Does anyone know the average age of .....

S&S Cruisers 1983

Don't mean to offend anyone, but we had been debating on whether the NCL New England/Canada cruise or the Transatlantic cruise were better for a couple in their mid 40's to mid 50's. We realize that both will be mostly older, but is one more than the other? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want a bunch of children running around either.

I can't answer for transatlantic, but on the NE/Canada on Sept 16th we had an average age of 67 and the cruise before us had an average age of 65. On our cruise we had 14 children. If schools are closed, you can see a change in those numbers.

I can't answer for transatlantic, but on the NE/Canada on Sept 16th we had an average age of 67 and the cruise before us had an average age of 65. On our cruise we had 14 children. If schools are closed, you can see a change in those numbers.

Thank you! May I ask what month you travelled in?

Sorry, just realized the month was in your post!:o

Don't mean to offend anyone' date=' but we had been debating on whether the NCL New England/Canada cruise or the Transatlantic cruise were better for a couple in their mid 40's to mid 50's. We realize that both will be mostly older, but is one more than the other? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want a bunch of children running around either.[/quote']

Can't answer for the Transatlantic but New England/Canada....I've cruised 3 times. Twice in September and once the end of October.

September cruises were definitely better weather and younger/older crowd mix but less foliage/color.

October cruise was much colder (windy) weather, better foliage but an even older crowd.

Lovely ports on these cruises but I would only cruise it again in September.

Can't answer for the Transatlantic but New England/Canada....I've cruised 3 times. Twice in September and once the end of October.

September cruises were definitely better weather and younger/older crowd mix but less foliage/color.

October cruise was much colder (windy) weather, better foliage but an even older crowd.

Lovely ports on these cruises but I would only cruise it again in September.

Interesting.

a few things to consider when it comes to kids

If over 5 - school age, then few travel in during school months. Some still do. Then, the longer the cruise, the less children. Two reasons - school, money and lack of things to do.

Longer cruises tend to get a different crowd since they can take the time off. Most (not all) TA are well over a week, sometimes 10-14 days. Most working parents can not take that much time off, afford it and or take kids out of school.

Most working parents can not take that much time off, afford it and or take kids out of school.

The "time off work" may be an issue in the US but here in the UK and elsewhere in Europe we get many more vacation days. And to say that working parents can't "afford it", well - something of a presumption on your part, I think!!

The "time off work" may be an issue in the US but here in the UK and elsewhere in Europe we get many more vacation days. And to say that working parents can't "afford it", well - something of a presumption on your part, I think!!

I hate to call people out but you yourself are being presumptious.

Its structured differently I the USA – far longer summer holidays for the kids – but much shorter vacations elsewhere. That translates into less holiday time being taken with kids at easter, xmas half term but lots more in June, and July when compared to the UK. The total school time is about the same (186 days I believe..)

Fixed holidays – ie xmas, Easter etc – they are roughly the same number of days – but at different time. I get the same number of Bank holidays here in the states as I did when I was in England.

Finally – vacation time – I think that generally in the USA there are less per person there are still plenty of people who get the same – or more.

I’m not even going to touch the “can afford” comments!!! :-)

I am not going to touch those comments either, plus I wonder where someone got the average age for a cruise just a few months ago. Even we agents don't have that much input. The time of year and length of cruise does have a barring on the average age. Anyone in their late 40s plus could feel comfortable on cruising the Atlantic or the NE/Canada intinerary.

Nita

The average age of the cruisers on our September 16th cruise was announced at the meet and greet by Hugo, the Hotel Director who also told us about the previous cruise as well. The comments were that the crew was enjoying the older crowd because two weeks previously they had over 600 children on board. That would have been the last week in August. We were surprised with these numbers. I would not hesitate to go in September again. It was one of the best cruises I have taken.

Actually, the AVERAGE AGE is of little value. I could give some really examples, but that is an exercise in futility.

It appears that the real question the OP should have asked is "are there many kids onboard?", or something along those lines.

As the comments about "working parents", I did use the term "most". Of course, lots of people still have plenty of money and time off, but most do not.

Actually, the AVERAGE AGE is of little value. I could give some really examples, but that is an exercise in futility.

It appears that the real question the OP should have asked is "are there many kids onboard?", or something along those lines.

As the comments about "working parents", I did use the term "most". Of course, lots of people still have plenty of money and time off, but most do not.

