First time cruising...not too happy about the idea

mcamp

My wife's relatives wants us to go on a cruise as kind of a family reunion thing.

They are planning to go on the Inspiration (Carnival) for the five day cruise out of Tampa (December 2008)....my wife wants to go, and I'm not too happy about the idea.

To be honest, I have no desire to go on a cruise.

Myself, I enjoy going somewhere and exploring. Spending a day or less at a port doesn't seem to adventurous.

As far as value is concerned, it also seems over priced compared to staying at an AI resort in the Caribbean...am I wrong here...being that alchohol is not included.

Well, I'm going to do my best to talk my wife out of this, unless someone here can give me some good reason why cruises are so great.

I was the same way. I thought I would feel trapped and there would be nothing to do on a ship. I travel for my job, and I spend a lot of nights in hotels. I had gotten tired of hotels, so we decided to try a cruise. We did a 4 day first (Key West and Calica). We were hooked as soon as we walked onto the ship, and it just got better from there.

I think the prices are close to what you would pay for an AI somewhere. All depends on how much you drink I'm sure.

Have you ever been to an AI - where if you don't keep tipping they don't keep the AI coming? Drinks included. I spent way too much at my AI - when all is said and done.

There are lots of things to do that are adventurous in the Caribbean, do a zip line - swim with stingwrays - book a shark and snuba dive.

But it is a different vacation. Lots of people will give you ideas. If you are adventurous - go for your wife and open your mind - it's an adventure to just try new things! :D

My wife's relatives wants us to go on a cruise as kind of a family reunion thing.

They are planning to go on the Inspiration (Carnival) for the five day cruise out of Tampa (December 2008)....my wife wants to go, and I'm not too happy about the idea.

Myself, I enjoy going somewhere and exploring. Spending a day or less at a port doesn't seem to adventurous.

As far as value is concerned, it also seems over priced compared to staying at an AI resort in the Caribbean...am I wrong here...being that alchohol is not included.

Well, I'm going to do my best to talk my wife out of this, unless someone here can give me some good reason why cruises are so great.

Sounds like you don't like family reunions!:D Also spending your time at an "AI" resort doesn't sound too adventurous either. Your also trying to compare apples and oranges. I think if you go, you'll be hooked and you'll leave the relatives at home for your next cruise.....:cool:

I was the same way. I thought I would feel trapped and there would be nothing to do on a ship. I travel for my job, and I spend a lot of nights in hotels. I had gotten tired of hotels, so we decided to try a cruise. We did a 4 day first (Key West and Calica). We were hooked as soon as we walked onto the ship, and it just got better from there.

I think the prices are close to what you would pay for an AI somewhere. All depends on how much you drink I'm sure.

Transport - I love that cruise! We went in April and I'm going again next april with a group on the 17th! I loved Xcaret!

Just go and consider it one of those things you do because you love your wife (my DH walks on the beach with me and I go to the drag races with him) -

If you love crusing after this, WOOOOHOOOOO! If not, then you'll know and you don't have to do it again.

I am a total cruise addict (any ship, anywhere), but my husband -- not so much. He really likes the fact that we are at a different location every day. He would get bored being at an AI for a week. You can't see eveything at a port in one day.... but you can select something fun for you... and then go back for more if you want.

One thing regarding family cruises (which we've done).... don't plan or expect to be with everyone all the time. Plan to meet up at dinner as a definite. Too much togetherness is not so good either...

Go with a good attitude and an open mind. You never know, you might like it.

they give you plenty of time in each port to do some really good exploring... you can go to the carnival website and check out the LONG list of excursions that you can go on for each port...

here's the Grand Cayman, Cayman island list... (you've got 7 hours there)

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionsSearchResults.aspx?portname=Grand+Cayman%2c+Cayman+Islands&portcode=CAY&region=CW

and here's the Cozumel, Mexico list... (you've got 9 hours there)

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionsSearchResults.aspx?portname=Cozumel%2c+Mexico&portcode=CZM&region=CW

as you can see you have LOTS of adventurous things to choose from... I truly think that you'll enjoy yourself, if you just give it a chance.

