eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww

We typically pay a good penny to stay in a more upscale hotel (not that these things don't happen at upscale hotels, though) and I try to find places that are either brand new, fairly new of recently renovated.

Actually CondeNast Traveler Magazine did a story about this about 5 months ago. They brought in a team of scientists to check rooms for cleanliness based on the price they paid for the rooms. They did actually find a corelation to the amount of germs in the room in relation to the price they paid for the room.

The least amount of germs they found was at a Mandarin Oriental (which was funny cause we happen to be staying there only a few weeks later after I read the article).

In the article they said there are "Hepa rooms" at the Mandarin Oriental that are designed for people with severe allergies or health issues in mind. ;) But when you are staying at the Mandarin Oriental, prices start at $700/night. So it BETTER be clean for that price. lol

If I can find the article I will link it here. It was pretty interesting.

Edited to say - found it. Here's the article about the different hotel rooms

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/detail?articleId=10623

I hope this makes some of you feel a little better...at least about traveling on RCCL ships. ;) On my last cruise (on the Serenade), we were just a few rooms down from the 'dishwasher room'. Several times I passed by, and saw a room steward loading or unloading glasses from a very large commercial dishwasher.

We are in our post-cruise hotel and I was not pleased to discover the glass in the bathroom- - it appeared to have been "cleaned" by the method shown in the news videos.

Oh you can't leave us hanging like that! You have to name names...lol. Which hotel are you in? If you aren't comfortable posting it now, then at least come back here when you are safely at home and let us know. ;)

Well, I do like and generally trust the chain, but I'm at the Candlewood Suites in Miami. It's pretty evident from the swirl marks on the inside of the glass that it was cleaned that way... just to check I ran everything in the room through the dishwasher and the glass was clean- no swirl marks like it had when I got to the room. Major ick.

Well, I do like and generally trust the chain, but I'm at the Candlewood Suites in Miami. It's pretty evident from the swirl marks on the inside of the glass that it was cleaned that way... just to check I ran everything in the room through the dishwasher and the glass was clean- no swirl marks like it had when I got to the room. Major ick.

Thanks for sharing the name. And you're right, ICK! :eek:

The least amount of germs they found was at a Mandarin Oriental (which was funny cause we happen to be staying there only a few weeks later after I read the article). http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/detail?articleId=10623[/url]

We always stay at the M.O. pre-cruise so that makes me feel a *little* better. We will be there in a couple of weeks. However, I still am not going to use the glasses, ice bucket, etc... I am so grossed out.

We always stay at the M.O. pre-cruise so that makes me feel a *little* better. We will be there in a couple of weeks. However, I still am not going to use the glasses, ice bucket, etc... I am so grossed out.

I just can't stay at the MO anymore though. :( I was so bored the last time that I switched hotels for the next cruise. Yes, it's a beautiful hotel. Yes the rooms are beautiful. But there is nothing around it. You have to take a taxi to get anywhere from that hotel.

But the kids liked watching the dogs walk around the doggie park. ;)

I just can't stay at the MO anymore though. :( I was so bored the last time that I switched hotels for the next cruise. Yes, it's a beautiful hotel. Yes the rooms are beautiful. But there is nothing around it. You have to take a taxi to get anywhere from that hotel.

But the kids liked watching the dogs walk around the doggie park. ;)

Everyone has their own opinion/experience. The Mandarin is our favorite hotel- stayed there before our last 3 cruises and spent 5 days there this past June celebrating DH's 40th birthday. My 7 year old son talks about the hotel more than the cruises lol. The service is amazing and my son loves all of the attention he receives from the staff. Front desk usually sends up a gigantic cookie and glass of milk for him after check-in. We have never been bored there but it is definitely a place for relaxing. We enjoy lounging by the infinity pool and napping on the beds and hammocks on the beach with the city in the background. We also enjoy walking the couple of miles around Brickell Key looking for dolphins and the cruise ships. They have a cool scavenger hunt for kids with neat prizes. And Bayside is a cheap cab ride away. We are spoiled by the M.O. and can't imagine staying anywhere else in Miami but to each his own. They are lots of great hotel choices in Miami.

Actually CondeNast Traveler Magazine did a story about this about 5 months ago. They brought in a team of scientists to check rooms for cleanliness based on the price they paid for the rooms. They did actually find a corelation to the amount of germs in the room in relation to the price they paid for the room.

The least amount of germs they found was at a Mandarin Oriental (which was funny cause we happen to be staying there only a few weeks later after I read the article).

In the article they said there are "Hepa rooms" at the Mandarin Oriental that are designed for people with severe allergies or health issues in mind. ;) But when you are staying at the Mandarin Oriental, prices start at $700/night. So it BETTER be clean for that price. lol

If I can find the article I will link it here. It was pretty interesting.

Edited to say - found it. Here's the article about the different hotel rooms

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/detail?articleId=10623

Thank you for the article!

I didn't know that the MO had a hotel in Miami. :confused: We have stayed at the Mandarin in Hawaii - post Serenade cruise and it was one of our favorites, although our suite was connected to another room and the occupants came in very late at night (early morning) and turned on the TV full blast.:mad: We let them know that we didn't appreciate the "wake-up call" and all was quiet the rest of our week.

I've heard the vegas urban legend myself, that's not to say that it doesn't really happen. Rarely, however, is a body "misplaced" under a bed and not found by the maids...they've heard the legend, too. They normally check under the bed for lost items or anything that could have rolled under there.

Maybe he asked for "late check-out". ;) :D :p :D

Seeeeeeeee, there is a reason why some of us only drink bottled spring water:eek: :p

I have to admit that I avoided viewing the video because as one poster said, "ignorance is bliss" but changed my mind after seeing the thread with the poll. OMG!!! :eek: I NEVER would have believed that. I do drink bottled water and will continue from here on out and if I have to, I will travel with my own drinking glasses too!!! Glass cleaner spray and dirty towels!!!! :eek: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew is an understatement!!!

I always bring my own cups, not for cleanliness but because thos eglasses are so small. I bring a 32 ounce cup with me, yes, even to the cruise. I use it for any drinks in the room. Never use the room glasses. Now I feel better knowing this.

OK - some perspective.

I have questions.

How long have we been traveling? How often have we stayed in a hotel/motel room? How many days have we spent in a ship cabin?

How often have we gotten sick when we did? Shouldn't we all be dead?

Based on the news reports by the media, aren't we going to get the norovirus every time we set foot on a ship?

Look what happened to Howard Hughes.

Just thought I'd ask.

Well said. One of the problems in society is that we become overly clean freaks. We weaken our own immune system. I am a in between person. I do carry a little of sanitizer with me and I am vary of shaking peoples hands knowing that they may not have washed their hands after going to the bathroom. I never use hotel cups or glasses anyways. I am hardly worried about the carpet. Unless you lick the carpet or lay there with an open wound I doubt that your feet will be carrying any major diseases.

What I always want is clean sheets and a clean bathroom (no mold). This kind of stuff goes on forever. It is not new. Restaurants are even worse.

Archived