attire for first and last night

Could anyone please tell me what is the norm for the first and last night of the cruise. I was wondering if a nice pair of jeans would be appropriate. Thank you.

If you embark in jeans and your luggage hasn't arrived by dinnertime, than you would have no choice. First and last night dinners are usually more casual than the others. Hopefully, you will be handcarry a change of clothes for dinner in case your luggage is late.

It's nice to be able to dress for dinner, even on a casual night, you can still dress up a little.

--Judy

To cut back on packing, I wear the same outfit first and last night. Usually it's black pants with a blouse or top, I have it cleaned in between wearings if needed.

I do the same with embarkation clothes, have them cleaned or laundered and wear again. I can guarantee you no one will notice and if they do, they probably don't really care all that much. If they do, well I suppose it will have to be their problem ;)

Some people don't receive their luggage in time, or so I've read. We've always had our luggage in plenty of time, even for early seating. If you want to change, just make sure you have an outfit in your carry on.

On the first night, no matter the cruiseline, if your luggage hasn't arrived to your room you can wear whatever you have on for dinner. Not your fault it didn't show up on time.

For the last night, I dress according to the ship's recommendation (usually casual).

Pretend you are sailing in the 1950's and wear a pretty skirt or dress to embark. That way you will be ready for dinner and look stunning. Always a great way to begin a cruise.

From the male point of view, I always appreciate a lady that takes the extra care to look well put together at all times. I myself always wear a blazer, dress slacks and a tie when boarding so I am not at a loss for dinner.

I also find that being better dressed than the crowd gets me prompt and first class service from taxi drivers, porters, waiters and all other service people.

Have a great cruise and be the lady that everyone notices because she is dressed well.

To cut back on packing, I wear the same outfit first and last night. Usually it's black pants with a blouse or top, I have it cleaned in between wearings if needed.

I do the same with embarkation clothes, have them cleaned or laundered and wear again. I can guarantee you no one will notice and if they do, they probably don't really care all that much. If they do, well I suppose it will have to be their problem ;)

Some people don't receive their luggage in time, or so I've read. We've always had our luggage in plenty of time, even for early seating. If you want to change, just make sure you have an outfit in your carry on.

Hi, I do the same thing, black pants with a blouse or top , which will work for the dining room in case the luggage doesn't arrive in time for dinner. Same for DH, dockers and a nice shirt. That way no problems

Cori

If you'll be doing a Caribbean cruise, jeans just aren't "tropical'!

There will be shorts in the dining room that 1st evening, since many folks won't have their bags yet! On the last evening, you will still have your entire wardrobe, since you don't need to put your bags out til later.

Could anyone please tell me what is the norm for the first and last night of the cruise. I was wondering if a nice pair of jeans would be appropriate. Thank you.

I always bring a nice casual outfit in my carryon for dinner. On the last night I am often wearing what I will wear on the plane next day.

i just returned from an RCI cruise on the navigator.. and saw lots of jeans in the dining room on casual nites.. they even sell jeans in the ship's store!

well you know, that line is much more relaxed now. more of a family line; I do not have aproblem with others wearing jeans on casual nights.

but on Mariner of the Seas we had a table full of people sitting near us that wore them every night I was there, including formal night, one night I was not there as we went to Chops.

The same went for Disney Wonder. In Tritons you are supposed to dress up, women in dresses or dressy pantsuits, men in suits. we saw very few dressed that way,we and a couple of other families/couples desides us-and we even saw a few wearing jeans there.

Most mass market cruislines do allow nice jeans on all casual nights. I just love the argument that jeans are not tropical.........and gowns and suits are:rolleyes: For dinner you won't be on the beach in the Caribbean you will be in a chilly dining room.

Have fun!!!

Most mass market cruislines do allow nice jeans on all casual nights. I just love the argument that jeans are not tropical.........and gowns and suits are:rolleyes: For dinner you won't be on the beach in the Caribbean you will be in a chilly dining room.

Have fun!!!

Celebrity still has it posted that jeans are not to be worn in the dinningroom-or at least it was posted on my September Connie cruise.

One thing nice about Celebrity if yo don't feel like dressing up, you can eat up on the lido and still order wine or other drinks and the menu is good. We did this our last cruise, as we returned from Versailes after our dinner time. I found it pleasant and nice. The food was good quality and they had even put table cloths on the tables to dress them up from the daytime look.

So in my mind, it is no big deal, to skip the dinningroom and eat at the lido restuarant.

