Private tours for Port Madryn

2travelers

HI: OK: So except for Englishmum, who gave Whales-Patagonia tours a thumbs up, is there anyone out there who can suggest any other private tours that might be available in this port. We are really up in the air between choosing a private tour going with NCL. It seems to be a very long day and I would rather be on my own with 4-6 people than have the entire day planned out for me.

So far, I haven't found much on these boards regarding private tours in Port Madryn. Some of the companies are way off the charts price wise - one company asked $255 pp -:eek: Yikes! Not much activity on these boards...but I will wait to hear your responses.

Thanks,

Ronnie

Ronnie,

Check out Huinca Travel at huincatravel.com for some great tours and prices.

Also, you may want to do a search on these boards under "Puerto Madryn." I think you'll find a lot of info using that spelling for the port.

I hope you find a great tour!:)

i read on trip advisor that there are many people at the dock in madryn selling a variety of tours.my wife and i are waiting till we get there to check-out the right whales and the elephant seals.if all else fails we will taxi to doradillo beach and look around.

Ronnie,

Check out Huinca Travel at huincatravel.com for some great tours and prices.

Also, you may want to do a search on these boards under "Puerto Madryn." I think you'll find a lot of info using that spelling for the port.

I hope you find a great tour!:)

Hi: I checked out hunicatravel.com and the board was in Spanish. I have been researching tours, booking airfares, getting hotels for a one-night precruise and getting guides to take us around Argentina - all while my DH watches football. Do I have to learn Spanish as well :rolleyes: . Did you encounter this problem - usually they give a chioce of language. this website didn't...am I not seeing something?

Ronnie

Ronnie--

I am so sorry! I forgot about that little detail about the website being in Spanish!! I only have a rudimentary understanding of the language, myself.

However, if you e-mail cecilia@huincatravel.com, she will reply to you in perfect English, and give you a very detailed description of the tours available.

When are you going? I'll be taking the Huinca tour to Punta Tombo on 6 Dec, and will be back home around 11 Dec. If you haven't left yet, I'll be glad to post a brief review of that tour when I get home.

Ronnie--

I am so sorry! I forgot about that little detail about the website being in Spanish!! I only have a rudimentary understanding of the language, myself.

However, if you e-mail cecilia@huincatravel.com, she will reply to you in perfect English, and give you a very detailed description of the tours available.

When are you going? I'll be taking the Huinca tour to Punta Tombo on 6 Dec, and will be back home around 11 Dec. If you haven't left yet, I'll be glad to post a brief review of that tour when I get home.

Hi Tenngal: Thank you. I think you may have posted that info somewhere else so I did e-mail them in English (that would be my native New York English!). I have not heard from them yet, however I did not e-mail Cecilia, just sent it ti info@. We are not leaving until Feb 29. Going to do a one day pre-cruise in Argentina and then board the ship on March 2. We don't hit Port Madryn until Mar 5, so any information you give will be most welcome. Just booked my pre-cruise hotel, so I am getting there! Thanks a bunch. Hope the weather is wonderful and you get to all your ports. Can't wait to hear about the trip.

Ronnie

Ronnie--

Cecilia is probably busy arranging tours, as the masses are about to descend there! I'm sure you'll hear from here asap. Below is a quote describing the tour I'll be on. (I'm pretty sure that this company offers tours to other areas around Puerto Madryn as well, like to Peninsula Valdes.)

Here is the tour description from Huinca:

Excursion to Punta Tombo on December 6th.

I send you here a description of the tour and the price of it:

- The excursion to Punta Tombo is a full day tour and we wait for you in the dock before the ship arrives, with your name and surname to make it easy for you to identify us.

- After the tour we bring you back to the dock one hour before the ship sets sail.

- These services are done in a Toyota Hilux 2006 with a guide-driver that speaks English and Spanish to assist you and give you all the information to enjoy the day, or in a Minivan for more people (Driver + Tour Guide)

- This tour takes 440 kms, visiting the greatest continental Reserve of Magellan's Penguin (arriving to this place before other buses), and we are going to be there the time you need to walk between penguins.

