Ramps with steps - Any thoughts would be suggested!

Micmac

We are doing the Panama Canal trip in Dec. on the Volendam. We will be traveling with a child who is a quad in a powerchair. Transfer is done only by hoyer and while she has a manual chair, she can spend only a limited time out of the powerchair because of need for the lean back switch for pressure on her back, etc.

We got this message today from the TA from HALs Compliance Office. As you can imagine, we are a little upset since we had assumed that tendered ports were a no-go, but never assumed we would have a problem with our docked ports of call:

On this itinerary the Port of Aruba does have two steps at the bottom of the gangway to lessen the angle of the gangway ramp. It has been this way the entire last season and I expect it to be the same this season. It has never really been a big problem for guests to get off the ship in wheelchairs as we have the MAT/FAT team on hand to assist. We normally request that if the guest can walk a little we will just carry the chair off the ship. It is of course dependent on the wheelchair weight as well, most guests in the heavy wheelchairs are not adverse to renting a lighter wheelchair to go off in ports, or oftentimes bring their own standard chair with them to make it easier. Guests with no mobility are a different story as it requires us clearing the assistance off the ship with the CO to see if it is safe or even possible. We always have MAT/FAT team on standby and they are ready to assist guests to return to the ship. If it is an exceptionally heavy chair then they need to be given a time to be on standby, if the guest is late back then it does take time to assemble the additional staff to assist. They are generally from Housekeeping or Dining and are pulled from their onboard job to assist.

In addition, we are being told that stairs on the gangway at Curacao will be dependent on where we dock. Therefore, it is possible that on a 10 day cruise, we will be able to go into one port - Costa Rica.

I know that at least one person had posted on here months ago that they were going to attempt to use some ramp extenders. We are certainly open to taking them if anyone knows they will work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated to help us make the most of the trip for her. In addition, we will be planning on videotaping the ramps to show HAL how impossible it is for a non-mobile wc user.

Thanks!

Michelle

in aruba it probably depends on how many ships are in port. There is a poertable ramp-type gangway that RCI uses for Adventure of the Seas, however I've seen other ships use it also when that ship isn't in port, including HALs Westerdam. Interestingly enough they (RCI) made the ramp after I informed them of the problem several years ago. As near as I can recall when the ships use the steps at that port, it's about 5 or so steps down.

Also, it;s about 2 steps down to the pier from where you exit, but you don't have to down to the pier -- just go through the cruise ship terminal for level access to the path to town.

Curacao -- all the ship i've been ther (including HAL) have had level gangways. Never heard a compalint form any readers on that port. But I hav to say it's not uncommon to have a step thrown in now and again at some Caribbean ports.

When you say ramp extenders are you talking about portable suitcase ramps. I know some folks who travel with those but don't know how HAL would feel about you setting one up on the gangway (safety issue). I do know folks who use them for renting standard vans or for one or two steps up at doorways.

You also might want to ask about an alternate (crew/supply) exit. Sometimes those are ramped as they have to get supplies in and out on carts.

Candy

In addition, we are being told that stairs on the gangway at Curacao will be dependent on where we dock.

Michelle

I was on this cruise in April, but have no recollection of the mobility situation. On the HAL board now, there are a number of pictures of Curacao (courtesy of RevNeal), but none that show the step area.

They used to dock in the inner harbor (a river, really), which is shown in the photo without a ship - a floating bridge opens to allow access - the dock is on the left. In April and on the current cruise, the ship has docked at a small concrete pier outside of the harbor - shown in the picture with the Volendam.

cur16.jpg.49603a9045397e97dd81406e09cc519d.jpg

curvol4.jpg.1035feb7631128ba407f6a2d9a82b4cc.jpg

Thanks for your comments. Definitely gives us some ideas of other options!

I am anxiously awaiting Rev Neals return, as he had promised to try and take some pictures of the ramps for us - just so we knew what to expect.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens-

Michelle

I was on this cruise in March. The ship and crew and food and service were all top notch. Getting off the ship in Curacau and Aruba in my powerchair was not easy. The information from HAL is correct. There are two steps at the end of the gangway. In Aruba, I just stayed onboard rather than cause a ruckus. Even though Aruba is one of my favorite ports, since I had been there before, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to try to get off. I was determined to get off in Curacau if possible. When I went to the gangway, I was told to go back to the Pursers desk to make arrangements. They said that if I could walk down the two steps they would have people carry my chair down the steps. If I could not get out of my chair, I could not get off the ship. The folks at the persers desk called for assistance and sent me back to wait at the gangway. After waiting about 20 minutes help arrived. I drove my chair to the end of the gangway, got up and hobbled down the two steps, 4 guys carried my 300 lb chair down the steps, and I got back in the chair. We cut our shore trip short to be back at the ship at a prearranged time to meet the helpers. We were there on time, the helpers weren't, so we waited another 20 minutes for the help to come. The process was reversed and I was back on board. All the ships personnel were very helpful and friendly and did not make me feel like I was being too much trouble. The worst part is that this process takes time and other passengers are inconvenienced by having to wait for me to get out of the way so a line formed behind us.

