A question about location of HMC

Orcrone

I keep reading about the eye going right over San Salvador and HMC. If I'm not mistaken HMC is not on San Salvador, but instead Little Salvador, which is a different island. It's much smaller and shows up as a dot on the map. Although that island is of course feeling the wrath of Frances, it's about 50 miles from where the eye is passing.

Is this correct?

This was posted by Gizmo in another thread:

AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF FRANCES WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 24.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 74.8 WEST

Half Moon is at Latitude 24.35 and Longitude 75.55.

Looks like Half Moon took a direct hit.

It really saddens me to think she has been badly damaged. I am sure she can be restored but it will take time.

The improvements were all to be completed by the first week in December. I imagine they may nowbe delayed.

[quote name='sail7seas']It really saddens me to think she has been badly damaged. I am sure she can be restored but it will take time.[/QUOTE]You're right. And much will depend on how much sand is moved around. Someone noted on another thread how often these storms move lots of sand, thus re-laying the shoreline. Let's just hope it isn't too bad.

First time on St. Kitts was as a cruise ship port -- we spent a day at a beautiful beach with the pelicans, turquoise water and soft white sands. We vowed to go back, and did so a few years later -- in the intervening years there had been a serious hurricane -- our beautiful beach was now a lot smaller, most of the soft white sand gone, and lots of rocks.........

Archived