Hawaiian Music

suzy5555

I can't answer you about legality of uploads. That is still beyond my technical savvy. Regarding the music, do you want vocals or instrumentals, contemporary or older, more touristy vintage? Recently an orchestrial album of music by IZ was released called "Wonderful World". It has vocals of the late, great IZ backed by a full orchestra. It might be a good choice for your back ground sound. I love it, as I do all of his albums and those of many other artists. If I know more about what you want to set the mood I can give you other specific artists and album recommendations.

You will want to get Keola and Kapono Beamer's HONOLULU CITY LIGHTS and Olomana's SEABIRD cds. Beamer Brothers cd, use Honolulu City Lights, Kalipono Slack Key, Seabreeze and Only Good Times. On the Seabird cd you'll like Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u, Seabird and O Malia. Can't go wrong if you use these. I'm sure you can find them on ebay or probably download the songs I mentioned.

I love "Honolulu City Lights" - but Iz(Israel Kamakawiwo'ole) is incredible. I can't hear his "Over the Rainbow" without crying.

For classic Hawaiian - try Arthur Lymen - he's done tons of 'loungy' type of music - our favorites are "Taboo" and "Yellow Bird"

Charlie

I want to add Hawaiian music to my photo album. I want to purchase a CD. Who do you recommend?

If you purchase the music, is it legal to upload to a site like utube?

I have a CD that I've had for years and it has great Hawaiian songs on it. It is called Postcards from Hawaii by George Kulokahai. Do a google search for postcards from hawaii music cd and it should come up. There are 17 songs on the CD and they are all good Hawaiian songs such as Hilo March, Hawaiian Wedding Song, The Hukilau Song, Aloha Oe, Blue Hawaii, etc. It would make great background music. Hope this helps. Travelgirl

You will want to get Keola and Kapono Beamer's HONOLULU CITY LIGHTS and Olomana's SEABIRD cds. Beamer Brothers cd, use Honolulu City Lights, Kalipono Slack Key, Seabreeze and Only Good Times. On the Seabird cd you'll like Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u, Seabird and O Malia. Can't go wrong if you use these. I'm sure you can find them on ebay or probably download the songs I mentioned.

All great ideas! Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u is one of my favorites to dance to! Hapa's version of Ku'u Lei Awapuhi is probably my absolutel favorite Hawaiian song. When I am just working around the house, I just play my hula cd's. But my two Hapa CD's are played the most. Beautiful vocals & fabulous slack key. I think I will go pop one in right now. ;) :)

IZ is the staple.. I have his "Facing Future" CD. I uploaded a song to my webpage, and then used the graphics to give him credit... so I don't know if that is legal or not... but it seemed fair to me.

http://web.mac.com/spleenstomper

I agree.Facing Future is a work of art.It is in my cd player in my car right now.You can get it from Amazon.

I read years ago that when IZ died, his family was in financial crisis.... so I hope that purchasing his CD will help his family...

Spleenstomper - you sparked my curiosity - so I went looking for more information. IZ died June 1997 at the age of 38. A new CD was released this year. This is an article I found:

"On July 4th, 2007, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole debuted at No. 44 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart with "Wonderful World," selling 17,000 units. It was his biggest sales week ever, helping him garner his second No. 1 on Billboard's Top World Music chart. As of October of 2007, the album has sold 75,000 copies."

It would be a real shame if his family isn't benefiting from the sales.

I find one of the best places to get music to use as backgrounds for travel videos is on iTunes. That way you can purchase the cuts that best suit your video from a variety of artists, without having to purchase the entire CD. I got some great stuff that I used for last summer's Tahiti to Hawaii presentation.

I had first heard that when the show "ER" played "over the rainbow" on the episode where Dr. Greene died in Hawaii. I hadn't actually watched the episode, but remember reading a lot of "who sang that song" articles in entertainment sections of the paper, etc.

I found this tribute to IZ on you tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-uL2M3xvM

One of my favorite Hawaiian groups is Na Leo Pilimehana, who sing "I Miss You My Hawaii". A beautiful, sentimental song to listen to when you get home to bring back those memories of Hawaii:

http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/music/i_miss_you_my_hawaii

We heard this song during our helicopter flight over Kauai and it brought me to tears.

This is playing on the Hawaii Office of the Govenor's website, along with choices of many other songs you'll see on that site.