I am a little uncertain on this so I thought I'd get some opinions. I am sailing out of NYC this week on the QM2 which is supposed to be a much more formal ship (first time for me). I have all the appropriate cocktail/formal dresses but for the first and last nights I was thinking of wearing dress cords that almost look like velvet trousers with very dressy designer tops. For example, one is a fitted sleeveless cashmere turtleneck (just bought at great Ralph Lauren sale). Shoes are suede peep toe heels. The beau will be in jacket and dress trousers. It's certainly an outfit I'd wear out to dinner in nyc but is this "dressy" for the purposes of a formal ship, or will I "fit in" more with a dress or skirt? I have tons of dresses but would like to mix it up over the course of 10 nights. Plus a stroll around deck at night in the cold atlantic waters with cozy trousers sounds much more appealing! Any thoughts?

I am a little uncertain on this so I thought I'd get some opinions. I am sailing out of NYC this week on the QM2 which is supposed to be a much more formal ship (first time for me). I have all the appropriate cocktail/formal dresses but for the first and last nights I was thinking of wearing dress cords that almost look like velvet trousers with very dressy designer tops. For example, one is a fitted sleeveless cashmere turtleneck (just bought at great Ralph Lauren sale). Shoes are suede peep toe heels. The beau will be in jacket and dress trousers. It's certainly an outfit I'd wear out to dinner in nyc but is this "dressy" for the purposes of a formal ship, or will I "fit in" more with a dress or skirt? I have tons of dresses but would like to mix it up over the course of 10 nights. Plus a stroll around deck at night in the cold atlantic waters with cozy trousers sounds much more appealing! Any thoughts?

I have never cruised that line but I would be afraid to wear cords, even if they had a velvet look.

HappyKS has been on that ship, maybe she will post here.

If you love to dress up, QM2 is a perfect shp for you! I've never been on a ship where (almost) everyone was dressed to the nines, even for embarkation.

The first night there were a group of 3 couples still wearing what they had on to board, you could tell because they were all pretty rumpled. It was February, so fairly cool is S. Cal. a fair amount of people boarded with designer jeans. This group really stood out like a sore thumb, more so than I've ever noticed before, they were the only ones in jeans that we saw. Many people wore dressy clothes to dinner, some in cocktail dresses and sports coats, your outfit sounds like it would fit in fine.

I don't bother to pack jeans when I travel, too heavy and bulky to pack. Knits and micro-fiber clothing is a whole lot easier to travel with, lighter weight, no wrinkles.

Thanks KS. Now a follow up-- the beau would like to wear a blazer, sweater and nice jeans/shoes to board and for our first lunch in Queen's Grill (assuming we go right to lunch). Would the jeans be appropriate for this one lunch (not to be worn again except when the morning we leave)? His all over look is very polished and put together, but he'd rather not wear work type dress trousers for travelling/bag carrying.

Thanks KS. Now a follow up-- the beau would like to wear a blazer, sweater and nice jeans/shoes to board and for our first lunch in Queen's Grill (assuming we go right to lunch). Would the jeans be appropriate for this one lunch (not to be worn again except when the morning we leave)? His all over look is very polished and put together, but he'd rather not wear work type dress trousers for travelling/bag carrying.

His outfit for lunch will be fine. Oh, and I don't think you will have to worry about not getting your bags in time to dress for dinner, unless you are flying and it's the airline's fault! We went in September in Queens Grill and we had our bags by the time we'd finished having lunch.

Okay, one more thing. The current consensus onboard QM2 is that the evenings listed as Elegant Casual are being treated more as Informal, more Elegant than Casual. You can overdo it with your clothing choices and won't be overdone at all. IOW, the inmates have taken over the asylum and are choosing to dress very well. Yay. :p

His outfit for lunch will be fine. Oh, and I don't think you will have to worry about not getting your bags in time to dress for dinner, unless you are flying and it's the airline's fault! We went in September in Queens Grill and we had our bags by the time we'd finished having lunch.

Okay, one more thing. The current consensus onboard QM2 is that the evenings listed as Elegant Casual are being treated more as Informal, more Elegant than Casual. You can overdo it with your clothing choices and won't be overdone at all. IOW, the inmates have taken over the asylum and are choosing to dress very well. Yay. :p

Thanks, Angela! We will do our part to ensure the formal tradition continues, especially since we are representing the younger (30's) contingent. Btw, I have found your posts in particular very helpful in my QM2 planning.

Thanks, Angela! We will do our part to ensure the formal tradition continues, especially since we are representing the younger (30's) contingent. Btw, I have found your posts in particular very helpful in my QM2 planning.

You're welcome, and thanks for your kind words. But don't let anyone else know about this, it would spoil my reputation as an evil monster. :D

When you are onboard and everyone is all dressed up, you really almost feel as if you have stepped into another world. Such fun. Go and enjoy, whippersnapper!:p

Archived