- In the afternoon if we have enough time, we can go to Gaiman (Welsh Colony) or to the Palentontological Museum of Trelew that we will find in our way back to Puerto Madryn.

- We characterize ourselves for our private services and for the support we give to our passengers:

a - The tour includes a guide-driver in English if you need it.

b - The vehicle already mentioned will take you to Punta Tombo within the time you need in the area.

c - It is not included the food.

d - It's not included the entrance to the Palontological Museum (USD 5 per person).

e - It's not included the entrance fee to the Reserve of Punta Tombo (USD 10 per person).

f - Price for 2 / 3 passengers: U$D 350.- (Total for the Group)

g - Price for 4 / 8 passengers: U$D 580.- (Total for the Group)

- If you wish to book the Tour to Punta Tombo you should send us the full name

of each person and the numbers of passports. Also we need a number of credit

card (It is a way to guarantee the service). We only ask this information to

book.

- The price of the tour has to be paid in cash when you arrive in Puerto

Madryn.

In case of bad weather, if the ship cannot come to the dock you don't have

to pay anything.

Regards, Cecilia

Huinca Travel

Avda Roca 353 - Loc 6

Puerto Madryn - Chubut

E-mail: cecilia@huincatravel.com

Ronnie--

Cecilia is probably busy arranging tours, as the masses are about to descend there! I'm sure you'll hear from here asap. Below is a quote describing the tour I'll be on. (I'm pretty sure that this company offers tours to other areas around Puerto Madryn as well, like to Peninsula Valdes.)

Here is the tour description from Huinca:

Excursion to Punta Tombo on December 6th.

I send you here a description of the tour and the price of it:

- The excursion to Punta Tombo is a full day tour and we wait for you in the dock before the ship arrives, with your name and surname to make it easy for you to identify us.

- After the tour we bring you back to the dock one hour before the ship sets sail.

- These services are done in a Toyota Hilux 2006 with a guide-driver that speaks English and Spanish to assist you and give you all the information to enjoy the day, or in a Minivan for more people (Driver + Tour Guide)

- This tour takes 440 kms, visiting the greatest continental Reserve of Magellan's Penguin (arriving to this place before other buses), and we are going to be there the time you need to walk between penguins.

- In the afternoon if we have enough time, we can go to Gaiman (Welsh Colony) or to the Palentontological Museum of Trelew that we will find in our way back to Puerto Madryn.

- We characterize ourselves for our private services and for the support we give to our passengers:

a - The tour includes a guide-driver in English if you need it.

b - The vehicle already mentioned will take you to Punta Tombo within the time you need in the area.

c - It is not included the food.

d - It's not included the entrance to the Palontological Museum (USD 5 per person).

e - It's not included the entrance fee to the Reserve of Punta Tombo (USD 10 per person).

f - Price for 2 / 3 passengers: U$D 350.- (Total for the Group)

g - Price for 4 / 8 passengers: U$D 580.- (Total for the Group)

- If you wish to book the Tour to Punta Tombo you should send us the full name

of each person and the numbers of passports. Also we need a number of credit

card (It is a way to guarantee the service). We only ask this information to

book.

- The price of the tour has to be paid in cash when you arrive in Puerto

Madryn.

In case of bad weather, if the ship cannot come to the dock you don't have

to pay anything.

Regards, Cecilia

Huinca Travel

Avda Roca 353 - Loc 6

Puerto Madryn - Chubut

E-mail: cecilia@huincatravel.com

Thanks, Tenngal: Cecilia did indeed respond with the same information as she sent you. I e-mailed her again using the address you gave. I am going to wait until you get back to hear what you thought of the tour.

Ronnie,

I'll look up this thread when I return, and let you know how it went.

I see you have/had a Russian Waterways tour on the MS Tolstoy. I'll be doing one next September. Did you go between Moscow and St. Petersburg? How was it??

Ronnie,

I'll look up this thread when I return, and let you know how it went.

I see you have/had a Russian Waterways tour on the MS Tolstoy. I'll be doing one next September. Did you go between Moscow and St. Petersburg? How was it??

