easy quick q about Roy. Car. credit card

tiredmommy

I think I understand how the vouchers work and how to order them and mail them in. My question is whether I still have to have a valid Bank of America credit card AFTER the vouchers have been requested from B of A [in order for the vouchers to still be valid upon receipt by Royal Caribbean and once we are on the boat] or whether I can cancel it?

I'm asking this b/c we got our card months before the 15,000 extra point sign-on bonus, so I want to request my vouchers, cancel the card, and then reapply to get the extra points.

Thanks!

I would suggest you wait till RCL receives the voucher in case it gets "lost in the mail", then cancel your charge account. I would also suggest considering NCL's Bank of America Charge Card cause it certainly offers better rewards. Either way since you mentioned "we" in you post, I would open a separate (individual account) in your name only, then perhaps a second account in a spouses name to take advantage of these programs. Often they let you only participate once in a specific card offering and then you can reapply w/o special promos, or wait a certain period of time, usually a year minimun.

I think I understand how the vouchers work and how to order them and mail them in. My question is whether I still have to have a valid Bank of America credit card AFTER the vouchers have been requested from B of A [in order for the vouchers to still be valid upon receipt by Royal Caribbean and once we are on the boat] or whether I can cancel it?

I'm asking this b/c we got our card months before the 15,000 extra point sign-on bonus, so I want to request my vouchers, cancel the card, and then reapply to get the extra points.

Thanks!

I don't know if the vouchers would still be valid -- but I believe they would be. They would have no way of knowing if you cancelled the card.

However, canceling a credit card is hard on your credit score. You would be better off simply cutting up the card or just not using it.

Further, you will not be able to get another BOA Royal caribbean card in the same name for another 15000 points. They will catch that and simply reinstate your previous account. I know this because my shifty friend attempted the same little ruse and this is what happened to her. It was a year and a half later, too!

You could, however, open a second account in your spouse's name and use that additional 15000 points.

HTH!

Archived