Which airline to use Barcelona to Paris ?

I am not familiar with any of the airlines inside Europe. We are going to fly to Paris from Barcelona post cruise for 3 days before we return home.

What airline would you recommend for us to use. We need one-way only.

Thanks for your input! This is the last part of our trip that I have to plan and book.

www.easyjet.co.uk have one flight a day at 1420, about 30 Euros per person if you book far enough ahead. Or as a (more expensive) change you could take the night train from Barcelona (Franca station less than 1 mile from the port entrance) to Paris, leaves 2030 arrives about 0830.

http://www.elipsos.com/htm/default.htm?lang=3

Simon

We used Easyjet to fly to Paris from Barcelona after our cruise. . . it is no frills and has a no seat assignment policy that makes things a little crazy at boarding time, but it was inexpensive and fine. Actually we paid a little extra to get to board first and that worked for us. No free snacks onboard but you can pay to get them . . . and the flight is ony about 2 hours so you may not need snacks anyway.

Please don't forget about intra Europe luggage allowances. Usually 44 pounds, one checked suitcase per person. And one carryon, which varies in size depending on airline. BA allows one suitcase-50 pounds, but you will have to fly through London. Some of the discount carriers are even less.

If you need more luggage allowance, you will have to fly business class-BA, Air France, Iberia, etc. etc.- 2 suitcases-50 pounds each. Business class is usually VERY expensive, so if luggage allowance is a problem, the overnight train is probably your best bet.

WOW. 44 pound weight limit? Is that for all airlines. There are 3 of us and I am sure that we will each have 2 pieces of luggage. We will be there for 2 weeks.

Can we just pay for the extra piece of luggage and weight? I think Delta allows 50 lbs.

Hmmm, a little concerned about it now. I checked Air France rates - I can book a RT for 161.00. (cheaper than a one-way) I assumed that the luggage rules would be the same as Delta. I guess I better check.

I would love to take the train - we will be off the ship early - but I want to get to Paris asap to make the most of the time we will have there.

WOW. 44 pound weight limit? Is that for all airlines. There are 3 of us and I am sure that we will each have 2 pieces of luggage. We will be there for 2 weeks.

Can we just pay for the extra piece of luggage and weight? I think Delta allows 50 lbs.

Sorry, but you're not in Kansas, Toto.

Luggage is much more restricted intra Europe than we (Americans) are used to. Delta (and almost all carriers) allow 2 suitcases, 50 pounds each PER PERSON to/from the USA to Europe.

Intra Europe is a whole 'nother ball game. Air France-Barcelona to Paris-20KG, one CHECKED suitcase PP, one regular carryon + personal item weighing no more than 12KG TOTAL

$150.00 for each additional suitcase. Overweight is 12 Euros per kilo.

Hmmm, a little concerned about it now. I checked Air France rates - I can book a RT for 161.00. (cheaper than a one-way) I assumed that the luggage rules would be the same as Delta. I guess I better check.

I would love to take the train - we will be off the ship early - but I want to get to Paris asap to make the most of the time we will have there.

Take the train-you will be there in the morning without luggage hassles. The train leaves about 9:30PM.

How are you getting back to the USA???

Insetresting Pleae tell.

Please tell, what????

Intra Europe luggage allowances are far lower that USA/Europe luggage allowances. And most intra Europe budget airlines charge to check baggage, even if it is within the allowance. RyanAir only allows 33 pounds of checked luggage PER PERSON TOTAL.

AerLingus is one of the few that allow the USA baggage allowance. However, you have to fly AerLingus FROM the USA to Dublin, then you can take up to two weeks to take a continuing flight someplace else in Europe and still transport your USA luggage allowance free of extra charges. Example of how it would work: JFK to Dublin, then Dublin to Rome for cruise-all USA baggage allowance. Then you could fly AerLingus to Barcelona, so long as it was within a 2 week period of the date of USA departure, and still carry your USA luggage allowance. Only airline I know that will do that in Europe, WITHOUT flying business class or paying extra charges (which are very expensive).

We did a three week land trip of France and Italy and used EasyJet from Paris to Nice. We had one main suitcase each and a "Shoe Bag" that we paid in advance to take on board. Didn't have an issue with weight at all. It's not as hard as it seems. The thing with EasyJet is the carry on allowance is great. We put as much heavy stuff in the carryons.