Hi: Yes: We started in St. Petersburg and went through to Moscow. I did a small review on the River Cruises board when I came home. It is much different than cruising on a large ship. First let me tell you that there was one woman (you may have read her posts) who was absolutlely ranting about the horrible food. That was the first thing I addressed when I started my review. I think that it was just fine, and just about everyone we ate with thought the food was wonderful. So - don't worry about the food. The ship is small and the rooms are really, really small. They take your luggage after you unpack and store it, but my husband and I had no problems with closet space. The optional tours are very resonably priced and you can do all of them without breaking the bank. It is a low-keyed, educational, fun trip. I have no problem answering your questions if you want to e-mail me directly. I know this is not the board to do this on.

My e-mail is rwcaac@yahoo.com. Let me know if there is anything I can tell you. My CC friend is doing the Baltics next summer and I sent her all the prices for the optionals so that she doesn't get snookered when she gets a private tour guide for St. P-burg. Enjoy your December cruise...we are starting to count down the days....

Ronnie

Hi, Ronnie...

I just read your great review of your Russia river cruise, and the related comments on that thread. It was very informative. I don't care much about what food is served, as long as its edible. Heck, I could live on cheese, crackers and water for a week, if I had to. I'm not going to Russia for the cuisine; I'm going for the history and culture of it. I've already done a lot of research about my upcoming river cruise, and will do a lot more between now and when I go.

Right now, only 2 weeks until I leave for South America! I've never been there, either, and am really excited about this cruise!

Hi: If you are looking for culture and history of Russia then this is a trip for you. They have a professor from Moscow University giving daily lectures on all aspects of Russian life - from history to woman's issues. We were there five years ago and it has really changed. As I said, it was informative, low-keyed and really relaxing. The fact that I did not have to get any tours together and that everything was done for us was really a bonus. The weather will be cold in September, so you need to dress accordingly - I didn't, and had to buy a sweater. Not a big deal, but when we were there at the same time years ago it was shorts and tank tops - not 50-degrees with wind and rain. My husband wanted to do this trip (to SA) and while I haven't done much research on the culture and history I have done a ton of research trying to get these tours together. I am always stressed before these trips trying to make things as easy as possible because of his problems with getting around. This is a lesson to all of you reading this post - enjoy everyday and travel if you can - you never know what life is going to hand you. My husband and I climbed the great Wall of China three years ago - now he can't go two blocks without the aid of a walker...so enjoy life :D. Back to making plans for Buenos Aires...counting down the days to NCL and South America and dipping chocolates!

• 4 weeks later...

2travelers- I think we may be on the same cruise in March...March 2, NCL Dream? We (my daughter and I) would be very interested in sharing a tour to Punto Tombo with you, pending the report from Tenngal. If that is a possibility, just let me know. Thanks!

Springs Gal: You may want to check in on the Roll Call for the March 2 sailing. If I remember correctly, you'll be the fourth one to check in.

Ronnie: Don't you understand that some three hour football games are more important than a fourteen day cruise? If the Superbowl was in March, your hubby and I would probably not take the chance of missing it and you and my wife would have to share a cabin. (It's in February.)

Springs Gal: You may want to check in on the Roll Call for the March 2 sailing. If I remember correctly, you'll be the fourth one to check in.

Ronnie: Don't you understand that some three hour football games are more important than a fourteen day cruise? If the Superbowl was in March, your hubby and I would probably not take the chance of missing it and you and my wife would have to share a cabin. (It's in February.)

Hi: So far there are not too many folks signed on for this cruise. Thrifty is correct, you are the forth. So far we have decided to stay with the ship for Punta Tomba....seems that might be the best thing to do. I have not been checking the boards for the past few days...been very busy with work and my daughter got engaged - so we are busy faxing and e-mailing info about a wedding. I told her as long as it didn't interfere with my travel plans anything she does is OK with me...what is more important - a cruise or a wedding :D?Thrify: As far a football season goes - I am still alive in week 14 and my husband disagreed with all of my picks (of course I had an NCL advisor, but she is a woman as well addding insult to injury). I keep saying that I need that NCL money - he keeps correcting me saying it is NFL - I say any money I win with NFL goes to NCL anyway, so who really cares!!

