New to RCCL-Questions-Explorer-Dec.2

longduo

We have sailed a lot on other lines, but are doing our first cruise on RCCL on Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ on Dec. 2. Please answer a few questions and offer any tips you think would be helpful to RCCL newbies.

How many formal nights will there be on a 12 night cruise? Are they always on a specific night of the cruise? How formal is RCCL?

What is the dress for the dining room on other nights?

Has anyone done this route yet? I assume it will be cold the first 2 and last 2 days.....Is there a covered pool?

Does anyone have menus or can tell me where to find them?

We're excited about trying something new and different. We have sailed mainly on Princess and Oceania, but this will be the largest ship we have been on. Can't wait!

Longduo

We have sailed a lot on other lines, but are doing our first cruise on RCCL on Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ on Dec. 2. Please answer a few questions and offer any tips you think would be helpful to RCCL newbies. Welcome, Explorer was also my first RCCL and loved it.

How many formal nights will there be on a 12 night cruise? Are they always on a specific night of the cruise? How formal is RCCL? 2 Formal nights and usually the 2nd night and 2nd to last night. Rccl suggests tuxes or suit for men and gowns or cocktail dresses for woman but you will find a wide variety.

What is the dress for the dining room on other nights? It will be a couple of smart casual and the remainder casual. The smart casual is just a little dressier than casual with dockers and polos and maybe a sports jacket for the men and nice pants/tops for the women. Again lots of variety.

Has anyone done this route yet? I assume it will be cold the first 2 and last 2 days.....Is there a covered pool? There is a Solarium but it is not covered.

We're excited about trying something new and different. We have sailed mainly on Princess and Oceania, but this will be the largest ship we have been on. Can't wait! Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the ship.

i think this is a new itinerary, not sure though. dh and i will be sailing on this cruise too. i've never sailed out of a cold port, i'm sure it will be interesting........and cold. can't wait to get away, it will be here before you know it. i only wish i knew what the menus are going to be so i can make portofino reservations for the week.

maria

:confused: I'm getting so excited!!! Can we make reservations for Portofinos before we leave?

No, unless you are in a suite. Occasionally if you are booked in a suite, the Concierge will contact you in advance to make reservations for you but it does not always happen.

We have sailed a lot on other lines, but are doing our first cruise on RCCL on Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ on Dec. 2. Please answer a few questions and offer any tips you think would be helpful to RCCL newbies.

How many formal nights will there be on a 12 night cruise? Are they always on a specific night of the cruise? How formal is RCCL?

What is the dress for the dining room on other nights?

Has anyone done this route yet? I assume it will be cold the first 2 and last 2 days.....Is there a covered pool?

We're excited about trying something new and different. We have sailed mainly on Princess and Oceania, but this will be the largest ship we have been on. Can't wait!

Longduo

Longduo, there is a HUGE roll call for your cruise. I know that they will have the answers to all of your questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=342646

Thanks for the helpful replies so far.

How does tipping work on RCCL? Is there an amount automatically deducted or do we do cash in envelopes at the end especially since they have assigned seating in the dining room?

Are cappuchinos, expressos, etc. included in the dining room or is there an extra charge?

How do you get tickets for the ice show?

Longduo

Thanks for the helpful replies so far.

How does tipping work on RCCL? Is there an amount automatically deducted or do we do cash in envelopes at the end especially since they have assigned seating in the dining room?

Are cappuchinos, expressos, etc. included in the dining room or is there an extra charge?

How do you get tickets for the ice show?

Longduo

You can prepay them ahead time, you can have them added to your seapass (they will give you a form to fill out a couple of days into the cruise) or you can do cash

There will be a place to go pick up ice tickets, our sailing it was right outside of Studio B (ice rink)

Show up early for the ice show for the best seating. After the first couple shows the word spreads fast that this is a show not to be missed, and it gets a bit busy. Pre-show lighting is more than adequate in all show areas, so it's easy to read something for the 30 minutes or so 'til the show starts.

Explorer was our first cruise, ever. Completely hooked as a result.

Pools aren't covered, but the adults-only pool in the solarium is snuggled in behind the forward elevator centrums and is out of the wind for the most part. Besides, the adults-only hot tubs are mere steps from that same pool. On our last sea day the winds were steady at 55knots (60+mph). Impossible to stand upright on the jogging track but we had a lovely time in the hot tubs in the solarium.

You can't go wrong with Explorer...

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Archived