We did a three week land trip of France and Italy and used EasyJet from Paris to Nice. We had one main suitcase each and a "Shoe Bag" that we paid in advance to take on board. Didn't have an issue with weight at all. It's not as hard as it seems. The thing with EasyJet is the carry on allowance is great. We put as much heavy stuff in the carryons.

But the OP is going on a cruise, as well as the 3 days in Paris. Per his posts, I believe luggage will be a problem, especially with 3 people.

EasyJet is the best of the budget carriers in Europe-clean planes, friendly FA, and generous luggage allowance. But as much as I travel internationally for business, I really doubt I could make EasyJet's weight restrictions with cruise luggage.

But the OP is going on a cruise, as well as the 3 days in Paris. Per his posts, I believe luggage will be a problem, especially with 3 people.

EasyJet is the best of the budget carriers in Europe-clean planes, friendly FA, and generous luggage allowance. But as much as I travel internationally for business, I really doubt I could make EasyJet's weight restrictions with cruise luggage.

It can be done -- we were on an 11 night Med cruise, flew from Barcelona to Paris and back again, and then did a transAtlantic back to Florida from Barcelona. We each had a checked bag that met the Easyjet weight requirements (it was tricky, and we had a luggage scale to check the weight before flying) and then a carryon. Overall we were 25 days on a ship and 11 days on land with these luggage restrictions, and still dressed for formal night.

It can be done -- we were on an 11 night Med cruise, flew from Barcelona to Paris and back again, and then did a transAtlantic back to Florida from Barcelona. We each had a checked bag that met the Easyjet weight requirements (it was tricky, and we had a luggage scale to check the weight before flying) and then a carryon. Overall we were 25 days on a ship and 11 days on land with these luggage restrictions, and still dressed for formal night.

Wow - now that's impressive! I have yet to master packing but I am REALLY gonna try to pack right for this 15 day trip. :rolleyes:

I wish you could book Easy Jet earlier - it looks like they only let you book about 45 days before flight. I am a planner and have just about everything booked except this flight. We are on Delta to BCN and from Paris back to Atlanta.

Even though Air France will cost more - I think we may book with them. It looks like they have the same baggage/weight guidelines as Delta. 2 checked bags up to 50 lbs each. It will cost 166 to go from BCN to Paris.

I have read many posts about Air France losing luggage. I guess we will hope for the best.

This board is so helpful - thanks to everyone for your input.

Even though Air France will cost more - I think we may book with them. It looks like they have the same baggage/weight guidelines as Delta. 2 checked bags up to 50 lbs each. It will cost 166 to go from BCN to Paris.

NOT INTRA EUROPE, unless you are flying on to the USA directly from Paris on Air France. Please read the website. You are flying from zone 2 (Barcelona) to zone 1-France. The USA weight limit/allowance is for zone 5. Click on the Air France baggage allowance by destination map for any place in Europe-20KG, 1 suitcase.

I know I am hammering this over and over, but I just don't want you to end up with a $300.00 bill for excess luggage. It happened to our friends this summer.

And the difference would be what?? On a land trip you tour in the day, on a land trip you eat out at night. How exactly does this differ from a cruise with the exception of a cruise I could send things out to be cleaned? We also started with three days in Paris.

NOT INTRA EUROPE, unless you are flying on to the USA directly from Paris on Air France. Please read the website. You are flying from zone 2 (Barcelona) to zone 1-France. The USA weight limit/allowance is for zone 5. Click on the Air France baggage allowance by destination map for any place in Europe-20KG, 1 suitcase.

I know I am hammering this over and over, but I just don't want you to end up with a $300.00 bill for excess luggage. It happened to our friends this summer.

WOW ! Thank you! And you are right. I DO NOT want to get hit with a $300 baggage charge. I thought I would be safe with Air France over Easy Jet- but I understand now that what I was reading on their site was international travel.

The website for Air France does not exactly make the baggage limits easy to find or understand for those of us that have never traveled in Europe.

We would take the train - but we want to get to Paris as early in the day as possible. I really appreciate your input and for making sure we understood about the Intra Europe travel rules.

And the difference would be what??

A couple of suits for DH, tuxedo/dinner jacket, at least 3 long formal gowns, all the extras-tuxedo shirts, strapless bras, slips, etc., etc., not to mention 3/4 extra pairs of shoes for DH and me. Formal wear alone for the two of us is almost another suitcase.

