Flying in day of cruise ?

loops

I will confess that I do fly in the morning of some cruises. I have been burned once and it cost me $1700 to fly to Cancun, hotel room, taxi and ferry to get to Cozumel. I was burned because I missed our connecting flight d/t fog! If I have a connecting flight I will fly down the night before. If I have a non-stop flight that gets in before 11a I will fly down in the morning.

Because of the advice I read on this message board, our honeymoon cruise was great, but it could have been bad. Our initial plan was to fly into Orlando the day of our cruise, but after reading here, we decided to fly in the day before. After checking flight prices, I found that if we flew in two days before, we would save money and would get to relax before the cruise. I am really glad we ended up doing that because we ended up missing our flight because of traffic. We were able to rebook on a later flight and landed in Orlando with only a minor delay. However, there was some mix-up with our luggage and it apparently took a trip of its own.

We ended up getting our luggage late afternoon, the day before the cruise. We were told that when we missed our flight and were put on a different flight with a connection, that our luggage never made it off the plane.

In an unrelated cruise flight, I ended up spending 12 hours in the Chicago airport because of flight issues. First, there was an issue with our plane that they tried to fix. Once they decided to ground the plane, we had to wait for another plane to fly in from Boston. However, there was a massive storm in that area, so we had to wait longer.

Both of these flights were in the summer months, so I would never risk flying in the day of a cruise during the winter months. Too much risk.

yeah...ditto on arriving a day before. my aunt and uncle, on their first DCL cruise I believe, flew in the day of. the flight was delayed, the airlines lost their luggage and and they were so late that DCL was (very generously) holding the ship for them to arrive...I think the ship was practically moving when they jumped in the crew door, lol. they ended up not getting their luggage until I think St. Maarten? (it was flown in or something), and especially on the eastern, you have no options for clothes except for the stores on the ship (and they don't sell underwear eek.gif) for 2 days. Needless to say, we arrive the day before from now on.

so yeah...you could be fine, but there are far too many things that could and do go wrong. I'm guessing you've already decided to book an earlier flight, but I'm just adding my 2 cents :)

The Disney ships leave early too. On other cruises I have taken, the ship leaves at 11PM or late in the evening. So, taking a morning flight seems a reasonable option. But, this time I didn't even consider it; not due to missing the ship as I didn't even realize how early the DCL ships left port, but in order to relax the day before. Since I am flying down with kids by myself (mom is meeting me in FL) doing it all on my own will be nice to have the day before. However, we are staying on Disney property and going to the parks. So much for resting. LOL

Tricia

Archived