What was your favorite Alaska experience???

Host Caroline

For those of you that have returned, what was your favorite "Alaska Moment" on your cruise or while touring in Alaska????

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time! icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

One can never have too many days at sea..</font>

Let's see-it would be easier to list what wasn't our favorite moment (none). All of our 'moments' were booked independently.

Husband says: Denali with the 8 hour bus ride. We saw 11 bear, caribou, sheep, deer, state bird, etc. Great driver, great passengers, great weather, just plain great!

Wife says: Evening dinner boat cruise to one of the fjords(6 hrs) out of Seward. Up close and personal to the small surrounding islands and glaciers.

We say: Ketchikan flight tour to Misty Fjords.

We'll catch grief for this, but the whales in Juneau (CPT Larry)were only OK--we got spoiled with whales while cruising in Hawaii.

Dave and Elaine

Transatlantic sailing on the Constellation

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000drinkin_md_wht.giflickin_food_md_wht.gif Our Cruise Pictures http://community.webshots.com/user/davissatx

Hi,

For my husband Chris it was a Helicopter/Glacier Landing with Dogsledding in Juneau. He and the friends he made on that excursion said that there are not even words to describe how wonderful it was.

We also heard a lot of great things about the flightseeing tours in Ketchikan.

My favorite moment was a Wilderness Exploration and Crab Lunch Excursion (www.catchcrabs.com). It doesn't sound all that exciting but we got into some quiet wilderness and the Dungeness Crab meal was excellent!

As far as DO NOT do. Do not take the time to go to Liarsville in Skagway. It is *Very* touristy and not very much fun.

Jen

1st Cruise on Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 6/4/2004

I have to say we have two favorites:

Whale watching in Juneau with Capt. Larry was wonderful. Even better than seeing the whales was the extremely close view we got of eagles on the same excursion. They were coming in for fish right next to our boat.

But, it is hard to beat the day we spent in Glacier Bay. Words simply can't describe the beauty there. It was so quiet, peaceful and beautiful. We spent the entire day out on the deck. I took several rolls of film there.

Our favorite experience was sitting on our deck watching the scenery. Just sitting doing absolutely nothing being amazed by Alaska's beauty was enough for us.....however I believe the Kid's Club was my 11yr old's favorite experience!

Caroline:

It is so very difficult to pick just one favorite moment in such a beautiful place.

I enjoyed the horse back riding excursion into the Yukon and above beautiful Emerald Lake with South East Tours. At times it was so quiet that you felt it was just you with the horse venturing into uncharter territory.

The 4 glacier helicopter flight and dog sleding in Juneau with ERA Aviation was superb. The pilot was very knowlegable and was quick to point out bear tracks and mountain goats to us. The crew at the dog camp were just great and gave us plenty of time to stop for pictures of each other "mushing" the dogs.

Island Wings with Michelle in Ketchikan....has anyone ever said anything negative about her Misty Fjords tour? She is just the absolute greatest!!!

But I guess the greatest thrill for me was that I was on the May 17th Celebrity Mercury Cruise and we were the first cruise ship into Icy Straits. A pod of Orcas came swimming around the point about 10 minutes after I disembarked from the tender and I watched these beautiful creatures playfully swim past the town. One of the native Hoonahans pointed me in the direction of the breakwater, for a great view of Eagles and as I approached, at least 30 Eagles filled the air as a school of salomon swam through. It was absolutely awesome.

Rocky Top Mom

Top 3

Juneau - Whale watching with Capt. Larry. We saw many whales that day and for once it was sunny! icon_smile.gif

Skagway - Horseback Riding with Joni. We were the only 2 on the tour and had a fabulous time with Joni and the horses.

Glacier Bay!!!! Margerie glacier was very active and it was spectacular. I didn't know what to expact and was awe-struck.

Oops - sorry top 4 - Denali Wilderness tour saw so much wildlife (bear, moose, caribou, sheep, eagle and much more)

Sitting outside, wrapped in a blanket, watching the beautiful scenery.

Walking in Sitka and Ketchican in out-of-the way streets, too.

Russian Bishop's House in Sitka.

Nugget Falls at Mendenhall Glacier after walking to them.

