Name Change on Passport?!?!?!?!

I have a current drivers license, birth certificate, and passport with my maiden name.

Im getting married 2-29-08 and have a wester caribbean cruise on Liberty RCI on 9-6-8.

Do I need to bring my new drivers license, maiden name passport & birth certificate and marriage certificate to prove I'm me?

Or should I just try using my maiden name drivers license and passport.... whose going to know Im married?

ADVICE ANYONE????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

This is what I would do. Do the next trip and keep your maiden name. My SIL travels to Africa all the time and has not changed her name for this reason. She will do it when her passport expires. It does not matter whether you are married or not as far as what your last name is. You choose to change it. So I would not stress about it at all!

Not clear what the dilemma is. If you are going to take your husband's last name, you will need to change your driver's license and passport to reflect that change.

If you wish to keep your maiden name, you need do nothing. No one cares if you are married or not; it makes no difference.

Whatever you do, make sure the name in your passport matches the name on your airline tickets and other reservations.

Just make sure the name on your reservation matches your documents and you should be fine. Since it's often difficult (and sometimes costly) to change names on reservations just decide what you're going to do in advance.

If you recently got your passport, or will have had it less than a year when you get married, I am almost positve you can get a new one with your married name at no cost.

This is true; If your name has been legally changed due to marriage or a court order within one year from the date of issuance of passport, you will not have to pay additional fees.

If you recently got your passport, or will have had it less than a year when you get married, I am almost positve you can get a new one with your married name at no cost.

This is correct. As soon as you get married, you can get a new passport with the new name change for no fee. As long as it is done within a year after getting married. You will just fill out a different apllication. You will also need to bring in two more passport pics. I am doing this the week we get back, so that I can have everything changed over for our next trip.

you have to get a new passport in your married name. Once you get married everything has to be in your married name. unless you aren't changing your name

In my last marriage I waited two years to change my name. There was no problem with keeping my maiden name ever. I am not sure where it states for you that once you get married everything has to be in your married name if you want to take that name on.

This is correct. As soon as you get married, you can get a new passport with the new name change for no fee. As long as it is done within a year after getting married. You will just fill out a different apllication. You will also need to bring in two more passport pics. I am doing this the week we get back, so that I can have everything changed over for our next trip.

NOT TRUE! You can only do this with no charge if it is within one year of the date your passport was issued; has nothing to do with the date you got married.

Link to Department of State webpage explaining this:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

NOT TRUE! You can only do this with no charge if it is within one year of the date your passport was issued; has nothing to do with the date you got married.

Link to Department of State webpage explaining this:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

Sorry, what I meant was within a year from passport no charge!!

In years past, all you had to do was take your marriage license, present passport and drivers license to the Post Office, they had a special stamp that they'd put in there stating that Jane Smith was married on ... and was now known as Jane Jones. I don't think there was a charge - if there was it was small. All that has changed and now you need to pay for a new one, unless you get married within a year of getting a passport. AND they don't pro-rate the fees. This is totally sexist if you ask me. I didn't mind my daughter having to pay to get a new one, but she should have at least gotten credit for the 8 years left on her old one. Next year my future daughter in law will be in the same situation, as her passport is now a year old.

If you think it's unfair, why not write your senator and/or congressman about this issue? I guarantee they read those letters. It does seem fair, especially now that a passport is required for so much travel, for there to be just a nominal processing fee for a name change.

Archived