Cindy

One of my favorite Hawaiian groups is Na Leo Pilimehana, who sing "I Miss You My Hawaii". A beautiful, sentimental song to listen to when you get home to bring back those memories of Hawaii:

http://www.hawaii.gov/gov/music/i_miss_you_my_hawaii

We heard this song during our helicopter flight over Kauai and it brought me to tears.

This is playing on the Hawaii Office of the Govenor's website, along with choices of many other songs you'll see on that site.

Cindy

I love Na Leo. Their Christmas CD's are awesome. I have both and play them every Christmas. Travelgirl

I want to add Hawaiian music to my photo album. I want to purchase a CD. Who do you recommend?

I agree with all the posters to date on the choice of artists. After reading the original request, I've spent the last few days listening to my library of Hawaiian music. For the OP, Keola Beamer has an album "kolonabe - from the gentle wind". He is one of the Beamer Brothers of Honolulu City Lights fame. This album is more accoustic than the Brothers sound, very gentle yet most pleasant to listen to. It would be great background for any picture show of Hawai'i. It has a solo version of Honolulu City Lights as well! IMO you will be very pleased with this choice. In any case, enjoy the variety of music to pick from. Aloha.

I agree with all the posters to date on the choice of artists. After reading the original request, I've spent the last few days listening to my library of Hawaiian music. For the OP, Keola Beamer has an album "kolonabe - from the gentle wind". He is one of the Beamer Brothers of Honolulu City Lights fame. This album is more accoustic than the Brothers sound, very gentle yet most pleasant to listen to. It would be great background for any picture show of Hawai'i. It has a solo version of Honolulu City Lights as well! IMO you will be very pleased with this choice. In any case, enjoy the variety of music to pick from. Aloha.

I too have been spending the last few days listening (online) to many artists. I just finished my video and Keola Beamer is one of the artist I chose. I chose He'eia. I hope he is singing about the town. I have no clue what the words are :o . Thank you everyone for your input. It has been fun listening to all the different artists.

Here is a link to my video:

www.youtube.com/cw5555cw

I too have been spending the last few days listening (online) to many artists. I just finished my video and Keola Beamer is one of the artist I chose. I chose He'eia. I hope he is singing about the town. I have no clue what the words are :o . Thank you everyone for your input. It has been fun listening to all the different artists.

Here is a link to my video:

www.youtube.com/cw5555cw

Very nice!

I just saw him this weekend. He was a judge at the Hula Competition here in California. I was hoping he would get up and sing... but alas, he did not. :(

Was that at the Alameda County Fairgrounds?

I would have attended if I had known he was there. But I guess since he did not sing, I did not miss out. (phew):D

Was it just Hula, or was there other Hawaiian performances?

Was that at the Alameda County Fairgrounds?

I would have attended if I had known he was there. But I guess since he did not sing, I did not miss out. (phew):D

Was it just Hula, or was there other Hawaiian performances?

Yes - it was at the fairgrounds. He didn't sing the two days that I was there. Charles Kaupu did a chant before Sunday's performances. But if Keali'i sang, then it wasn't when I was there.

This one was just hula. Kahiko & Auana. Sunday was the best day. I am uploading some performances to youtube right now... so check my album in a little bit. http://www.youtube.com/suziehmkr

Tahiti Fete will be back in July - so we are looking forward to that! :)

I absolutely love Raiatea Helm, especially her second CD "Sweet and Lovely." Her voice is beautiful and has an authentic Hawaiian style (falsetto with slack key guitar accompaniament) that is also very contemporary. This CD was nominated for a Grammy in 2005, and she won the Hawaiian "vocalist of the year." She is fabulous! I also like Natalie Ai Kamauu and Keali'i Reichel. Google any of them and you should find some clips to listen to before buying.

Yes - it was at the fairgrounds. He didn't sing the two days that I was there. Charles Kaupu did a chant before Sunday's performances. But if Keali'i sang, then it wasn't when I was there.

This one was just hula. Kahiko & Auana. Sunday was the best day. I am uploading some performances to youtube right now... so check my album in a little bit. http://www.youtube.com/suziehmkr

Tahiti Fete will be back in July - so we are looking forward to that! :)

Thank you so much for posting your videos. I will have to pay attention next time and attend!

Archived