Denali's Tundra Wilderness Tour

McKinley Explorer trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Saw Mt McKinley in sunlit glory both days

"Thanks to all for your help & advice. Our May 28th cruise was much better for it!"

Like the others I can't pick just one so here are the best:

Ice Trekking ( www.northstartrekking.com in Juneau). This is the coolest thing I've ever done and can't wait to do it again.

Kayaking (www.kayakketchikan.com) in Orca Cove. Although we didn't see any whales we did see a bunch of Bald Eagles and the salmon were jumping out of the water all around us. The snack they provided was tasty too. icon_smile.gif

Seeing a Bear on the Klondike Hwy outside of Skagway. I have always wanted to see one and I finally did. There were no cars anywhere so we got to sit there and watch it for 10 minutes before it walked into the bushes.

And of course seeing the Northern Lights!!!

Misty

Group Cruise Info for the Serenade - Alaska - 08/07/05 - Come and Join the fun!!. http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=877100712

Roll Call for the Grandeur 12/18/04. Come join us in New Orleans for the Christmas Season!! http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=389105961&r=699105961#699105961

Serenade of the Seas / Alaska / 08-07-05

Grandeur of the Seas / W. Caribbean / 12-18-04

Vision of the Seas / Mexico / 04-04-04

Radiance of the Seas /Alaska /07-05-03

My husband and I are just back 3 weeks so our experiences are still fresh in our minds. My favorite day of all was cruising in Glacier Bay. It was absolutely beautiful. Our favorite shore excursion was the helicopter ride/dog sledding in Juneau with Coastal Helicopters. We booked directly with them so it was a little less expensive.

Just returned from Celebrity, Infinity--I would have to say the 3.5 hr floatplane in Juneau with everyone having their own windowseat was awesome. Floatplane only held 10 people and flew over four glaciers then had a Salmon/bake dinner at a fantastic lodge. Much better than viewing Hubbard Glacier from the ship. ALASKA IS MAJESTIC.

Joanie510@aol.com

My top three would be:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Kayaking at Chilkoot Lake in Haines<LI>Snorkeling in Ketchikan<LI>Viewing Sawyer Glacier

Our day in Haines was so much more than just our kayaking trip. We also saw whales on the ferry trip from Skagway. And our lunch at the Bamboo Room was wonderful--salmon and Dungeness crab.

geoherb,

Please tell me about the snorkeling! My 2 teens (19 & 17 years) are going to do that, and I've heard varying comments about it, both good and bad. How was the experience in your opinion. details, details!!

thanks

sarahjane

Serenade to Alaska 7/25/04!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Serenade 7/04

Enchantment 1/04

Voyager 7/02

Majesty 2/01

The sunburn (tan) I got on the Infinity JUN 8 in Ketchican while eagles did their circuit around the bay and over the ship while docked. Oh yes and the Inside passage and the great views.

There was no question what my favorite moment was. It was sailing into College Fjord and seeing all those glaciers lined up one after the other and the whole surface of the fjord covered in ice. It was unreal and something I will never forget.

Back from Summit 14-day repo from SD to Alaska.

Favorite experience: Breakfast served on the veranda (from San Diego to San Francisco).

Wrapping up in the cozy woolen blankets to watch the scenery go by.....the hot chocolate handed to us by the crew as we re-boarded at each port.

Skagway: renting a car and traveling the 75 miles to Carcross and Emerald Lake, stopping at the world's smallest desert and marveling at the spectacular scenery and breathing the fresh mountain air. Stopping to video tape a black bear for about 15 minutes along the side of the road - stopping at the Cinnamon Cache in Carcross and enjoying a bowl of turkey noodle soup and wonderfully fresh baked bread while talking with the owner about the area.

Juneau: Finally taking a bus ride out to Mendenhall Glacier!

Sitka: sitting by the marina and watching was a bald eagle perched on top of one of the sail boat masts - and was still perched there above it all as we took the tender back to the ship. Then being in awe as 3 eagles flew past our deck 9 veranda at eye level - so close we could almost touch them.

Ketchikan: When the rains stopped and the sun came out and we met my brother and his wife and another cruise friend - all of us in port on different ships - for lunch!

