St Maarten

I would like to suggest you you take one of the cars and driver at the dock. We did that (four of us) and had a most enjoyable time. She took us where we wanted to go and waited for us at various venues. I forget the price, but we thought it very reasonable.

There are some great views, but the roads are windy. With a driver everyone gets to see the sights.

Mocorobabe

Dh and I rented a jeep and drove all over the island. It was a great day. The roads are pretty good and easy to drive. The island is small, so no worries about getting lost. We just planned on returning to the ship 2 hours before departure to account for any traffic. It worked out great, a very free, adventurous day for us. :)

we rented a "driver" for the day in St. Maarten to see the sights on the French side... he took us where we wanted all day for about $40 for the four of us.

Is renting a driver different from taking taxis? We looked at what people said taxi fees were to various places and it seemed like renting a car was cheaper, but can you rent a driver for all day?

Will he sit there while we are at the beach for three hours?

What has been your experience?

Leaving in two weeks!!

The Lynn's

If you do end up renting a car, I would suggest one of the small Hyndai's - that is what most people drive there and they zip around those mountain roads very easily! We spent a week there this summer and really enjoyed it. It is very easy to get around and not get lost.

On our last cruise stop there, we used a driver named Bernard who drove us around the whole island and then left us at Orient Beach for 2 or 3 hours. I believe it was $25/each. He was great - you could probably find his email over on the St. Marteen board.

That video actually kind of freaks me out! The plane is soooo close:eek:

I don't know if I would be on that beach just standing there watching that...I mean what if the plane missed.....ahhhhhhhhh!

If you have never been there, you are truly missing something. We actually spent an entire day there a couple of years ago when we stayed in SMX for a whole week. Watching those planes come in is a unbelievable experience, watching people get sandblasted is a hoot. We stayed long enough to watch the sunset, awesome.

Have also gone there when we were in SMX on a cruise. So much fun!!

Archived