Air fares during Jersey winter break

dres40

Has anyone booked air during the Jersey public school winter break?

My DD has 2 days off from pre-K in Feb. (18th & 19th)

What a great time to take a 7 day cruise, right?. Looking at air leaving Newark on 14th or 15th to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and wow is it high!

$1600 for 3!!

We changed our cruise date to March 1st. She may miss the week but the Air is under $500 for all of us and the cruise was the same price.

I don’t think I would do this once she is in real school, but preK I think is no big deal.

Is anyone else flying from Newark that week?

Did we just wait too long to book? Were fares lower at some point?

I thought Newark was in New Jersey? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey

Farecompare.com can answer questions about historical airline prices. It shows graphs going back a year with details of prices in any given month. It also shows you while booking previous offers (and the day they were launched) and best/good and fair prices.

I thought Newark was in New Jersey?

Anyone who lives in or used to live there is either from North Jersey or South Jersey but never New Jersey. No one there goes to the beach either, we go "down the shore". If someone phones you when you are "down the shore" and asks where you are, you are not "at the shore", you are still "down the shore".

thanks

I checked out Farecompare, prices show as steady since March 07. I guess that means the fares for this week were always this high.

That is an extremely popular week for travel as a lot of kids get off for President's Day. So yes, the fares for the 3rd weekend in February were always high. And since even the low cost carriers have had fares available for that week for a while, you really did wait too late to book.

That is an extremely popular week for travel as a lot of kids get off for President's Day. So yes, the fares for the 3rd weekend in February were always high. And since even the low cost carriers have had fares available for that week for a while, you really did wait too late to book.

Thanks for the info. We are new to traveling during school breaks. My husband and I would always travel off-peak times. Once our little girl starts school next year, that will change :eek: I told him to get used to vacations costing more, especially with fuel costs going up.

Anyone who lives in or used to live there is either from North Jersey or South Jersey but never New Jersey. No one there goes to the beach either, we go "down the shore". If someone phones you when you are "down the shore" and asks where you are, you are not "at the shore", you are still "down the shore".

Very true LOL

Thanks for the info. We are new to traveling during school breaks. My husband and I would always travel off-peak times. Once our little girl starts school next year, that will change :eek: I told him to get used to vacations costing more, especially with fuel costs going up.

Unfortunately if you want to travel during school breaks, you're going to have to book as far out as possible. It takes a bit of planning but you'll get used to it, especially if yours is just starting out!!

Hope you have a great cruise!

Farecompare.com... shows graphs going back a year

Actually, it shows graphs going back 2 years. Somewhat surprisingly, fares in Feb 2006 seem to have been lower than fares in July 2006 (say). Doesn't seem to be the case for 2007, however. It would seem that future fuel prices could also have a major influence on 2008.

Zackly! Actually i am in central jersey..not north OR south.....i say right up the road from where washington crossed the delaware!

And what the heck is a beach??? :D :) i think that's what people in the other states call that sandy, ocean place! HAHAHA!

and to the OP.....two words for you:

PRESIDENT'S WEEK!

Has anyone booked air during the Jersey public school winter break?

My DD has 2 days off from pre-K in Feb. (18th & 19th)

What a great time to take a 7 day cruise, right?. Looking at air leaving Newark on 14th or 15th to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and wow is it high!

$1600 for 3!!

We changed our cruise date to March 1st. She may miss the week but the Air is under $500 for all of us and the cruise was the same price.

I don’t think I would do this once she is in real school, but preK I think is no big deal.

Is anyone else flying from Newark that week?

Did we just wait too long to book? Were fares lower at some point?

The $1,600 for 3 actually looks pretty good to me! We are paying more for 4 persons but already promised my stepdaughter to take her and a friend on a cruise that week. All the flights I have looked at out of MIA or FLL that following Saturday run about $1,500 (one way) for Coach!

Btw, my ticket alone was over $1,000.00 (and only Coach). The only good news was that I was able to use $99 companion tickets and by the time I was done I was at the same price as the cruiseline air, but we picked out the exact flights that we wanted.

By the 1st week of September the "low cost" airlines were already at $366 one way. Most into FLL.

Archived