I can make do on a business trip with a skirt suit, blazer, a couple of nice blouses, and a bunch of silk t's and khakis. One good pair of shoes and one pair of casual. And on a land only vacation, I can do away with the skirt suit. Packing and unpacking and schlepping luggage is a drag. Packing and unpacking once on a cruise is true luxury.

We have done 3, 12 night European Cruises with only a 22 in. roll aboard and a carry on each. We stopped checking luggage years ago. We took many of the suggestions on packing from the Rick Steves website, and use onboard laundry service. We rent tuxedos for use on the ship. Careful consideration when packing, such as the use of 1 color palate makes all the difference in the world. If it cannnot be worn more than 1 time, leave it home.

I didn't see it mentioned, check www.vueling.com It is a Spanish airline, and they charge for checked luggage (8 Euro a bag), but you can reserve space for as many as you want. And, the flights are pretty cheap, so the 8 Euro isn't too bad. There is a 20kg limit per bag, but again, you can have as many as you want. Good luck!

I had no idea that the flight from BCN to CDG would get so complicated and could turn into a big expense for total baggage weight over 45 pounds. I called Air France this morning and you are right. Even to increase the weight limit 5 pounds (to 50lbs total) she said would cost $50.00. (Thats $10 per pound) :eek:

This is making my head hurt. I know I am going to have to pack light light light. I just don't know how I am going to get everything into 1 piece of luggage under 45 pounds for 15 days. Plus after cruising the med - I know we will have picked up extra items along the way.

I do appreciate knowing in advance about these baggage rules. That would have been an AWFUL surprice at the airport.

I am going to call Easy Jet next - maybe their rates for extra weight or luggage will be more resonable.

I had no idea that the flight from BCN to CDG would get so complicated and could turn into a big expense for total baggage weight over 45 pounds. I called Air France this morning and you are right. Even to increase the weight limit 5 pounds (to 50lbs total) she said would cost $50.00. (Thats $10 per pound) :eek:

This is making my head hurt. I know I am going to have to pack light light light. I just don't know how I am going to get everything into 1 piece of luggage under 45 pounds for 15 days. Plus after cruising the med - I know we will have picked up extra items along the way.

I do appreciate knowing in advance about these baggage rules. That would have been an AWFUL surprice at the airport.

I am going to call Easy Jet next - maybe their rates for extra weight or luggage will be more resonable.

EasyJet-overweight charge PER KILO for over 20KG (44 pound)

GBP 6.00

EUR 9.00

Almost every airline in Europe-the overweight fees are at least 5GBP or 8 Euro-about $10.00 kilo.

I know you want to get to Paris as early as possible, but the train sure is looking like the easier (and probably in the long run cheaper) alternative. It would be a real shame to cut back so much on clothing and souvenirs that your cruise is no fun. One less day in Paris would make the whole thing work very easily.

That would be my issue. I could pack for a cruise with one bag, but I couldn't hold back my shopping. If this were pre-cruise, I'd say go with Easy Jet, but post... I don't know. Check the train though, I thought you had to go through Madrid to get to Paris, but I could be wrong.

A couple of suits for DH, tuxedo/dinner jacket, at least 3 long formal gowns, all the extras-tuxedo shirts, strapless bras, slips, etc., etc., not to mention 3/4 extra pairs of shoes for DH and me. Formal wear alone for the two of us is almost another suitcase.

I can make do on a business trip with a skirt suit, blazer, a couple of nice blouses, and a bunch of silk t's and khakis. One good pair of shoes and one pair of casual. And on a land only vacation, I can do away with the skirt suit. Packing and unpacking and schlepping luggage is a drag. Packing and unpacking once on a cruise is true luxury.

Now is that all necessary if you're trying to pack light? I don't think so.

Now is that all necessary if you're trying to pack light? I don't think so.

Why would I want to give up some of the clothes that we both enjoy wearing just to meet airline requirements? Not on your life. I pack light enough for business travel (over 100,000 air miles so far in 2007), why should I scrimp on vacation? I HATE wearing the same thing twice.

I own a global logistics company, so moving freight and people around the world is my forte. I would plan my trip so I either had someplace to leave the luggage for a few days (like leave the luggage in Barcelona instead of dragging it around) or have purchased my air so I had a continuous trip on one ticket (like AerLingus allows). Unfortunately, this is not what the OP planned. So now we have to address the luggage issue. And who wants to do the adult version of college age backpacking????

Archived