Pay in US $$

Travelbug 2

Attention all Canadian cruisers.

As a result of my now being able to compare my 2 booked cruises for next year I have found out that HAL is charging a 14 percent exchange rate on a Mexico cruise = $498 and on our Med' cruise in Sept' they are charging a disgusting 18 percent!! = $935. So, for the 2 cruises I am being charged a total of $1433 over the US prices. :eek: Today our Canadian dollar hit $1.07. I thought we were being taken to the cleaners, now I am sure of it!!

I will be speaking to my TA next week to see what we can do about this. Payment in US $ is definitely the way to go for Canadians booking a cruise just now. Unfortunately my deposits were paid long ago when this was not much of an issue, however I still have final payments to make but I do not know if I can pay that in US $. That will be one of the questions for my TA.

I hope someone in the HAL organisation reads this forum, Wake up HAL we do not like being taken advantage of in this way.

You definitely can switch the payment to US dollars. My parents did this, then transferred the payment money into a US bank account. They actually rebooked the entire cruise into US dollars at their TA's suggestion and saved money on the initial payment as well.

Attention all Canadian cruisers.

As a result of my now being able to compare my 2 booked cruises for next year I have found out that HAL is charging a 14 percent exchange rate on a Mexico cruise = $498 and on our Med' cruise in Sept' they are charging a disgusting 18 percent!! = $935. So, for the 2 cruises I am being charged a total of $1433 over the US prices. :eek: Today our Canadian dollar hit $1.07. I thought we were being taken to the cleaners, now I am sure of it!!

I will be speaking to my TA next week to see what we can do about this. Payment in US $ is definitely the way to go for Canadians booking a cruise just now. Unfortunately my deposits were paid long ago when this was not much of an issue, however I still have final payments to make but I do not know if I can pay that in US $. That will be one of the questions for my TA.

I hope someone in the HAL organisation reads this forum, Wake up HAL we do not like being taken advantage of in this way.

I'm wondering if someone at HAL reads this because a while ago they changed their website so they could sort of keep you from seeing the US prices. The smart people on this board found a way around that by deleting cookies.

I am wondering if you used HAL airfare. I have been told that they will not be able to charge you in US if you come from a Canadian gateway. HAL is hosing us Canadians big time!

We paid our cruise in U.S. dollars last year as we are on the World Cruise and we saved a bundle of money - the final payment was due in May 2007 and we paid it in US dollars as well saved more money. Yes the USA sure rips off the Canadians no matter which way they do it they get us all the time. We have to be one step ahead of them - open a US account now well our dollar is so high (it is almost 1.09 tonight) and then pay all your travel in U.S. dollars from that account all the time - avoid your credit card just write a cheque on the U.S. account - you will save a bundle for a long time so it looks. Enjoy your cruises...

We paid our cruise in U.S. dollars last year as we are on the World Cruise and we saved a bundle of money - the final payment was due in May 2007 and we paid it in US dollars as well saved more money. Yes the USA sure rips off the Canadians no matter which way they do it they get us all the time. We have to be one step ahead of them - open a US account now well our dollar is so high (it is almost 1.09 tonight) and then pay all your travel in U.S. dollars from that account all the time - avoid your credit card just write a cheque on the U.S. account - you will save a bundle for a long time so it looks. Enjoy your cruises...

Yes the C$ just keeps on rolling along and while this situation prevails I will certainly be using my US account to pay for cruises, we will not get the aeroplan travel miles via the CC but hey, who cares if big $$$ can be saved.:)

Another option is to get a US dollar credit card (not a US credit card from a US bank, but a US currency credit card from a Canadian bank).

We have one through BMO (Mosaik MasterCard) and use it all the time for these very situations!

My cousin and his wife who live in France are going with us on the Century next year. Because of the strength of the Euro vs the US $ he saved a bundle on the cost by paying in US $s. He comes to the US to buy used luxury cars and Antiques and pays in dollars and even with shipping back to France he saves money. He has a US currency credit card that he uses to make most of his purchases in the US, I think it is from Citi Bank

Archived