Excursions in Skagway & Juneau

sglenc

We've pre-reserved some excursions (Coral Princess 8/14/04 sailing) but are overwhelmed by too many choices. We are 60 yo's who like to walk & sight see. Not looking for anything too strenuous and not wanting to fly around on helicopters. Float planes would be OK. In Skagway we're on a waitlist for the Alaska Sled Dog & Musher Camp (wheeled sleds). Also in Skagway we've pre-reserved "Klondike Summit & Liarsville Experience" (read somewhere that this was too touristy) and the Skagway's Original Street Car (old yellow bus). In Juneau we've pre-reserved the Rain Forest Garden Adventure and plan on taking a shuttle bus to Mendenhall Glacier & hike a bit. Any feedback on these choices will be appreciated; as well as recommendations on alternatives.

Thanks

Would you consider independent?? There may be more options for you. The vintage Skagway street car is a good choice if not only for the car it self. icon_smile.gif I actually liked it. icon_smile.gif You will get some opposite relys. icon_smile.gif Be sure to head to the National Park Visitor center- http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm I thought the Glacier Gardens in Juneau very nice and enjoyable. You might also want to consider a ranger activity at Mendenhall?? http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/index.html

SCLENC, It sounds like you made good choices to me. At Skagway, I enjoyed Liarsville very much. Sure its campy/cheezy/touristy, but that was part of its charm.Also i did a self paced walking tour of Skagway. As for Juneau? Mendenhall Glacier was well worth the time, and by all means walk down to the glacial lake and the water falls. I for one, didn't care for the visitor's center and kept walking even closer to the glacier. Also, the tram up Mt. Roberts was worth the money due to the outstanding views up there.

I'm going to have to disagree with Thoth on this one. We thought Liarsville was very very touristy and cheesy and not worth your time. Only one of the characters actually stayed in character the whole time that we were there. Probably the most defining moment of Liarsville is that you "pan" for gold there...gold that never has existed in Skagway. They make a big joke about importing it from Canada, but why do something that is completely false? Anyway, we would have rather done something more authentic.

Jen

1st Cruise on Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 6/4/2004

Archived