in the salon!, etc. Equipment in the gym with "out of service" notices, etc.

They were most dismayed with the response of the crew. With every concern they were told, "Oh that will be fixed on the next cruise, next week!" There will not be another Windstar for these folks.

• 1 month later...

We sailed on the Wind Spirit 12/22. It was our 20th cruise but first Wind Star cruise. I must say anyone who does not like the Wind Spirit is nuts. I will have a very hard time ever going on a big ship again.This vacation was so laid back and relaxing. The crew was just great learned our names fast. They were there when you wanted them but didn't bother you at all. I only meet my room steward once. He was like a ghost keep the room spotless but was never around. The ship was under sail all most 75% of the time and the sport deck was open at every port. We really didn't meet anyone we didn't like and you end up knowing just about everyone. John was with us for his 42 Wind Star cruise [solo] and he dined with some one every night. Book this cruise and enjoy yourself.

Kelly

no diving off back platform unless using an outside operator at add'l cost.

Just to clarify, you were never allowed to dive off the back platform. You could sign up for the on-board diving program with the on-board Sports Coordinators - at an additional cost.

• 3 weeks later...

We have done the cruise three times and enjoyed every minute of every day. Our first cruise they did experiment with free beer at the pool and wine with dinner. They did not do it again after our cruise drank them dry. Kind of fun becaue it was the first cruise after returning from the Med and it was loaded with Euopean beer!

A point of interest, we flew from St Thomas to SJ on American Eagle and they checked our bags straight home on Continental. Didn't have to claim our bags and re-check with Continental in SJ. They might can do it with other carriers. Sure elimated alot of hassle and since we had a late flight back to Houston town and we were able to go goof off in old town SJ.

Archived