We enjoyed the ship so much we are considering a two week Alaska trip next summer on the Volendam. I called the accessibility office at HAL to see about the ramps in Alaska, but got very little information. I did learn that the ports furnish the gangways, not the ships. The tides in Alaska make things unpredictable. When we were there two years ago on the Dawn Princess, we got off the ship OK, but when we returned the gangway had been replaced by a long staircase, there must have been 60 steps. The crew was using a handcart to carry the HC people on board and then carrying the chairs up the steps. I was not a popular guy that day.

Southall,

It was actually your original post that even alerted us to the fact that there might be an issue. For that we thank you - or we would have been extremely surprised when we went to disembark in Aruba!

We are hoping that the group that just got back from the Volendam had a chance to snap a pic or two of the 2 steps in Aruba to see if we can't think of an ingenious way to get her down.

Glad to hear that you had a good enough time that you are looking for your next one!

Michelle

This happened to us on a Princess cruise once when we were new to cruising, and we simply threw a (managed) fit and pointed out how !@#@*! stupid it was to have a ramp with two steps at the bottom. They went and found a ramp extender and we broke into big smiles and thanked them profusely. I guess I am still missing something here as to why this is still happening in the first place; it seems to me that if it's only two steps, then it's only a small job to have a ramp that deals with the two steps, no? Enlighten me?

Kristen

In this day and age, it is unbelievable to me that they would still have the two steps. We are going to take some ramp extenders with us, and hope for the best!

Over the years, we have learned to be much more laid back - no matter how much you prepare in advance, there always ends up being something unexpected (pool lift broken, tendering in what was to be a docked port) but we just love cruising too much...

Michelle

You should be able to use the manual chair if someone helps her with tip backs for her weight shifts. We do this all the time, and it makes getting lifted up/down a couple steps much easier. Many of these towns lack curb cuts and ramps in stores and other tourist areas as well, making power chairs very impractical ashore.

DH is in a powerchair and cannot walk. He refuses to get off at the various ports, knowing how limited accessibility is in other countries.

It's bad enough here, where we have the ADA!

We sailed on the Volendam and loved the ship, but prefer the Vista ships.

I hope your cruise goes well and that you can find accessible areas of the ports you visit.

We actually did not book the Volendam for our Alaska cruise. They were sold out of HC cabins for the dates we wanted. Or so they said. We booked the Diamond Princess for a BtoB Vancouver to Whittier.

I honestly believe the cruise lines would rather not have HC passengers and do whatever they can, sometimes not so subtly, to discourage us from booking. For instance, I frequently find HC cabins among cabins listed as available on Princess' website with no identification that they are HC accessible. Anyone can click and reserve without even knowing the cabin is HC. I have booked HC cabins twice that way, including the Diamond Alaska cruise. Of course I have a list of HC cabins for any ship I am considering. But if AB's book a HC cabin in this way, the cabin is listed as sold and is unavailable to HC passengers. It also explains the continued existance of the two steps after so much trouble. The cruise line knows it is a problem, but does not want to make it easy for the HC passenger. Or maybe I'm just cynical!

I always want to get off at the various ports because my wife jumps on my lap and uses me as her personal taxi around the local shops. I just do a little sightseeing while she shops.

In a previous life in higher ed, one of the hats I wore was as an ADA coordinator. What is strange to me is the amount of money that are spent on certain "invisible" disabilities while the visible disabilities are often the ones met with considerable resistance by some. Definitely makes one scratch their head!

We actually got some great news last week on another CC board. A group that was on the same ship/itinerary snapped pictures that gave us encouragement that we could get Han off in Aruba and Curacao. In Aruba, they used the RCCL ramp in addition to their own - giving a long ramp (steepness of the ramp will not even be a problem!). Cruisecal confirms that there will be no other ships in port with us, so hopefully we will be in luck there. In Curacao, they also had a very flat ramp.

Will keep you posted - and also plan on taking pictures to show what does/doesn't work. Have found over the years that a picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Michelle

Archived