2travelers (and anyone else interested):

I just got home yesterday, and had a great time!

Huinca was definitely a good tour company to use. They were even flexible enough to allow most of us to switch our destination from Punta Tombo to Peninsula Valdes. (Several of us felt "penguined out" by the time we reached Puerto Madryn, so we asked to go to see the elephant seals at Peninsula Valdes instead. I now wish I'd have still gone to Punta Tombo, though. The elephant seals were too far away to really see well, and those who went on the original tour to Punta Tombo came back raving about it!) The tour guide in the car I rode in was an English professor, and provided a very informative commentary on the area. The guide in the car to Punta Tombo was a naturalist.

I completely recommend using Huinca, and I also recommend going to Punta Tombo--even if you think you've already see enough penguins. (When will you ever see them again??)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too have sent emails in spanish to some of these companies, in hopes that this is why I wasn't getting a response. But I don't speak spanish so was using Babelfish to translate. It worked well for hotels on both ends of the cruise, but for tours, even if you get a reply back in spanish, if you don't understand the language, it may make the tour harder to know what is going on. :)

Cathy

we were in puerto madryn dec15th.with infinity.there were loads of folks on the dock selling tours to either punta tombo or peninsular valdez.we took the peninsular valdez,but now we wish we had taken the punta tombo tour.incidentally the valdez tour also included small groups of penguins,but i still regret not doing the tombo,particularly as the right whales had left two weeks previously.

I cruised on the Infinity last February and booked a tour from Porto Madryn to Porto Tombo with Whales Patagonia. They were excellent. I do not understand why they have such a bad press on cruise critic. I think you are being very unfair to them. They met us at the Portside, we had wait for a group of Americans who did not turn up and did not have the coutesy to cancel their excursion in advance. we had a driver and a lovely guide. There were only 4 of us in the mini bus. We paid per person and they did not increase the amount they charged us even though we were quoted for a larger group in mind. The trip as lovely. Whales patagonia were helpful, informative,polite and pleasant.The penguins and indeed our guide were delightful. It seems a shame that a forum like this can give a bad name so undeservidly to a tour operator.

We're going on the Infinity in Feb. and we're considering using Whales Patagonia. Your post is very helpful and reassuring. What was their mini bus like? Was it airconditioned and clean. Was the guide's English good? Any info you can give us would be most appreciated.

I cruised on the Infinity last February and booked a tour from Porto Madryn to Porto Tombo with Whales Patagonia. They were excellent. I do not understand why they have such a bad press on cruise critic. I think you are being very unfair to them. They met us at the Portside, we had wait for a group of Americans who did not turn up and did not have the coutesy to cancel their excursion in advance. we had a driver and a lovely guide. There were only 4 of us in the mini bus. We paid per person and they did not increase the amount they charged us even though we were quoted for a larger group in mind. The trip as lovely. Whales patagonia were helpful, informative,polite and pleasant.The penguins and indeed our guide were delightful. It seems a shame that a forum like this can give a bad name so undeservidly to a tour operator.

The mini bus was very comfortable and the guide chatted to us. She even gave us some of the special Argentinian tea to try. It is over a 2 hour ride to Porto Tombo

and much of the scenery is very bland. However, once you get there it is so well worth the trip. It was far better than the penguins we saw in Punto Arenas at Otway. The site of a million penguins is truely awesome and they are such cute friendly little creatures. They are so tame that they come up to you. Hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you. Thats very reassuring.

The mini bus was very comfortable and the guide chatted to us. She even gave us some of the special Argentinian tea to try. It is over a 2 hour ride to Porto Tombo

and much of the scenery is very bland. However, once you get there it is so well worth the trip. It was far better than the penguins we saw in Punto Arenas at Otway. The site of a million penguins is truely awesome and they are such cute friendly little creatures. They are so tame that they come up to you. Hope this is helpful to you.

Archived