Brilliance of the Seas Mediterranean cruise journal posted

I have posted my journal from our recent Mediterranean sailing on Brilliance of the Seas on our web site. Find out what 3 days in Barcelona and 12 whirlwind days of cruising feels like!

Check it out at http://web.mac.com/thecruiseguys/. Click on the Cruises link at the top, then select Brilliance of the Seas. The link to Mike's journal is listed on that page.

Enjoy,

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the review- 1/2 hour of sheer escapism. I love your website, and have been lurking around waiting for you to post your latest review with great interest. Now back to reality, got the ironing to do, but will be thinking that our cruise on the Brilliance is still to come next July!

I read your excellent review of the Navigator before we went on our back to back in 2005, and would be very interested in hearing your views on how the two ships compare.

Thanks again.

Hi Mike

I read your excellent review of the Navigator before we went on our back to back in 2005, and would be very interested in hearing your views on how the two ships compare.

Well, Navigator will always have a special place in my heart since it was my first cruise.....

Comparing the two?

I like the Royal Promenade better on Navigator (and other Voyager-class ships) than the shops on Brilliance. On Brilliance, the setup of the shops created a bottle-neck in the hallway which made it very difficult to pass particularly when they set the tables up for their special event sales.

I liked the Windjammer MUCH better on Brilliance. It is not a cafeteria-style line, so you can get in to the stations you want quickly without waiting for the line to move. Plus, Brilliance has great seating outdoors at the back of the ship.

There are no 24-hour food options on Brilliance other than room service. The SeaView Cafe on Brilliance is open to like 2am, while the Promenade Cafe on Navigator is open 24 hours (at least from what I can remember)

The SeaView Cafe on Brilliance is great, the food is fresh and hot and cooked to order. There is no equivalent restaurant on Navigator.

The disco on Brilliance is not as cavern-like as on Navigator. Loved the Champagne Bar on Brilliance, but missed the Martini Bar (or whatever the name of the bar in the Viking Crown was called) on Navigator.

Brilliance is not as big as Navigator, so there was less walking when you forget something in the room. (Not a big deal, I don't mind the walking, helps me work off the extra calories)

Rooms are better decorated on Brilliance. Nice use of darker colours, like dark brown wood, navy blue...

The Solarium on Brilliance has a roof that can be closed, so it can be used in poor weather. The decor of the Solarium on Brilliance was stunning, it was very hot and humid in there though.

Brilliance seemed noisier since the Centrum in the middle of the ship goes all the way up to the top of the ship, and there are usually bands playing in the Atrium Bar on the bottom floor of the Centrum.

Loves the open air feeling of Brilliance with all the glass and windows.

I had the choice between Navigator and Brilliance and all other things were the same (itinerary, price...), I would probably pick Brilliance.

Mike

I really enjoyed reading this! I love all the details you included. It sounds like it was a very full trip, with a lot to absorb.

I have been wondering about the best way to fly to Barcelona, given the paucity of direct flights. I will definitely look into flying Continental from Newark.

Thanks for such an informative summary.

I really enjoyed reading this! I love all the details you included. It sounds like it was a very full trip, with a lot to absorb.

I have been wondering about the best way to fly to Barcelona, given the paucity of direct flights. I will definitely look into flying Continental from Newark.

Thanks for such an informative summary.

I think we only found a few direct flights. There was Continental from Newark, Iberia from Miami, US Air from Phillie and that was about it.

Whoa, I am half way though your journal and I just also had a Small World moment. I am also from Timmins, actually I am in my office in Timmins right now. How cool.

NO WAY!!!!

I left in '81 when I went to college, but am still up there twice a year to see my mother. It's an eight hour drive from Ottawa. I graduated from Theriault in '81.

That's wild. Lee thinks there are no people who live in Timmins anymore as they are all in Ottawa, as I am constantly pointing out people I knew from there.

Mike

I think we only found a few direct flights. There was Continental from Newark, Iberia from Miami, US Air from Phillie and that was about it.

I think there may also be something from JFK, on Iberia, maybe? But it might be wise to avoid JFK anyway. I used to fly from DC to Newark years ago on the long-defunct PeopleExpress - how is Newark now?

Okay, so I didn't work the last hour+ today. I spent it reading your journal Mike, and as I expected, it was wonderful! I can't see me ever cruising the Med so I enjoyed the trip through you and Lee.

And Lee, you can test my ring tones early morning anytime! ;)

There were several things in Mike's journal that made me laugh out loud. You waking Mike up testing ring tones was one of them.

Thank you both for sharing your adventure and making me smile.

Now I'm going back to Funny Girl on TCM.

Cathy

I think there may also be something from JFK, on Iberia, maybe? But it might be wise to avoid JFK anyway. I used to fly from DC to Newark years ago on the long-defunct PeopleExpress - how is Newark now?

Nope, I flew from JFK on Iberia, we had a short layover in Madrid, nothing direct. JFK is my airport of choice in the NY area.

I have posted my journal from our recent Mediterranean sailing on Brilliance of the Seas on our web site. Find out what 3 days in Barcelona and 12 whirlwind days of cruising feels like!

Check it out at http://web.mac.com/thecruiseguys/. Click on the Cruises link at the top, then select Brilliance of the Seas. The link to Mike's journal is listed on that page.

Enjoy,

Mike

Mike, thanks for the comments about people who complain about English not being spoken, coffee too foreign, etc.

Fran in Scarberia

Archived