LIVE from Royal Holy Land/Egypt

MercedMike

What a wonderful cruise this is!

We had a pre cruise day in Athens, to walk the Antiquities Promenade from the Temple of Zeus to the Ancient Agora where Socrates taught. Then we boarded this great ship. We have been pampered, entertained, fed and treated like royalty.

First we stoped at two beautiful Greek Isles, Patmos and Santorini. Then it was on to Kusadasi where we visited the little Turkish hill village of Sirince. We had a tasting of local wines including quince, mandarin, melon, peach, strawberry, blackberry and cherry. Of course we bought some to bring home. Then we visited the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Carpet shopping was next and DW found that perfect carpet for the living room. And then -- on to the Ada Saray Hamami for the Turkish bath. It is amazing how relaxing it can be to have a hairy fat man rub soap on your back!

But of course the Holy Land was the highlight. Avitours furnished us two great guides. From Ashdod, Eva took us to the imposing fortress of Masada, the spring of En Gedi, and then to a wonderful spa on the Dead Sea. Floating in the Dead Sea is an amazing experience. After a few minutes of it, we went inside the spa to the heated pool with the same mineral water.

From Haifa it was the trip to Jerusalem. What can I say. We first went to Mount Scopus for the view from the Mount of Olives to the Garden of Gethsemane, the Valley of Kidron, Mount Moriah and the Dome of the Rock, the Via Dolorosa, Mount Zion and the Holy Sepulchre. We then visited the olive grove of the Garden of Gethsemane, Mount Zion, and then to the Western Wall. The experience was far more stunning than any of us expected. This is a Holy place among holy places. There is no doubt that the Great Architect of the Universe has wrought this building. After that we walked the Via Dolorosa to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Avitours gave us great tours in both ports.

Next was Egypt, where we had booked the overnight to Cairo with Egyptian Express. This was a wonderful tour, absolutely first class all the way. The step pyramid at Sakkara, then the pyramids at Dashur. This field is seldom visited and at the Bent Pyramid our group was entirely alone, with only the camel mounted tourist police. Then on to the Great Pyramids and a camel ride. Lunch at a private country club, with a view of the pyramids over the palm trees. After sightseeing, shopping! We went to the Karnak Bazaaar for fine jewelry, art and papyrus. I got a beautiful Court of the Dead. Then to the Nile Hilton hotel, and a luxurious candlelight dinner in their penthouse.

Next morning the muzzein's call to prayer woke us up early, and we walked across the street to the Nile for a sail in a traditional felucca. The early morning quiet on the Nile was beautiful. Then the great advantage of the Nile Hilton -- we walked out the back door directly to the Egyptian Museum. Our guide got us in at the stroke of nine, and immediately led us up to the Mummy Room. We were ahead of all the tour groups, and the six of us were alone in that room with Rameses II, Hatshepsut, and all the rest of the royal mummies. It was beautiful. After quite a time in the museum it was on to the Khan el Kahlili Bazaar and lunch at the famous Naguib Mahfouz restaurant, then time to shop for tacky souveniers in that amazing warren of shops. During the long ride back to Alexandria we had a great discussion with our guide about the Five Pillars of Islam.

Unfortunately the weather has turned bad and our days at sea are cloudy and a bit rough. But this marvelous ship has given us a great cruise! This is a wonderful itinerary.

Thanks for the wonderful report! I'm glad you did the morning cruise on the Nile. There's something about the light on the water and the mist at that time of day......magical.

How is the Royal? My parents are booked on her for an upcoming cruise and are curious what others think of this ship.

Hoping for a full trip report when you get back. I'm waitlisted for the Holy Lands June 2008 cruise.

The Royal Princess is a beautiful ship. I know you will enjoy cruising on her.

To be honest with you, we ate some great salads, drank the water, had fruit and cheese in Egypt with no problems whatsoever. However we were always at only first class establishments. Most likely, the usual rules are better to follow -- nothing that is not cooked, no ice, no water.

Our trip report is posted with pics (yes, I had time on my hands today ...)

Check out our trip report and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

It was a GREAT cruise!

Archived