wheel chair help getting on air plane

WCAB

My Mom loves to cruise and we would like to be able to take at least one more cruise with Mom and Dad. On previous cruises Mom used a wheel chair to the end of the ramp going into the plane but then walked to her seat. She broke her hip in August and we think she would need to be wheeled into the plane but I do not ever remember seeing this done. How do those people who have lost most of their ability for walking get on and off the plane?

Carol

The normal procedure is for you to inform the airline that your mother requires an "aisle chair". She will be wheeled to the door of the plane in her own wheel chair which will then be "gate checked" At the door of the plane, attendants will transfer her to the "aisle chair" which is narrow enough to traverse the aisle to her seat.

Suggest that when you make the plane and seat reservations that you spell all this out in detail. Also, if the flight is of considerable duration and she might wish to use the toilet, you should get a seat assignment close enough that she can at least walk to the toilet.

You should make these requirements known to the reservation agent and when you check-in for the flight, re-state her needs. During the flight at least 1/2 hour before landing, make sure the flight attendant knows what will be required because some aircraft carry their own "aisle chair" but, if not, they will have to bring on on board at your destination. Then they will reverse the process and her own wheelchair which you have "gate checked" should be at the door of the plane. No big deal, it is done all the time so relax, enjoy your flight and your cruise.:)

The airline is supposed to carry an aisle chair onboard for transferring a non-ambulatory person to the bathroom. They won't help with the transfer from the seat to the aisle chair, or onto the toilet, but they will push the aisle chair to the bathroom. If she will need this, be sure that they are set up for then when boarding.

If you must make connections, insist on using your own wheelchair (and not an airport chair) for connections and any waiting time. Not only will she be more comfortable, but it helps you make sure that the wheelchair makes it on the next leg of your trip too.

A word to the wise....if she will need help to transfer, be sure to let the gate agent know upon arrival. It is common that they never get the word from the airline. Also let the cabin steward know about 30 minutes before arrival that you will need the aisle chair, amount of assistance to transfer, and will need your gate checked chair brought up. My dad always gets off immediately while I stay with my mother as more than once someone has tried (or even succeeded) in taking our private wheelchair, thinking it was an airport chair. If you only have one companion, have them go get the chair and assign an airline employee at the door to keep an eye on it, then go back and help with the transfer if needed.

Thank you so much. This board is so helpful. We are looking at direct flights. It means spending the night at the end of the cruise, because they do not offer any direct flights on Sunday but I think this will make it so much easier for her.

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

In Sept. I took my Mom on her first ever plane trip. She has MS, in a wheelchair fulltime and cannot do anything but stand to transfer. We had all arrangements made ahead of time and triple checked everything! Yes, we were wheeled up to the door of the plane and then transferred to the aisle chair. Even though I was there to help they still had 2 porters take her to her seat. The only suggestion I have is to make sure that you get them to lift the arm of the seat on the aisle (yes it does lift) so the bum doesn't get smacked going into the seat. Everyone was wonderful with my Mom and she cannot wait to fly again. A suggestion that works for my Mom when we are going to be away for hours, is to have a catheter put in so there are no problems with the washrooms the entire travel time. The less stress for them, the better the holiday!

Only certain seats have the swing up arm, not all of them. Don't be surprised if even the cabin attendants don't know which ones! I can eyeball the rows and see them now, and we often have to have our row changed at the last minute because even though we were told we had booked those seats, they were actually in the wrong row.

If you purchase or get upgraded to first or business class, none of the arms on those seats swing up.

My mother also has MS, but cannot stand at all, and must be lifted into the seat, so these rows are critical to us.

We also use an indwelling catheter for long flights (not for flights of 1-2 hours), as she otherwise is on intermittent catheterization.

Archived