Embarkation from San Juan?

sludgemixer

My wife and I (mid-fifties) are booked on Carnival's Destiny Southern Caribbean cruise for April 2008. We are excited due to all the ports we are scheduled to see BUT are becoming very anxious about the numerous negative reviews of the impact of PR natives on board. Carnival and Royal Caribbean both leave from San Juan and both have similar bad reviews! I have already purchased my flight to SJ (non-refundable).

So, now my question: Should we continue to plan taking this trip or just fly out of SJ to another Caribbean Island, such as USVI or St. Lucia, BVI, etc. for the week. Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

honestly it is the luck of the draw....this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards...i did experience some rudeness on my crusie, but my friend, who took it a couple weeks before me did not have any issues...

and when i look back now, pretty much all i remember is the fun we had.....while i am not a huge fan of san juan in general (a sentiment echoed by several people from PR with whom I have been freinds for years...) i wouldn't cancel,......

go, take an open mind and enojy your trip! the so carib itinerary is lovely!

Thank-you for replying!!!!!!!!!!!!

We keep going back and forth on this issue but we are leaning on going! I watch BETJ television's Island Lime on Saturdays and booked this trip aftering seeing St. Lucia, Barbados, etc. and know they are very beautiful. I guess, we can only hope for the best with an open mind. BUT, we did spend 8 wonderful days in St. Thomas in June 2006 and feel her calling us back!!!!

FWIW - We've done 11 caribbean cruises, 3 out of SJ, and my observation of my fellow passengers - regardless if the cruise left from Florida or San Juan, is that people are people. Some are pleasant, some are pushy, some are rude, some are friendly, and some are just plain ignorant. Just keep in mind that you will experience all of these on your sailing. Ignore the jerks, and try to have some patience with those whose ways or customs are different than what you are used to back home. Smile alot, you're on vacation. Don't stress the small stuff, and you will have a great trip.

Thank-you for replying!!!!!!!!!!!!

We keep going back and forth on this issue but we are leaning on going! I watch BETJ television's Island Lime on Saturdays and booked this trip aftering seeing St. Lucia, Barbados, etc. and know they are very beautiful. I guess, we can only hope for the best with an open mind. BUT, we did spend 8 wonderful days in St. Thomas in June 2006 and feel her calling us back!!!!

I just came back yesterday, and although there was lots of Puerto Ricans, I loved my cruise. You are hardly on the ship, as this is very port intensive. Out of the 5 islands, St Thomas was our least favorites. That's how good the others were. (I usually love St Thomas). Barbados & St Lucia were my two favorites.

Joanne

FWIW - We've done 11 caribbean cruises, 3 out of SJ, and my observation of my fellow passengers - regardless if the cruise left from Florida or San Juan, is that people are people. Some are pleasant, some are pushy, some are rude, some are friendly, and some are just plain ignorant. Just keep in mind that you will experience all of these on your sailing. Ignore the jerks, and try to have some patience with those whose ways or customs are different than what you are used to back home. Smile alot, you're on vacation. Don't stress the small stuff, and you will have a great trip.

Your observation is on target - add into the port mix NYC and west coast. Fellow cruisers are all the same - we have never had difficulty finding pleasant people to share time with. We always manage to run into people we can spend some time and enjoy it. I know that if we spent a lot of time with some of the people they would realize we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things (so we avoid politics and religion) and focus on the shared things we enjoy about the cruise experience. At the same time there are faces we are glad we won't see again after the cruise . . . the chaise hogs, the row savers in the shows and the buffet rushers.

Both the good and the bad have representation from every group we might create from our stereotype experience that is on board.

I've been on several cruises out of San Juan. Some of them, there have been a high population of locals on board and others not. We have had a great time on all of our cruises and you can't beat the Southern Itinerary for a winter cruise.

My wife and I cruised out of SJ and had NO problems.

We spent a day in SJ before boarding the ship and never experienced any issues with locals.

As others have stated, rude people permeate society. they know no bounds.

Go and enjoy. We sure did and we plan on returning to SJ for a longer vacation some time.

Archived