Appropriate formal fabrics on spring Mexican itinerary?

Cerinda

This board has tackled velvet and velour, white and winter white: how about satin vs. crepe? taffeta vs. georgette? black vs. white dinner jacket?

My 14yo DD is trying to find trousers to go with a beaded, cream chiffon halter top. We found lovely pale gold silk satin ones today, but have actually been searching for neutral or soft pastel crepe or georgette.

Once upon a time I would never have worn satin or taffeta in the summer, but I did wear a lilac satin dress (strapless bodice, generous a-line skirt with natual waist, slight ruching and faux wrap) to an evening wedding last month, and it felt alright. I'm planning on wearing that dress again on our cruise.

So is satin out of place on formal night in March on a Mexican itinerary? Have we all agreed to ignore the old rule about satin only for dressy events from Thanksgiving through Valentines Day?

And what about dinner jackets? My very favorite evening outfit is a classic black "smoking," an exquisitely tailored tuxedo that --at first glance-- differs from a man's suit only by its single rhinestone button. It REALLY fits, and I REALLY feel fabulous in it! Will I look too wintry?

There are maybe a handful of people left here that really would notice. Your daughters outfit sounds lovely. Your suit sounds lovely. I doubt that 3/4 of the other pax will even know there is a difference between silk and satin.

You will see everything you can think of at formal night, from ballgowns to "Sunday best" and even what I would consider office wear. Men will be dressed in everything from classic tuxedo down to an unbuttoned white collared shirt with not even an undershirt under it, paired with chino type pants (not slacks).

The majority of women I've seen (I don't really look around that much) are wearing what I would call a long, dressy black dresses, not what I would call a "gown", or black evening pants with sparkley tops.

My point? Don't worry so much.

Archived