Actually, to be blunt, I wanted to know if we would be bored stiff if all of the older passengers were in bed by 8pm, would there be much to do on the ship after their bedtime and would the ship be quiet with no night life!:eek:

The average age of the cruisers on our September 16th cruise was announced at the meet and greet by Hugo, the Hotel Director who also told us about the previous cruise as well. The comments were that the crew was enjoying the older crowd because two weeks previously they had over 600 children on board. That would have been the last week in August. We were surprised with these numbers. I would not hesitate to go in September again. It was one of the best cruises I have taken.
thanks for the information. Isn't it amazing the difference a couple of weeks can make?

Nita

As far as TA, have never been on one. We dont have the time OR money... We are working people. We would also LOVE more than anything to take our grown children now, but cant afford it...couldnt afford it in earlier yrs either!!! LOL poor kids. ;)

Do take into consideration, the older crowd are more experienced, wiser, and have GREAT sences of humor!!! Id rather do a more mature cruise than one with children. since you have to watch over kids..yes they are cute and sweet, but, still have to be watched over.. 'been there done that'.. my kids now are early 20s. (just speaking from 'experience' here)

something else to remember. on our last cruise, we had a meet n greet. ages 30s through 50s. there was actually NO age difference to be seen in us. it was great.. and if you DO meet others older, not OLD, but a bit older, there is a small difference, they may be a little slower than the more youthful age, but you can always say to them, if you have made friends with someone a few yrs older than yourself, which they would love, is, we will go ahead of you and save you a space with us!!!

Look at it positively....not like you will be with a bunch of geriatric patients in wheel chairs in a nursing home...ITS NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL... you will enjoy your cruise no matter what the age.. i love the more mature cruises....they WILL be out there partying too, till the wee hours of the morning...

YOU WILL have FUN!!! ENJOY it !!! :D

THe question you asked was average age but you did not ask the undelying question- what are you looking for in terms of ship mates. Caribbean destiantions will attract a different group than fall foliage trips to Canada. Alaska will be different than the Mexico. I would think your focus should be on what makes a trip work for you -avoid spring break week if you are sensitive to hundreds of kids of all ages swarming everywhere. Avoid 14 day repo cruises if you are looking for playmates for your 12 year old.

Just adding my two cents worth as well.... and please y'all, don't take offense....

Wanting to know the average age of a cruise is very important. Our party was 47, 49 and 19 on a PRINCESS cruise. We like the nightly shows, pool parties, and late night comics. Sailed in Feb. of 2007 and we knew we were in trouble when during boarding, we were surrounded by elderly (75+) with oxygen tanks, wheelchairs, etc. This didn't bother me, but all the activities were geared for an older crowd.. Even the evening shows were all "Lawrence Welk" type music.... no-one went for karaoke.... and as mentioned above.... by 8 p.m. everyone was asleep!

We are trying NCL for the first time this year... I hope it will be better.

Carnival is always great...just tired of their itinerary and food.

I agree. When my kids were at home, the budget certainly was a lot tighter. I think the one's getting fired up on that comment are being a little on the pretentious side.

I dont think that is a silly question to ask, I have been on both a NCL ship and a Carnival "fun ship" and I much more enjoyed the NCL ship because the lack of kids running around, nothing against kids when the are under controll. but on the "fun ship" the ran the halls over runned the pool, "why dose it smell like urine in the pool did you kids pee in here too?", I am on vacation to get away from it all, so control your kids and let me enjoy it.....sorry was I going on to long???:o hey any way to have that hawaiian flash back check out my website in progress http://www.freewebs.com/tropicaljeff/

have a great trip it is all what you make of it!

Just adding my two cents worth as well.... and please y'all, don't take offense....

Wanting to know the average age of a cruise is very important. Our party was 47, 49 and 19 on a PRINCESS cruise. We like the nightly shows, pool parties, and late night comics. Sailed in Feb. of 2007 and we knew we were in trouble when during boarding, we were surrounded by elderly (75+) with oxygen tanks, wheelchairs, etc. This didn't bother me, but all the activities were geared for an older crowd.. Even the evening shows were all "Lawrence Welk" type music.... no-one went for karaoke.... and as mentioned above.... by 8 p.m. everyone was asleep!

We are trying NCL for the first time this year... I hope it will be better.

Carnival is always great...just tired of their itinerary and food.

To be honest, that is what I was afraid of. I'm sure we will have a great tim anyway, but we do like the nightlife of the ship.

My son (12 at the time) and I were on a 10-day Celebrity last year in January. Only 11 kids on the ship...none his age. Conversely, we were on NCL 5 years ago over Thanksgiving (we leave this year in two days!) and there were over 500 kids. Figure I owe him that after having to play ping-pong with me all last cruise! lol The people at our table last year (not freestyle) were 60to 80...my son absolutely loved their stories, and looked forward to dinner every night.

Archived