Port tax,departure tax the same regardless

I have a friend that was booked on an inside cabin on the FOS in Nov. A few days ago I informed her that RC had a senior special on the Promanade cabins which at least have a window for $779 per person for 7 day cruise. They were paying $759 for a inside cabin which is a little smaller. So for $40 they could get a window over-looking the Promanade and a few more sq. ft.

I called her and told her about the senior special and she was allowed to get the cabin but her TA told her she had to pay another $80 in port taxes, departure taxes, etc. I thought no matter what cabin you were in.... the taxes were the same.

Does anyone know if she is being taken advantage of ? Now she had already paid final payment on her cabin as she sails Nov.25 but I can't see why that would make a difference.

I just know someone out there will have the correct answer to this one. Thank you.

I have a friend that was booked on an inside cabin on the FOS in Nov. A few days ago I informed her that RC had a senior special on the Promanade cabins which at least have a window for $779 per person for 7 day cruise. They were paying $759 for a inside cabin which is a little smaller. So for $40 they could get a window over-looking the Promanade and a few more sq. ft.

I called her and told her about the senior special and she was allowed to get the cabin but her TA told her she had to pay another $80 in port taxes, departure taxes, etc. I thought no matter what cabin you were in.... the taxes were the same.

Does anyone know if she is being taken advantage of ? Now she had already paid final payment on her cabin as she sails Nov.25 but I can't see why that would make a difference.

I just know someone out there will have the correct answer to this one. Thank you.

I believe that you are correct. I just priced a few cabins on a couple of different ships for the same cruises, and JS and cheapest interior had the same "taxes" added in the final booking step.

Your friend should make sure that her TA is not changing her fee or charging a change fee.

Tax is the same. Regardless of category. The TA is screwing her.

I don't know if this could be what is happening, but the taxes & fees on our 5-night Western Caribbean cruise are higher right now than what we paid when we booked. We recently had a price drop, and I was wondering if our taxes & fees would go up to the current charge when they applied the price drop, but they did not.

So maybe the taxes & fees have gone up on the OP's cruise since the time it was booked and, since the friends wanted to switch to a different cabin category, the higher taxes were being applied.

Just a thought.

KelJ has the only answer that I know of also that the taxes etc would increase. Your friend needs to contact the TA and ask what the new port charges, taxes are. I would ask for a cruiseline confirmation fax that will show the exact price. I see that today the promenade cabins with a sr special are running at $790.00 cruise rate with port charges and taxes of 208.76 pp. Was everything included in the 779.00 price that you posted?

Archived