And the wonderful crew and staff on Summit. It was like coming back home again at the end of each day.

Pooh Bear

=^-.-^=

(AKA/Sharon and Will)

REMBRANDT - Med. 9/1998: and so it begins!

LEGEND OF THE SEA - Med. 5/1999

SPLENDOR OF THE SEA - Med. 5/2000

INFINITY - Hawaii 4/2001

MILLIE -Med. - 5/2002 (X No Go)

RHAPSODY OF THE SEA - Mardi Gras - 2/2002

INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2002

SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2003

INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2003

SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2004

And next:

MILLIE (finally!)- 5/15/2005 back to the beautiful MEDITERRANEAN!

**No clock - too much trouble - but I'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHEN MILLIE LEAVES FOR THE MEDITERRANEAN**

(5/15/05!!)

Ahh, how can one choose?

My hubby would say the flight plane (Island Wings) over the Misty Fjiords.

I would claim the helicopter/walkaround on Mendenhall Glacier, heck how many people do you know that have walked on a glacier (present company excepted lol!) icon_smile.gif

Sailing through Tracy Arm Fjiords was spectacular! We had a gorgeous sunny morning and the scenery was all I could have imagined Alaska being, just incredible!

I can't pick just ONE!

Carol T

Sarah Jane, I'm curious what you heard about snorkeling. We did it last year through the ship and had an absolutely wonderful time. I'm sure your kids will have a great time as well. The tour was very professionally run and the guides were very attentive and informative. The website for the company that runs the tours is snorkel alaska

Having lived on the east coast for the first years of my life the expanse of Alaska was overwhelming on our first trip in 2000. On the midnight sun express to Denali I looked out at the mountains and m wife asked me if I was OK. I replied that I was and she asked why there were tears in my eyes. I replied "what color are the mountains" she replied "purple". Then I asked about the song America the beautiful and said this was what they meant by "purple mountains majesty".

In 2001 my sister in law, a native American, upon seeing the sawyer glacier turned with tears in her eyes and said "Boy does this make you feel insignificant or what".

In 2003 a friend seeing the Mendenhall Glacier remarked about the amount of refigeration necessary to keep it frozen that he expected to see a Disney sign somewhere.

Evert time we go it is so special that I cannot express my favorite trip however the trip into the Yukon from Skagway and us leaving a fellow passenger behind at Canadian customs is perhaps the highlight. Those of you that have had the pleasure of Bruce as your guide will remember the story. We were on the bus when he did it the second time.

SantaHarry

My husband and I were snorkeling in Ketchikan this past Thursday. It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. I would highly recommend it. The staff who guide the trip are great and very attentive. The wet suits really do keep you from being cold and the underwater "world" is not to be missed. My husband is 53 and had never snorkeled before and he did not have any trouble. While there were no children on our trip, I am sure they would love it as well. Joanne

I have to agree with joannelyn, we were on the same tour and it was fantastic!! After I got over the tightness of the wet suite (I'm a bit phobic) the rest of the experience was great. We always try to do something different everytime we take a trip, so try it you might enjoy it as much as we did.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;11;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the gorgeous Diamond Princess...

The amazing view while flying over the glaciers of Juneau in a helicopter, walking around on Mendenhall Glacier, and drinking water straight from the glacier.

The Glacier Point Wilderness Safari excursion in Skagway. Canoeing around the growlers, past waterfalls, to a "beach" right alongside Davidson glacier. Gives you a whole different perspective on things. The guides actually live at Glacier Point all summer and totally love what they do - it shows in the excitement of the tours.

Coming back to Texas with a tan from Alaska.

but my favorite was the summit flight over Mt. McKinley. We had a picture perfect day...clear and sunny...and the views were incredible. From our lofty viewpoint, we saw climbers standing on the summit when we flew by, and there was also a sizeable base camp at 14.000 feet. We also flew over several planes which had landed on the glacier. I felt like my head was on a swivel.

Actually, we enjoyed every excursion we took...from the inexpensive touristy trips to the expensive excursions. Some were fun, some were educational, and some were awe inspiring.

Too many choices, too little time, too much money!

Archived