Self Service Laundry

cassandra44

I know I'm speaking for myself and many other cruisers when I say that we would love to have some general information about ship laundries. I was surprised to find that the Zuiderdam (among others) doesn't even have a self- service aundry and so I think many of us would find it very helpful if a general guide to ships laundries were included on the site. While this time we are going on a short cruise where the absence of a laundry isn't crucial, if I were going on a longer cruise I would definitely want a laundry on board. The fact that you can use the ship's laundry isn't really a good substitute (and it's expensive) and in any event many of us prefer to do our own washing.

Is this a good suggestion for a future article?

We used the Radiance laundary when we went to Alaska last June. The clothes were returned the next day, folded or on hangers. I was so pleased that I am planning to use their facilities again on our 11 day Panama Canal cruise. I can cut way back on the clothes I bring. I really don't mind paying for a service that makes things easier for me.

We will be on a 12 day cruise with a 2 day pre and 5 day post trip on Carnival Freedom. I am very happy that they have a laundry room.

We will be moving a lot and I hope we can make it with one large suitcase and two carry ons. Being able to wash clothes in the middle and end of the cruise will make this easy.

The newer NCL ships all have self-serve laundries. Soap is $1, use of machines is free.

They DO get pretty crowded on sea days, though.

The key is to use them late at night. That's what we did. Did our laundry before we went to bed. It's a great perk especially on longer cruises such as transatlantic's. It's one of the big advantages that NCL's newer ships have over Royal Caribbean in our humble opinion. Doing the laundry didn't affect the enjoyment of our cruise at all. Saved us a lot of money too.

On HAL, the S and R class ships (older/smaller) have laundrys - the 4 newer, larger Vista class ships do not. The laundry service onboard is pretty reasonable and they have always done an excellent job for me (although I don't have anything requiring special care). On my last cruise, on the Volendam, I did do one batch of laundry (it was a 10 day cruise) - there was no one else there that afternoon.

what is the cost to do your own laundry on carnival (valor).? and where are these facilities located? i was looking at the map of the ship and don't see it anywhere

MO3011..THEY HAVE LAUNDRY ROOMS ON MOST FLOORS ..I HAVE BEEN ON THE VALOR BEFORE AND GOING AGAIN..SO I KNOW THEY DO..IT COST ME 2.00 TO WASH AND 2.00 TO DRY...AND 1.00 FOR SOAP..I BRING MY OWN SOAP IN A BAGGIE..AND A FLEECY SHEET..(call me cheap but i do what I have to do)

we have been doing a B2B now for the last 3 years.(4 with upcoming one)..and I hate lugging suitcases that weigh a ton..so I pack for a week , and do laundry, to me it is not big deal..it only takes about an hour

thanks Montana,

I would never have thought of packing my own laundry soap, but I like the advice and I will do just that. Not as many T-shirts and shorts, etc. to pack that way. Plus the soap and fleecy sheet won't weigh as much as the ton of extra clothes.

As I said in another post on another thread, the more I read these, the more excited I get, and the more tips I am acquiring.

Have fun on your cruise(s). Back to back,.,,,, that sounds like fun. Maybe next time, we will do that.

Maria

I know I'm speaking for myself and many other cruisers when I say that we would love to have some general information about ship laundries. I was surprised to find that the Zuiderdam (among others) doesn't even have a self- service aundry and so I think many of us would find it very helpful if a general guide to ships laundries were included on the site. While this time we are going on a short cruise where the absence of a laundry isn't crucial, if I were going on a longer cruise I would definitely want a laundry on board. The fact that you can use the ship's laundry isn't really a good substitute (and it's expensive) and in any event many of us prefer to do our own washing.

Is this a good suggestion for a future article?

We were on the Elation when I took this picture of the laundry room. Our room was just around the corner. It had washers and dryers and 2 ironing boards and irons. This was on the Empress Deck and I think there was one more on another deck, maybe Main Deck. Travelgirl

47b7d729b3127ccebbe92919450000000056100QZNGrZm3bsR

All of the Carnival ships we have done have laundries, none of the Royal or Norwegian ships have. I usually have to wash out something in the sink and hang it to dry, especially when we are traveling with kids who spill food on their clothes that they are supposed to re-wear. :rolleyes: And once I forgot to pack my own underwear, so I had to wash them out and blow them dry every day.:eek:

I would definitely suggest taking along some laundry detergent--try to find some small sample-sized bottles or packs. You can hang things to dry on the balcony, but I would be afraid the wind would blow it away while we were at sea.

I've never sent anything out to the ship's laundry, but I am curious about what it costs.

We are sailing on Navigator of the Seas in June, and one idea I've had is to wash T shirts, socks, boxers etc in the bathroom sink and then let them dry on the balcony. (Deck 9)

Is this a feasible idea?

I don't think we would air our dirty laundry in public :eek: There is a clothes line in your bathroom, just bring pins with you.

###

Princess ships have several passenger laundries. I believe the charge is $1/load for washing and for drying.

On Princess 150 cruising days=Elite category which includes free laundry and dry cleaning, shoe shining, and more.:D Stay with one cruise line (like frequent flyer miles) and perks abound for those that love to cruise and take longer b2b2b cruises.;) Pack less and come home with clean laundry:cool: . Works for us. Paul & Trudi in San Diego:)

Archived