Sovereign of The Seas

ytrap2007

Hello Cruisers,

This Christmas, I am surprising my DH with a cruise on TSOTS. Together, we have been on Carnival Miracle, and Inspiration. I found TSOTS very inexpensive and we live only 90 minutes from the port. My concerns are:

1. Are the beds comfortable?
  2. We are both large, can you get chairs in the dining room without sides?
  3. Is it true that there are unpleasant smells onboard?
  4. What is there to do in Nassau? Any suggestions?
  5. Is there an advantage to book with an agency, or just the cruise line?

I appreciate your insights.

Rebecca

1985 Big Red Boat

1986 Veracruz

1987 The Carnival

2005 CCL Inspiration

2006 CCL Miracle

2008 RC Sovereign of The Seas

I didnt like the bolsters on the sides of the beds if the beds were separated. You may be ok since Im assuming the beds will be pushed together.

I got a laugh from the lady I sat with at dinner talking about getting out of the bed when her side was pushed up against the wall. The cabins are small so you wouldnt have lots of room, but it should be ok. Id recommend a OV, not a inside (dont know what you booked).

The advantage of a agency is OBC, but for such a cheapie cruise you wouldnt get much if any OBC, so either would be ok for this cruise imo.

I was on Sovereign in September and did not notice any wierd smells. I found the beds to be VERY comfortable. As far as Nassau, that depends on what you like to do. Seeing Atlantis is a must, if you have not already done so. Also, if you like the beach, I would recommend taking the number 10 bus to cable beach. You can pay 15 bucks a person to use the Wyndam resorts pool and beach area. They provide chairs and towels and the beach is really nice. You could check out the straw market, which is in walking distance of the pier. No matter what you do, I'm sure you will have a great time!

One of the things I like to do in Nassau is go to the Library. I know that sounds odd, but you must see it. The Library is in an old jail house, built I think in 1850's. It is amazing. It is located right in Parliamant square, about 2 blocks from the ship port. Ask anyone and they will direct you there. There is a beautiful monument in the square, too, dedicated to fallen heroes of different wars/conflicts. If I knew how to attach photos, I would put them here.

I have been on Sovereign 3 times this fall and going again next week. I like her, and the crew is great. Unfortunately, Sovereign will be gone late next year.

I can't tell you if there are armless chairs in the Dining room. I have never seen them, but that doesn not mean they are not available.

Booking thru an agency can be good if you have to combine airfare and cruise. Since you are local, just call Royal and get the best deal. Like firefly says, the Onboard Credits may be available, too.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Hello Cruisers,

This Christmas, I am surprising my DH with a cruise on TSOTS. Together, we have been on Carnival Miracle, and Inspiration. I found TSOTS very inexpensive and we live only 90 minutes from the port. My concerns are:

1. Are the beds comfortable?

The beds are incredibly comfortable but there is not a lot of room around them, especially considering the bolster (you can see pictures on our cruise page, in my signature)

1. We are both large, can you get chairs in the dining room without sides?

I believe I saw these. There are all sorts of bodies on a cruise and they will do their best to accommodate. I have never seen anyone struggle with the chairs, which are quite ample.

1. Is it true that there are unpleasant smells onboard?

We smell sour air in the halls occasionally. My guess is that the bathroom smells go through charcoal filters into the hall. If you'll allow me to be a little coarse, it's no worse than if someone walked down the hall a few minutes before you and farted. It's not pervasive and is not everywhere.

1. What is there to do in Nassau? Any suggestions?

We went to Atlantis and looked at their Aquarium. It was very beautiful and we were not asked to pay, although I think typically you do. The shopping is ok in Nassau and there are the usual Senor Frogs type bars.

1. Is there an advantage to book with an agency, or just the cruise line?

Some agencies will give onboard credit or the like. We would book online unless an agent was willing to give a small benefit.

My answers are above. Also, if you look at our cruise page in my signature, we have the cruise compasses and pictures of the ship.

If you like to party and/or drink, the yellow bird party cruise was a blast. They do pack a lot of people on the boat, but they take you to an island about an hour away and then the party really starts with some dancing on the way back.

Keep in mind that EVERYTHING closes early in Nassau. We went on the party cruise and then took a nap expecting to get back up and go out on the town only to find that most everything was closed. If I remember correctly, the Hard Rock Cafe was closed at like 8 or 9.

There are quite a bit of shops as well. You can also get a cab for pretty cheap to take you wherever. They can give some pretty good tips, too. Just remember to secure a cab for the way back, because once again everything does close early.

Archived