Belfast - Things to See & Do

Nymue

This will be our second British Isles & Ireland Cruise. In 2006 we went to the Giants Causeway. Anyone have any suggestions for tours or places to visit on our 2008 cruise?

Thanks,

Anne

We did the shore excursion to Londonderry (Or Derry, depending on your heritage)...Fascinating town...They lead you on a walk around the town walls...and you see all sorts of reminders of the Catholic/Protestant "troubles"...

Hi Anne -

I had a day visit on the Grand Princess last July when she was here in Belfast. One thing I would NOT do is walk into to the the city centre! We saw many people walking rather than taking the courtesy buses. There is nothing to see in the dock area, and traffic lanes make it difficult to walk safely. There have been posts before of 'what to do' - we have just had visitors from England and have done most of the touristy things such as Giants Causeway, Mountains of Mourne, Ards Peninsula. I will give my own opinions within the next couple of days, but have just seen your post and it is 'bedtime' here!

Rosie

We went to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, which is about seven miles outside Belfast. It's a very large assembly of buildings & furniture moved there from all over Ulster reflecting the farming heritage, print shops, bakeries, schools, courts etc. I've never been to Williamsburg but it's along that line I would imagine, or like Sturbridge Village in MA or Mystic Seaport in CT. There are costumed interpreters in some of the buildings. When we were there, there were groups of school children living there for a week, immersing themselves in the time period. They were putting on a trial in the court & they had been assigned roles which they had rehearsed, and they were dressed for the parts. An adult was the presiding judge. We were invited in to watch & it was just hysterical. It's a nice rural outdoorsy kind of day. The place is very large & we had not allotted enough time. We never even got to the transport part of the site. I'd go back in a heartbeat. The website is www.uftm.org.uk. Click on "tour the museum" on the right and it gives a good idea of what there is to see. We loved Belfast and hope to go back again one day! Have a great time!

Hi Anne, I'm so glad you enjoyed looking at the website. It really is a neat place and it's a break from being in "cities" all the time, if you know what I mean. I'm not really sure how you would get there from the port. Last year when we went, there was a "cruise critic" from the area who offered himself up (for a fee) to act as a tour guide for the day. He did a great job and we enjoyed him a lot and we still stay in touch from time to time. I had found out about the folk museum on the internet & asked that we be dropped there for a few hours (as I said - nowhere near enough time). I would recommend him but a few months ago I e-mailed him on behalf of someone else and he said he was no longer able to take time off from work to do guiding. Since it's not that far outside Belfast I imagine you could e-mail a taxi company and inquire about arrangements for getting you there & back. We do that a lot. The website indicates there is a bus stop outside the entrance, I guess if there's a bus stop near the port that might be an option too.

In the rest of our port time we saw City Hall, did a boat ride on the Langan River, saw the murals, and a bunch of other stuff. Belfast has a rich Titanic heritage too, and I think in time they will make more of it. Right now it's pretty "unorganized" and sites are pointed out to you, but it's just not presented well at the moment IMHO. I really think the folk museum is a great option.:)

Anne -

The Ulster Folk & Transport Museum is aprox. 8 miles from where the cruise ships dock. It would be very easy to pre arrange a cab to take you there (I'd say about £10), would not recommend local transportation as you will be dropped on the main Belfast-Bangor road and then have to make your way to the Visitor Centre area. It would be then easy to arrange a cab back to Belfast. I know it is possible to get a driver for the day - they could also take you to other places in Co. Down - Donaghadee, the Ards Peninsula, Portaferry and Greyabbey. If you 'google' these places you will see what they are like - just small seaside towns with limited shops, cafes, bars, etc.

http://www.fonacab.com/tours.asp

The Culloden Hotel is nearby to the Folk Museum, you may want to have lunch there -

http://www.hastingshotels.com/index.cfm/section/page/ext/Location_Map/website_key/3/

If you returned to Belfast after the Folk Museum you could do the HOHO bus tour

http://www.belfastcitysightseeing.com/citytour/

Here is the 'Go To Belfast' website:

http://www.gotobelfast.com/localtours/index.cfm/level/page/category_key/196/Page_Key/275/Parent_Key/268/type/Page/PaGeName/Sightseeing_Tours

The Crown bar is a National Trust Property, frequented by tourists and locals alike

http://www.crownbar.com/

Hope this is of help,

Rosie

Archived