Now, if you are the type of person (like my daughter) who will decide IN ADVANCE that they aren't going to like something and then do everything in your power to ensure that you don't enjoy yourself... then I can't help you there!

mcamp, I'm in a similar situation: I stayed at an AI resort in Cancun this past spring and loved it (tips were included in the AI...it was AWESOME!) I'll be on my first cruise this summer due to a family reunion-type event, and was initially hesitant (for exactly the same reasons!) Not sure I'll prefer cruises over AIs, but I think the key is to focus on the unique aspects of the cruise, enjoy time with family (hope that's the case!), and try to find a few things that would be interesting/entertaining. My wife and I scuba, so even if we're not thrilled with such short stops in ports, we can at least use the cruise as an excuse to dive a bit more. And sometimes, there's nothing like being really lazy by a pool or having a good meal; enjoy them when they come!

I will miss the included alcohol, however. Going from 6,000 ft to sea level means big bar tabs. :(

This probably didn't help much, but there are people with the same concerns as yourself. :cool:

It is worth giving it a try! We have our third big family/friends cruise coming up in March 2008. We love having the option to all do different things every day or the same thing, and the only thing we all agree on is that dinner together is the highlight of the day. There will be 22 this trip (family and friends) so we will be seated at several tables for dinner. We try to rotate each night and sit next to someone different. Dinner is a great time for us to reconnect with family since we do not all live in the same city. I have not been on the Inspiration, but on most ships you can go all day and see no one you know if you want time alone!

You sound like me. I like to see everything & do exciting things. I'm not a sit at the pool & do nothing type of gal. My 1st cruise is coming up in March & I've planned excursions (some ship-booked & some not) that are exciting in my opinion - zipline, Lamanai boat ride & ruins tour, renting a car in Cozumel & going on our own adventure, etc. That way I'll get a taste of all of the places we stop. I may end up hating the cruise & wishing I'd done something more exciting, but I don't think that will be the case.

I say go, check it out, & if you hate it, don't go on any more.

Myself, I enjoy going somewhere and exploring.

mc, why don't you go online and check out what activities are available for the ports you are going to. As has been mentioned, there are various levels of excursions available and you would have your pick.

Don't see anything from the ship, go online to the port and look for an excursion company and see what they have to offer.

Just keep in mind if you schedule something away from ship sponsored excursions you need to be back onboard on time.

If some of your ports are places you haven't been, spending a day there will give you an idea as to whether you would like to vacation there longer. If you don't like it, you can cross it off your list of places to visit.

On the ship: there is always something going on. You can be as busy or as laid back as you wish.

As far as a reason to take a cruise......... because your wife would like to go. I know vacation time is important and you wouldn't want to waste it on something you don't think you'd like but it is only 5 days. Try to keep an open mind about it. While cruising isn't for everyone, I do think if you have an opportunity to experience something new/different you should give it a try. You may even like it if you think of it as a different way of exploring.

Extend the time, go to your port city a day or 2 ahead, stay a day or 2 after (unless, of course, you live near your port city.)

Cruising is not for everyone. If you have never gone I would go just once to see for myself. My brother-in-law went once and would never go again.

We went on our first cruise almost 25 years ago. It was fun, but for some reason I "discovered" AI's, and we went to them for the next 15 or so years - at least 1-2x a year. After one of our AI's in Mexico was blown away right before our Xmas vacation, we booked last minute on the Liberty Xmas cruise. Well - no more AI's for us. Now my family finds them "boring", and refuses to go back to one. They love cruising - more so as they get older. (are both in their teens now) They love being in new ports every day or two. They make more friends on board than they ever did at any AI. (and still keep in touch with them) They are more active on the cruise ship than they ever were at an AI. And with all the excursion choices, you can be as active or lazy as you want. They were young when they went on Disney Cruises - they don't want to go back on Disney. They don't even want to try another cruise line, as they love Carnival so much. Try it - you may discover (expecially with a shorter cruise) how much you like it. Or, you may hate it, and will go back to AI's. Either way, make time for yourselves - too much forced family time can kill any vacation if it is not quality time!

