Regent Selling Interest???

jimlssi

Aboard the Navigator on transatlantic crossing. Buzz talk is that, from a yahoo news article, Regent may be selling 50% interest to "Apollo" Group. Any confirmation on this?

News starved from the midatlantic,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Apollo Management, the rumored acquirer of Regent, already owns half of NCL and all of Oceania. The latest that I have heard is that the report that Apollo had reached an agreement to buy Regent was withdrawn by its orginator. At the same time, it was reported in the trade press that Jean Carlson Nelson was balking at the deal as she does not want to part with Regent, and wanted to retain at least a partial interest. That contradicts long-standing rumors that she is disenchanted with the cruise business. Neither party is denying reports that they are working on a deal, so something is clearly happening, but exactly what appears uncertain.

The Apollo group has already bought Oceania and has an interest in NCL. Media and board discussion has been that Apollo will combine the three into a cruise line group that hits three client segments...mass market (NCL), upscale (Oceania) and luxury (Regent -- though not sure it would keep that name since Carlson has the Regent brand/logo -- or whether that becomes part of the deal).

I was just on one of the ships, and when I mentioned the sale to a staff member, there was a wry smile in response.

The deal was to be signed the Monday after Thanksgiving, but was not, so there is confusion as to what is actually happening or will happen. Personally, I hope that there is new blood coming in.

Archived