TOGs Go Sailing with Pudsey...

Toffeegirl68

Pudsey Bear and a load of old TOGs are sailing on the Queen Victoria next year on the Ancient Wonders of the Mediterranean II (17 - 29 November 2008)

http://www.cunard.co.uk/news/default.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=6859&Active=News

http://www.togscalendar.org/voyage.htm

You have been warned!

J

I am getting concerned about this as I am booked on this cruise. We are US based and I have never heard of all this. I have written to my travel agent asking her whether I should be concerned. I don't want to be run over by 'intrepid travelers' or be shaken for donations.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether we should cancel or will we be 'above it' in Queens Grill?

The donations will come from Cunard as part of the booking. I can't imagine that anyone will be shaking collection tins under your nose.

The whole point of being a TOG is that you are over 30 but are not stuck in the mud..... so this is just a group of like minded people looking to travel together. (I'm not sure how often other groups travel with Cunard...)

Why not email the TOG Calendar team and express your concerns. I don't know them personally but I am sure that they will want to reassure you (being a non-Brit) that they will not be turning the ship into something that resembles a 'party' cruise line.

A quote from them: If you do have specific questions relating to TOG activities, and bear in mind these are still in an embryonic planning stage, email us at togsvoyage1@ntlword.com and we will be happy to respond.

I put the post in so that if you were travelling, you would know who the people were.... and not to put you off.

J

I am getting concerned about this as I am booked on this cruise. We are US based and I have never heard of all this. I have written to my travel agent asking her whether I should be concerned. I don't want to be run over by 'intrepid travelers' or be shaken for donations.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether we should cancel or will we be 'above it' in Queens Grill?

I can't comment on this particular cruise, however our very first cruise was billed as Coronation Street Themed:eek: We nearly cancelled because of that. Had it not been for the brochure we wouldn't even have noticed that there was anything "special" going on.

I am quite certain that on QE2 it would not impact on any of the grills and on QM2 I'm fairly sure it wouldn't. The QV hasn't started sailing yet but I still think it would be unlikely Cunard would let it affect their top revenue earning passengers.

Pudsey Bear and a load of old TOGs are sailing on the Queen Victoria next year on the Ancient Wonders of the Mediterranean II (17 - 29 November 2008)

You have been warned!

J

J!! A Load Of Old Togs Eh!!;) And one has to be over 30 to be part of this elite:rolleyes: gathering! No chance for me then, well past that sell by date here!!:p

Just hope the Old Git TW himself does the right thing this year for Pudsey and presents the show for 'Nowt' as we say up here in Yorkshire!!:)

Really can't imagine the TOGS parading around QV with the big yellow buckets and a bear in tow though!!:D

Just my thoughts :)

Jackie

You should not be concerned. IF any of the group books Queens Grill, you won't know who they are. IF there is any group gathering you wouldn't even notice it, unless it is pointed out to you. This is just a marketing "thing", as the Coronation Street cruise, to attract some like-minded folk and hope they book. This will be a handful of people, not a shipload!

Many times out of New York City "themed" or "group" sailings happened ... you may have noticed some '30s-looking characters in costumes, part of some "mystery" jaunt, but if you didn't participate and play in the game, none of it affected you. The "theatre" cruise? Just some lectures, open to all. Ditto the Steinway cruise, some piano playing, daily. In America, what of the Red Hat Ladies? If they don't gather all in red hats, and you saw them, you'd not know they were on.

I'm sure TOGs will do nothing more than amuse ... IF you even notice. You've no worry.

Given that the purpose of the Pudsey thing is to raise money for "Children in Need" (aka the Terry Wogan retirement fund) and the general activity level in the UK around that time, I cannot see that the TOG presence will be either benign or unobtrusive.

David

Given that the purpose of the Pudsey thing is to raise money for "Children in Need" (aka the Terry Wogan retirement fund) and the general activity level in the UK around that time, I cannot see that the TOG presence will be either benign or unobtrusive.

David

That's what I am worried about.

David

That would be my feeling. And the idea of being surrounded by Pudsey bear would seriously worry me.

And adding a lot of followers of the Light Programme makes it worse. Home Service or Third Programme - fine. Otherwise deeply worrying......

Matthew

That would be my feeling. And the idea of being surrounded by Pudsey bear would seriously worry me.

And adding a lot of followers of the Light Programme makes it worse. Home Service or Third Programme - fine. Otherwise deeply worrying......

Matthew

At risk of being alarmist, I must advise that I have seen passengers listening to Radio 1.

How standards drop!

David

You'll have to explain.

Matthew

I believe that it is a wireless channel used to transmit atonal sound accompanied by seismic rumblings. I am advised by the one remaining teenage homo sapien who continues to invade my house that it is music.

I, however, am unconvinced.

I suspect that once he enters the human race, he will understand his error.

David

I believe that it is a wireless channel used to transmit atonal sound accompanied by seismic rumblings. I am advised by the one remaining teenage homo sapien who continues to invade my house that it is music.

I, however, am unconvinced.

I suspect that once he enters the human race, he will understand his error.

David

I must ask Kirsten about this. I had been under the impression that she broke the radio in my car every time she used it, but your description of the general cacophony that is unleased by her settings is strangely familiar. I simply could not believe that the noise was intentional.

If it happens to be the same thing, then we suffer together.

Matthew

You let her drive your car:eek: Oh boy - you must really have fallen for her:D

She drove my M3 convertible within weeks of us meeting. I don't have that anymore, and anyway these days she she does all the driving, all the time. I doubt I have driven 25 miles in the last three months.

Matthew

She drove my M3 convertible within weeks of us meeting. I don't have that anymore, and anyway these days she she does all the driving, all the time. I doubt I have driven 25 miles in the last three months.

Matthew

Ah, now I understand. She is your chauffeuse :)

David

Oh that is so sweet, but what is a TOG? Is it something too risque to mention in full?:o Is it something every adult except me already knows? Has my education been desperately lacking?:confused:

Jane - I know that you keep asking! I don't know either and was waiting in the hope someone would reply to you and save me from showing my ignorance:o

I think that the fact that we don't know just goes to show how desperately sweet and innocent we are:)

Jane - I know that you keep asking! I don't know either and was waiting in the hope someone would reply to you and save me from showing my ignorance:o

I think that the fact that we don't know just goes to show how desperately sweet and innocent we are:)

according to the first link its "Terry’s Old Geezers and Gals" & they make celebrity calendars http://www.togscalendar.org/About.htm

I came on to tell you all off;) - 22 replys, when my thread on this subject was ignored:eek:, but I see it has just 'degenerated' into the usual chaos :p & long may it continue:)

Karen

Archived