Hi, I love boats and water, but had no desire to take a cruise. My wife managed to keep our first cruise a "surprise" on the Celebrity's Millenium. Well it was the best thing she could have done for our family. Cruising is great value, especially if you book the kids in with you, the third and fourth rates bring the price down even farther. As far as adventurous, you have so many options with cruising, fun for everyone. The kids usually have a great time at "cruiseship school", as our little one calls it, the teen has a great time meeting the other kids and have remained friends with exchanging e-mail addresses, and adults have fantastic activities to participate in. The best thing is that it is your choice, do as much or as little as you like. As for adventure, each port can be exciting and mysterious, look at the excursions listed on board, and definitely talk to the crew about what they like to do in each port. The youth activity crew and the cruise director and their staff, are almost always english speaking, North American, and are more then willing to supply information about each port, the do's and don'ts, the "safer" areas and the areas where to use more caution. We have been on more than 40 cruises now and the kids always come, and we always have a great time. :)Try it, I can't imagine you would have a bad time, go with an open mind and participate as much as possible, there are always some nice people to meet!!

Also spending your time at an "AI" resort doesn't sound too adventurous either. Your also trying to compare apples and oranges. I think if you go, you'll be hooked and you'll leave the relatives at home for your next cruise.....:cool:

Let me restate that....obviously, going on excursions can be adventurous, but having limited time at a destination is not....cram as much stuff into limited time is not my cup of tea.

I can only imagine vendors licking their chops as the ships dock...shopping is not a destination I choose when traveling.

Regarding the time when you reach port...Grand Cayman 7:00 AM....so if you want to make the most of your day there you have to set an alarm clock?

...and regarding the experience...if I go I'll be hooked....the same was said to me about attending a Bruce Springsteen concert....I didn't enjoy it.

Bottom line for me: this trip (5 nights) would cost almost as much as a week in Curacao that I will be going to in two weeks, EVERYTHING included.

Mcamp - YOu are kidding me right? You want to talk your wife out of a cruise? It's "adventurous" to try new things, so give it a try, if for no other reason than to do it for your wife!:)

I can't say anything bad about AI's, we love them too! But you can't beat the romance of being at sea!;)

KT

Mcamp - YOu are kidding me right? You want to talk your wife out of a cruise? It's "adventurous" to try new things, so give it a try, if for no other reason than to do it for your wife!:)

I can't say anything bad about AI's, we love them too! But you can't beat the romance of being at sea!;)

KT

Romance...we will be traveling with our two kids...11 and 8 at the time of travel.

Let me restate that....obviously, going on excursions can be adventurous, but having limited time at a destination is not....cram as much stuff into limited time is not my cup of tea.

I can only imagine vendors licking their chops as the ships dock...shopping is not a destination I choose when traveling.

Regarding the time when you reach port...Grand Cayman 7:00 AM....so if you want to make the most of your day there you have to set an alarm clock?

...and regarding the experience...if I go I'll be hooked....the same was said to me about attending a Bruce Springsteen concert....I didn't enjoy it.

Bottom line for me: this trip (5 nights) would cost almost as much as a week in Curacao that I will be going to in two weeks, EVERYTHING included.

Yep, has to be your cup of tea. Since I travel so much I am bored by the thought of sitting at a hotel for a week. On the ship I get lost sitting on deck watching the world go by always searching for those silver flying fish. Standing at the deli station on the Fantasy class ships, and watching as the wake stretches for miles, as I wait for my turkey sandwhich. Waking up in a different country when the ship pulls into another port. Standing by the railing, peering into the dark after dinner and drinks enjoying the sounds of the wake. I could go on and on. I get lost easy on a cruise.

Archived