laptop to display photos

ciara

I know this is a bit off topic but I want to buy a new laptop to store and display photos on (mainly) so would like some advice as to what to look for.

I was thinking things like a glossy screen, memory capability etc - all advice would be welcome.

I quite keen to buy a good one so money not really an issue

Thanks in advance

I know this is a bit off topic but I want to buy a new laptop to store and display photos on (mainly) so would like some advice as to what to look for.

I was thinking things like a glossy screen, memory capability etc - all advice would be welcome.

I quite keen to buy a good one so money not really an issue

Thanks in advance

The finish (gloss) of the screen is less important than overall resolution. Also be aware that a glossy screen can look good in some conditions, but reflections in a bright environment can be distracting. Get the highest resolution available (Dell 17" laptops are available in both 1440x900 and 1920x1200 resolutions). It can make the icons tiny, but the photo display is awesome. Remember, even a 6MB image is 3000x2000.

Size is up to you but if you plan on carrying it with you on trips, a 17" screen, while impressive, adds a lot of weight compared to a 15" screen.

1GB of ram is minimum for a modern laptop, Mac or Windows. If you plan on just storing and displaying, 1GB should be ok. If you plan on editing photos, I would run a 2GB.

Largest HD available (min of 100gb to store photos). It's surprising how fast they add up. You can add external drives to a laptop, but it's one more thing to carry.

S-Video, DVI or HDMI connections are good for attaching to a big-screen TV for slide shows.

Extra battery!

My 2¢...

Dave

I would not get a high gloss. As often the reflections are normally a issue.

I would get high resolution that you can afford. Then larger hard disk is

going be the best. As your pictures will add up. Then last I would look

and DVD with RW. When I go on a cruise I take my personal laptop and

back them up to DVD. This is for 2 reason. One if you should have a hardware

failure. Then 2nd if it should be stollen. Just make sure your DVD are kept in

your safe.

Size is up to you but if you plan on carrying it with you on trips, a 17" screen, while impressive, adds a lot of weight compared to a 15" screen.

If you want something light to look at your pictures and not do any significant editing, a lot of vendors make a 13" model that weighs om;y about 4 lbs w/o batttery. IMHO, as a travel computer, small and light is most important.

Both Sony & Toshiba make good models.

DON

Don't get one. I have a 17" Hp. If there is any sun light you will have a hard time looking at the screen. But look for a 17" with lots of hard drive space. For if you are shooting at high resolution you can eat up space real quick. And I would also suggest 2 megs of ram no less.

I have a Toshiba Portege which weighs practically nothing - I think the electric cord weighs about the same amount! It has an external CD or DVD drive which you purchase separately and it's the absence of an internal drive that makes it so light.

To be honest I haven't used the DVD drive (I got it to watch movies on flights).....I just use my USB key. Anyway it's perfect for taking on holiday....I just slip it into a backpack and it's so light I hardly feel it! Last trip we didn't take it and I really regretted not being able to edit photos each day.

Archived