Alternate South American cruises

TexBear

I've seen many cruise routes that go from Rio or points south to Valparaiso, but does anyone know if cruise routes go north, perhaps through the Canal to western SA?

The trips I'd lie to see would start from Recife or Fortaleza, Brazil to Quito, Equador or the port for Lima, Peru - going through the Panama Canal. Why not have a cruise that circumnavigates South America, for that matter!

At the end of the SA season (usually March), almost all ships move north through the Canal. Some leave from Valparaiso, some from BA, HAL from Rio. And some (HAL and Silversea) go East/North East to Africa/Europe.

Check one of the big online TA's and type in repositioning and March/April. You should see just about every cruise ship that sails SA listed.

i'm considering one next october on HAL veendam. it leaves LA, goes down the mexican coast, through the canal, down the coast of SA then up the amazon to manaus, back out, then heads back to florida. this is a 32 day cruise.

We did a very similar cruise last year on the Veendam and it was a 34 day cruise but didn't go any further south than the Amazon outlet in South America.

We have also been to Rio and done the trip down the coast of South America to Antarctica and back to Valpariso.

Both cruises were terrific but entirely different.

A friend of mine is combining 3 cruises on the new Carnival Splendour in January 2009. She will be leaving from Florida, going right down the east coast of South America, up the west coast and will be finishing in San Francisco. A wonderful cruise of over 40 odd days.

Jennie

• 2 years later...

HAL offers a cruise on the Veendam in October that runs from NYC (or Miami) to Half Moon Cay, through the Canal, and down the northwest coast of SA. It ends in Santiago. It is a 23 or 21-day cruise, depending on where you embark.

• 2 weeks later...
HAL offers a cruise on the Veendam in October that runs from NYC (or Miami) to Half Moon Cay, through the Canal, and down the northwest coast of SA. It ends in Santiago. It is a 23 or 21-day cruise, depending on where you embark.

That same Veendam is now, and will be in March 2011 going from Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale

• 4 weeks later...

hello,

does anyone have any idea of when is the best time....i.e. calmest seas.....to cruise south america. Never been on one and was thinking about going. prefer to cruise on RCI.

Any and all opinions welcome.

thanks.

I currently live in Fortaleza. You are unlikely to find any cruise starting in either Fortaleza or Recife, other than a short one to Fernando de Noronha or down the Brazilian coast, but may find one stopping in one or both places on the way to the U.S. or Europe. You would, of course, have to pay full fare even if you board late. The Star Princess had a repositioning cruise starting in Rio, stopping in Recife and Fortaleza, among other places, and going to Ft. Lauderdale (NOT through the Panama Canal; too big, for one thing-- last year it went to Seattle, from Santiago/Valparaiso). I've seen more cruises stoppng here and going to Europe than going to the U.S., and have not yet seen one stopping here on its way to the West Coast. A travel advisor or Web site such as Vacations to Go can list cruises starting in, stopping at and/or ending at specific ports. Usually listed under "South America" cruises. I don't know for sure, but I don't think you need to worry about rough seas until you get fairly far south, such as Argentina heading to Cape Horn (apart from the Caribbean during hurricane season, of course). BTW, I think a couple of cruise lines have cruises that include a side trip up the Amazon to Manaus, but those are smaller ships (i.e., not the really big ones like the Star Princess).

Archived